[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

Are there traders you can sell zombie meat to? Maybe cannibal traders which think it's normal human meat?
Prasie the Squirrel!

spatula

I'm using tons of mods (including events, arachnids, etc) and I've still got healthy amounts of zombies.

I REALLY like how the zombies linger- it creates a persistent atmosphere and there's been times where a wandering traveler or a stray zombie has really created a horror-scenario... which is great. The frequency of bites and airborne events happening seemed to be rarer in my last game which was good- makes those events more special. I'd definitely vote this as the best mod for adding a unique game-changing element!

I thought up a couple more ideas for ya to take or leave.
One might be hard (or another mod in and of itself) but I think it would be cool:

FOG-OF-WAR: What if at night, everything went black except where colonists/lights are? You could see wandering zombies in the day and know where raids are coming from... but at night, you'd have no idea how many zombies were coming (maybe still can "go to location" and know which direction they're coming from, but no visual on numbers). Hauling outside the base would also be terrifying at night, especially after the hordes build up. Include this for eclipses and add a rarer "30-days-of-night" event and it would be really intense.

NO BITE NOTIFICATIONS No one ever fesses up to being bitten in zombies movies and it becomes a problem, but you would be able to tell by watching health bars after a battle, so I think it would be more interesting to not know if someone has been bitten and have top figure this out manually!

DIFFERENT ZOMBIE MODES: With simple enough changes, I think you could make versions for each zombie school of thought.

WalkingDead version: Airborne event is always on by day x, no cures but can amputate limbs
Romero Version: No airborne, all zombie horde sizes/frequencies increased by 2-5x, slower zombies, more bites, no cures
Rimworld Version: Airborne is a temporary recurring event, cure bites with medpacks (heals + chance to cure, so it's still a treatment)

This way, you'd have a version true to your preferred Walking Dead zombie lore (focused on surviving the Zeds), cover the Romero zombies (designed so you always die), and then create a version of zombies more geared towards fitting into the RW gameplay (a more subtle, blended version that would act as another challenge in the world as opposed to shifting all the focus).

You're crash landing on an alien world, so zombies could be explained as an alien bacteria that can reanimate dead hosts- if it gets in you it tries to kill your colonist and can maybe possess them (ie. psychotic - think Rec2) and unleash damage unless you can restrain and cure by making/trading for medpacks/holding an exorcism (warden/doctor=exorcist). This version could also have zombie muffalo, etc, and be more in line with a sci-fi-western than straight up horror. The current zombie mod ends up dominating the gameplay choices, so it would be nice to have a version that would blend in more with the other RW gameplay elements. I can't play without this mod anymore or it's too easy, but eventually every colony I have ends up perishing with it on...

And on that note, I saw Tynan saying he hasn't seen a storyteller mod...

Zack Zombie Storyteller AI - why not create a custom storyteller for the zombies?
Maybe if you like the above idea of "modes" it could be Zombie Zack (RW zombies), Romero Roulette, Grimes' Ghouls, and Indiscriminate Infected (random zombie mode).

I'm not really sure what the game limitations are and I'm not a coder, so just throwing these ideas out there in hopes of inspiring something!

Jdalt40

I don't know if this is already a bug but a dead raider who had just converted into a zombie was named like this: Raider(dead), cooker(dead)

pop

Avis

Quote from: Joshy1111 on June 14, 2014, 10:15:21 PM
I don't know if this is already a bug but a dead raider who had just converted into a zombie was named like this: Raider(dead), cooker(dead)

It has been said several times that it is a feature and not a bug.

Quote from: pop on June 23, 2014, 03:07:03 PM
Can i heal bitten colonists?

Nope
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

pop

Rex705

mrofa

If you have a med bed mod them he will be able to work properly but without fighting, since if he get to much dmg med bed wont be able to heal him out. Other than that yes preety much dead :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Justin C

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been updating this lately. I don't have as much spare time to work on the mod right now.

JKTD1919

Not a problem! I've been building scenarios for zombie apocalypses in the meantime. My favorite is an abandoned military base (where the virus emerged, consequentially, as researchers were trying to make immortal soldiers.)
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

Dipthong

There are things good and things bad about this mod. However, i would not recommend getting it (yet).

The first complaint of mine is that the "ALL THE ZOMBIES" raid happens regardless of whether you are on Phoebe, early in your colony, or if you already have a group of raiders. You can end up with a large group of zombies or "ALL OF THE" zombies even if you haven't even built a room yet, or you're playing on Phoebe. And there are just so f***ing many zombies you will almost without a doubt die.

Now I realize that it's hard to have a zombie mod without having a feature where you can get bit. I understand. However, it's just a hassle. Your colonists get bitten all the time and you don't even realize they're being attacked. And being bitten is certain death. It's condemning a colonist to death after being melee'd once. It's just annoying and bothersome.

When the zombie virus goes airborne, that's when the mod really starts to suck. Because when you start getting huge groups of raiders, it just means you have to fight them twice. Once as their raider form, and another as zombies. It's just so annoying and troublesome and ridiculous. And the shear speed the bodies transform doesn't give you time to get rid of the dead raiders before the bodies turn to zombies.

This mod has potential, don't turn it into a chore mod.  :)

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Justin C

Just a heads up, the Alpha 5 version of Zombie Apocalypse will be lagged a bit due to other projects I am being paid to work on. I promise I will update it eventually.

a89a89

"Warning - while you were reading 122 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post." New record!