Skilled Labour // Aid Tools

Started by LouisTBR, October 24, 2017, 07:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Hammer
Craftable, 50x Steel
When in a character's inventory (Not a weapon), all construction is 15% faster and 15% less likely to fail

Drill
Craftable, 75x Steel + 1x Component
Crafting and Smithing (Excludes Drug Production and Tailoring) is 5% Faster and (if applicable) the end product has a 10% chance of being a higher quality.

Pneumatic Pick
(Ah, back to the old days :) )
Craftable, 75x Steel + 1 Component
Mining is 15% faster and yields 5% more resources per ore wall (Stone not included)

Chef's Hat
Tailored, 40x Cloth
Cooking and Butchering are 20% faster

Watering Can
Craftable, 30x Wood
Sewing is 15% Faster, Harvesting is 15% faster and 20% less likely to fail

Medkit
Non-craftable, bought from trader or found randomly (low chance) in pawn inventory
Makes all wound healing 15% faster and 15% higher chance of being good quality, and gives a 15% lower chance of failing surgery
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Boston

-facepalm-

The colonists already have tools. Why is this so hard to understand?

Do people on this forum actually think the people in-game cut down trees, mine metal, or do pretty much anything and everything in-game by staring at the item in question?

LouisTBR

Quote from: Boston on October 24, 2017, 07:17:21 PM
-facepalm-

Do people on this forum actually think the people in-game cut down trees, mine metal, or do pretty much anything and everything in-game by staring at the item in question?
No-one is saying that they stare at the job until it's miraculous done, we aren't idiots. The idea is that actual tools can be made to speed up the work. I'm not suggesting that they don't have tools already, I'm suggesting that they can add boost tools (Similar to the functions of Toolbenches on craft tables).
No shit they don't mine with their hands, it's not that we don't understand that, it's that we're looking for ways to extend the functionality.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

SpaceDorf

-facepalm-

Would it be so bad to make tools a prerequisite for some jobs ?

Workbenches are the Toolbox and Machines required to do bills there.
Toolboxes are the second screwdriver you need sometimes.

But actually using Axes, Picks, Hoes, Shovels, Shears .. Drills and Chainsaws for outdoor jobs would have a nice feeling to it .. and you had an additional animation, when attacking mountains or trees.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Boston

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 25, 2017, 03:57:32 AM
-facepalm-

But actually using Axes, Picks, Hoes, Shovels, Shears .. Drills and Chainsaws for outdoor jobs would have a nice feeling to it .. and you had an additional animation, when attacking mountains or trees.

Per canon, they have all the tools they need already. Workbenches have tools on them (zoom in real close), and their drop-pods came with  hand-tools. Take a listen whenever a colonist cuts down trees, mines through rock, or builds a building.

'Actually' adding tools, much less requiring them, would add completely-necessary micromanagement.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Boston on October 25, 2017, 06:11:32 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 25, 2017, 03:57:32 AM
-facepalm-

Per canon, they have all the tools they need already. Workbenches have tools on them (zoom in real close), and their drop-pods came with  hand-tools. Take a listen whenever a colonist cuts down trees, mines through rock, or builds a building.

'Actually' adding tools, much less requiring them, would add completely-necessary micromanagement.
But requiring tools leads to two outcomes:
One, the tools arrive in drop-pods when you begin, which makes 'needing' them irrelevant as you already have them there for you.
Two, you don't arrive with them, making any sort of early game work impossible as you won't have the means to do it.

No one is disputing that they don't already have their own tools. My suggestion was add-ons; later game boosts to working, like that of a neurotrainer in a way that it makes pawns better at certain things. That way, you get the extra animations and real-life feel to doing jobs without making it a chore to get the tools. If you have a chainsaw, you get the animation and the boost to cutting trees and the like, but if you don't then it doesn't completely render you unable to chop trees.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: LouisTBR on October 25, 2017, 06:32:04 AM

No one is disputing that they don't already have their own tools. My suggestion was add-ons; later game boosts to working, like that of a neurotrainer in a way that it makes pawns better at certain things. That way, you get the extra animations and real-life feel to doing jobs without making it a chore to get the tools. If you have a chainsaw, you get the animation and the boost to cutting trees and the like, but if you don't then it doesn't completely render you unable to chop trees.

That sounds a bit more like performance enhancing research, which could be done without the extra tools .. or a toolshed building that increases workperformance in a certain radius ..
... or again .. better tools for the pawns to use ..

btw. .. you can edit the content of a quote, so there is no need to bloat post by quoting the same posts again and again.
This is a tool that makes finding the actual content of a post much easier  :P
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Limdood

I would hate to have to, or feel like i should, manually go and swap out equipment between every job.

My crafter does both smithing and sewing.  I often have pawns that do smithing, sewing, plant cutting, and mining.  I don't want to have to, or feel like i should, either micro tool swapping or lose time to automated too swapping.

a sizable "NO" from me on this one.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Limdood on October 26, 2017, 10:59:16 AM
I would hate to have to, or feel like i should, manually go and swap out equipment between every job.

My crafter does both smithing and sewing.  I often have pawns that do smithing, sewing, plant cutting, and mining.  I don't want to have to, or feel like i should, either micro tool swapping or lose time to automated too swapping.

Fair enough. That is a drawback to it.

Sirportalez

Quote from: Limdood on October 26, 2017, 10:59:16 AM

For this you need to build a tool shelf nearby that is connected to it. And then you place the matching tool in it.