Interaction with the cities

Started by Sylvain07, October 27, 2017, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvain07

Hello,

I play Rimworld since 2 months and I think he has enormous potential. I congratulate Tynan for his work and I would like to share some suggestions.

My suggestions are designed from observations that I made when i playing:
When I discovered cities, I thought! "Shit, we can only sell and buy"
Or when I discovered the console communication, I thought: "We can not (yet) do many things with the communication"

A - interaction with the cities
I tried to find ideas "cheap" for cities. They may appear as new shares (icons) as "buy / sell"
Some may appear depending on: the City / level relationship / the type of faction

1 - Sitting / healing
This would continue a journey that goes wrong. Paid if you have a low level of relationship. This can create the following tasks: "for services rendered" if you do not have enough to pay.

2 - Make a representation
This can increase your relationship with the faction. This can be a person who tells stories around the fire (fed, housed and some relationship points). This can also be a company with object like "Guitar", "drum" (but not fed and more relationship points)

3 - Hire a worker
It would save some money and have a mouth less to feed in difficult times. The money earned is based on the pawn's skill level compared to the work involved (minor, farmer ...)
This can create the following tasks: "The faction X gives you to recruit your pawn" (refuse is losing relationship) "Your pawn injured in an attack", "Your pawn fell in love with a junkie and returned to the colony ..."

4 - Hiring an apprentice
Same as (3) for the pawns under 25 years . This would increase the passions pawns for a given job. They can also be injured during his work (comes with permanent injury), displeasing his master (loss of relationship with the faction)

5 - Sharing knowledge
can send a scholar (with high level of intelligence) which would release the " Techniques "by sending data over the communications console.
For me, the techniques are "gun creation", "assault rifle creation", "forge a katana"
Each city may have some available techniques.

That's the first part of my remarks, I would do a second post for the communications console.

BetaSpectre

Hiring mercs from towns would be nice, so would getting doc'd
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Daimonin

I'd just be happy if factions that come to help actually... helped.

So many times (well once or twice), I had everyone wiped out, on the ground bleeding out, when a friendly factions comes to help out. Except they ignore my dying but not dead yet colonists, mill around my base for a few days, and then leave. As my last colonists bleeds out slowly.

Limdood

Quote from: Daimonin on October 28, 2017, 04:20:27 PM
I'd just be happy if factions that come to help actually... helped.

So many times (well once or twice), I had everyone wiped out, on the ground bleeding out, when a friendly factions comes to help out. Except they ignore my dying but not dead yet colonists, mill around my base for a few days, and then leave. As my last colonists bleeds out slowly.

It seems that reinforcements called in to help make their way to your base, mill around for a bit, then head out to any active threats on the map.  If they run into enemies on the way to the base, they will generally get obliterated quickly, as they don't react quickly.

Calling for help is BAD for:
1)sappers
2)immediate attack
3)manhunters
4) chased refugee.  even if you call for help the second you accept the refugee, they likely won't make a difference.

Calling for help is good for:
1) mechanoid ships that have been shot, but not destroyed (the friendlies will come to the base, mill around, and head out to attack the mechs at their ship)
2) sieges.  For bases that have strong defenses, but can't head out to attack enemy sieges easily, that's the time to call in those friendly favors...the instant i get a siege i cash in all that favor i've accrued and the siege is usually killed before they get more than a shell or two off.

Calling for help is hit-or-miss for:
1) wait-then-attack raids.  They might arrive and head out in time, they might not.

It's very easy to see calling for help as useless if you don't know about the approach, mill around, attack behavior that they exhibit.  If you think they're going to come swooping in from the edge of the map straight to your rescue...ummm, no.  The AI-controlled pawns also don't know how to rescue (and such a mechanic could be disastrous...think the 1-hour-to-live colonist that gets downed, and the allied faction picks him up to take him to a bed halfway across the map, when what he NEEDS is a sleeping spot and immediate first aid.  There's no way to STOP an allied pawn carrying YOUR guy), so they absolutely will not rescue or treat your colonists.

To be fair, the range of events that friendly help can be used on makes sense...it makes sense that help wouldn't be able to arrive from off-map to help in time for an immediate, hitting-you-RIGHT-NOW event.

@the OP.

A range of "services" available in friendly settlements would be pretty cool.  I wouldn't like the ability to gain new pawns (other than the already-existing slaves) or lose pawns....

but medical treatment, or food and JOY (so you could go village to village and replenish your joy need) would be great.

I can't see raising reputation as a viable option, as it might then be WAY to easy to boost rep with a nearby faction, which could be abused through calling for reinforcements to come and die for loot, or "accidents" arranged on visitors (the faction loss wouldn't hurt if you could get it back by visiting).

I'm not sure how i'd feel about being able to hire out your colonists for silver....It would likely encourage people to hire ANY pawn, ALL the time, and send them to nearby towns for passive, risk-free money generation...Pyro, chemical fascination, volatile pawn with facial scars?  off to the work camp!

Sylvain07

Hello

Your replies are not about my topic. It's interesting the pawn's behavior and i have ideas on the question. Maybe you can open a new topic.
Sorry for my poor english, Perhaps i mis explained my ideas.

I would when a group of pawns entre in a citie, have more actions with severals icons.
The first time when i entred in a cities, i had hope to see a "cities maps" like my colony. But i think, it's not a "cheap" idea.
So i want know, what do you think about more actions in the cities ?
Have you other ideas about this ?

Recently, i find an other action: Travel by bus
I see this like "mad max", not regular line. If a "line" exist between 2 cites, a bus could go. But you don't know when. You know just the percentage of travelers. it is increasing every day. If you want go imediatly, you must paid more (you pay the empty places). This action may you go faster. Not travel with big animals could be a contrainte. There could be new event like ambush.
I see this like small maps with pirates around the bus. you had to get off the bus  and the melee weapons are the best chance for survive. The bus's sprite (size of 2 solar panel) could be destroyed during the fight, are you sure to walk to the next city ?

Limdood

Quote from: Sylvain07 on October 29, 2017, 06:39:26 AM
Hello

Your replies are not about my topic. It's interesting the pawn's behavior and i have ideas on the question. Maybe you can open a new topic.
Sorry for my poor english, Perhaps i mis explained my ideas.

I would when a group of pawns entre in a citie, have more actions with severals icons.
The first time when i entred in a cities, i had hope to see a "cities maps" like my colony. But i think, it's not a "cheap" idea.
So i want know, what do you think about more actions in the cities ?
Have you other ideas about this ?

It might have gotten lost with my response to the previous poster, but i put this at the bottom of my last reply:
Quote@the OP.

A range of "services" available in friendly settlements would be pretty cool.  I wouldn't like the ability to gain new pawns (other than the already-existing slaves) or lose pawns....

but medical treatment, or food and JOY (so you could go village to village and replenish your joy need) would be great.

I can't see raising reputation as a viable option, as it might then be WAY to easy to boost rep with a nearby faction, which could be abused through calling for reinforcements to come and die for loot, or "accidents" arranged on visitors (the faction loss wouldn't hurt if you could get it back by visiting).

I'm not sure how i'd feel about being able to hire out your colonists for silver....It would likely encourage people to hire ANY pawn, ALL the time, and send them to nearby towns for passive, risk-free money generation...Pyro, chemical fascination, volatile pawn with facial scars?  off to the work camp!

Basically, all of the current things in the game have balanced risk/reward.  Adding options in the cities for things like gaining more pawns, hiring out your (useless) pawns, gaining reputation by only paying with time, safe travel, etc. all removes the risk of those other actions.  I still like the food/joy/medical treatment option - but i think the other options you've presented are too open to abuse.

Sylvain07

Quote from: Limdood on October 29, 2017, 11:49:50 AM
QuoteIt might have gotten lost with my response to the previous poster

Thanks for your answer. For my first post, i was disappointed not to be understood.
But, i realize how is difficult to explain this ideas by writting.
So, i will try to specify the hiring process

QuoteBasically, all of the current things in the game have balanced risk/reward.  Adding options in the cities for things like gaining more pawns, hiring out your (useless) pawns

At the beginning, i think that each city is unlike other cities. So, there are 0 or 1 job per cities. The kind of job are different for each and to hire out your pawns they would have 6+ in the skill.
Your useless pawns can continue to walk around your house.
the job should be over a period of 2-4 season.
Higher is the skill, more you are paid, but money is not the purchase. he should not earn more than by working at home.
But if you have already mined your land, it's maybe a temporary solution
For the risk, i think pawn could be wounded or to be lost. But not suddenly, maybe every three days you can recive a pawn's message of different kind: "It's ok, i work" or " it's difficult, but i continue" or " I like this job ". At each message, there are a probability (which increase) : it's difficult -> permanent wound , i like -> pawn want quit your colony (or you can pay him to come back). I think the pourcent for this event must be low for not to discourage the player. He can ask to his pawn to come back when he want.
there would be new missions
Example: "Message of your miner"
" With 2 other miner, we are gone at the south of the colony (2-4 cases) to build a new barracks of miner. Then we had mined again and again. We had gone too deep and we have wake up terrible monster. For the moment, we are safe, locked in our barracks, But for how long ? help us ! our colony abandoned us"
if you save us, maybe you recruit new pawn (depending your relation) and you find mining supplies
For reward, if you finish the job, you have probability (depending your relation) to recive a new technique to fracture the rock. Maybe Some explosives for create a long rift !

Slimy_Slider

Quote from: Sylvain07 on October 30, 2017, 07:11:14 PM
QuoteIt might have gotten lost with my response to the previous poster

Thanks for your answer. For my first post, i was disappointed not to be understood.
But, i realize how is difficult to explain this ideas by writting.
So, i will try to specify the hiring process

QuoteBasically, all of the current things in the game have balanced risk/reward.  Adding options in the cities for things like gaining more pawns, hiring out your (useless) pawns

At the beginning, i think that each city is unlike other cities. So, there are 0 or 1 job per cities. The kind of job are different for each and to hire out your pawns they would have 6+ in the skill.
Your useless pawns can continue to walk around your house.
the job should be over a period of 2-4 season.
Higher is the skill, more you are paid, but money is not the purchase. he should not earn more than by working at home.
But if you have already mined your land, it's maybe a temporary solution
For the risk, i think pawn could be wounded or to be lost. But not suddenly, maybe every three days you can recive a pawn's message of different kind: "It's ok, i work" or " it's difficult, but i continue" or " I like this job ". At each message, there are a probability (which increase) : it's difficult -> permanent wound , i like -> pawn want quit your colony (or you can pay him to come back). I think the pourcent for this event must be low for not to discourage the player. He can ask to his pawn to come back when he want.
there would be new missions
Example: "Message of your miner"
" With 2 other miner, we are gone at the south of the colony (2-4 cases) to build a new barracks of miner. Then we had mined again and again. We had gone too deep and we have wake up terrible monster. For the moment, we are safe, locked in our barracks, But for how long ? help us ! our colony abandoned us"
if you save us, maybe you recruit new pawn (depending your relation) and you find mining supplies
For reward, if you finish the job, you have probability (depending your relation) to recive a new technique to fracture the rock. Maybe Some explosives for create a long rift !

All these quotes are getting really intense ;) XD