Closed vs. Open Colonies

Started by BasileusMaximos, November 01, 2017, 12:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

ahhh, yes, chicken chaff helps.  I guess this shows there are many ways to skin a cat in rimworld.  (Too often quite literally.  Catskin parka, anyone?)

And I agree with not putting blocks next to turrets -- it kills their field of fire.  Pawns at least make an effort to lean around corners.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: Hessra on December 12, 2017, 08:02:37 AM
Open, I like building aesthetic little towns. It's not efficient or easy to defend at all but it looks nice and cozy. Unless everything is on fire. Slightly less cozy.
Wouldn't that make it more cozy?

Names are for the Weak

I know that closed colonies are probably a far better idea, but I just naturally tend to go for an open colony design. I don't even have any good reason for it. I actually prefer the look of a closed colony to an open one. But I just can't help it. Every time, unless I'm living in an extremely cold biome, I will create an open colony. It's just far easier to make.

dogui

Closed. I use to build basical stone rooms outdoor and after 6-8 months gradually migrate the colony under the caves, digging deeper day after day. Advanced rooms usually are builded directly under the caves. Best defense, in my opinion, is a reduced exposition to air.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: dogui on January 02, 2018, 03:43:53 PM
Closed. I use to build basical stone rooms outdoor and after 6-8 months gradually migrate the colony under the caves, digging deeper day after day. Advanced rooms usually are builded directly under the caves. Best defense, in my opinion, is a reduced exposition to air.
Do you ever have to call the exterminators?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

dogui

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: dogui on January 03, 2018, 12:41:44 PM
What?
He's probably referring to the insect hives that occasionally spawn in caves.

evilbob

I like a closed colony and I like to build in hill

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Stan-K

I love to play open. However manhunter packs on permadeath make that very hard, so I compromise by adding doors in between the buildings - and scramble to close them when needed.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]