[Request] - Bulk Transportation

Started by Olek, May 22, 2014, 02:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorDash

How much can a hopper hold? If it's the same as what a colonist can hold maybe it could be used as the base for the wheelbarrow. I'm fairly clueless about this kind of stuff so I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea.  :D

SSS

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 26, 2014, 03:35:18 PM
...but squares aren't supposed to hold multiple stacks.

They aren't? If not, there's a bug in my game. This happens all the time with me. o_o

pawnstorm

Quote from: JorDash on May 26, 2014, 08:49:06 PM
How much can a hopper hold? If it's the same as what a colonist can hold maybe it could be used as the base for the wheelbarrow. I'm fairly clueless about this kind of stuff so I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea.  :D
1 stack, but putting things in the wheelbarrow isn't a problem, that's the easy part.

Quote from: SSS on May 27, 2014, 01:58:48 AM
They aren't? If not, there's a bug in my game. This happens all the time with me. o_o
Yeah, it happens sometimes. But they're not supposed to, if they were you wouldn't need storage areas, you could just dump everything on a single square.

iame6162013

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 27, 2014, 06:50:11 AM
Quote from: SSS on May 27, 2014, 01:58:48 AM
Yeah, it happens sometimes. But they're not supposed to, if they were you wouldn't need storage areas, you could just dump everything on a single square.
well if that would happen(the fix), it would use almost 1/3 more... That's a lot
to me (#BugExploit ;) )
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 26, 2014, 03:35:18 PM
Maybe you can, but it's easier to just put multiple stacks in the wheelbarrow.

Edit: I would consider making a mod for this if I can find an elegant solution to these two problems:

1. How do I draw the wheelbarrow in the right location without making it look silly?
Consider a colonist moving around a corner with the wheelbarrow, if the wheelbarrow is one square ahead of the colonist and facing in the same direction, he'll push it into the wall.
Or imagine the colonist has to go through a door first. He'll push the wheelbarrow onto the closed door square, then open the door, and then continue on his way.
I suppose I could solve this by making a little cart which they drag behind them and which follows the same path, but I'd prefer wheelbarrows and this still leaves me with problem number 2:

2. How do I handle storage reservations when a colonist gets interrupted while hauling things with the wheelbarrow?
Before colonists haul things, they reserve a storage location for it. Suppose a colonist is carrying some stacks of potatoes in his wheelbarrow, but something happens that makes him stop his job (simplest example, he gets drafted), all the storage reservations will be lost and there's no guarantee there will still be enough storage locations available when another colonist picks up the job again. What should happen to the stacks of potatoes that are in the wheelbarrow? If they stay in the wheelbarrow, the wheelbarrow can't be used for anything else. Should they be thrown out of the wheelbarrow? There's no guarantee that there will be enough empty squares around the wheelbarrow to hold those potatoes. I could drop them all in the same square below the wheelbarrow, but squares aren't supposed to hold multiple stacks.

1. Draw the wheelbarrow so that instead of being 1 block in front of the colonist, make the wheelbarrow become part of the colonist, in such a way that the wheelbarrow only appears to be occupying 1/2 of the block in front, I'll try and get a wheel-barrow on gnomoria and show you what I mean.

2. Can't you code the items (when thrown out of the barrow because of not enough storage space at destination) to spread out (Almost like when one of those pods crash and the resources are scattered) OR

where the colonist empties the wheelbarrow stack by stack and places them on a free space nearby before doing his/her next job? Maybe if it's possible create a temporary hidden "zone" in which the colonist places the items...

I mean the barrows can't have THAT much storage... I am thinking multiplying the carrying by 2x or 3x, so at most they would only be emptying 2-3 stacks... Any more than that and simple wheelbarrows become quite overpowered...

Crimsonknight3

Image also attached if you want to see it larger. The wheelbarrow is textured such that it is sort of "armor" in that it occupies the same space as a gnome, like a gun on a pawn...

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

SSS

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 28, 2014, 06:13:37 PM
Image also attached if you want to see it larger. The wheelbarrow is textured such that it is sort of "armor" in that it occupies the same space as a gnome, like a gun on a pawn...

Could you make the wheelbarrow a type of equipment instead of an object that the colonist needs to interact with? That could simplify things a bit, if it was just a piece of equipment that allowed a colonist to carry an extra stack.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: SSS on May 28, 2014, 06:46:15 PM
Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 28, 2014, 06:13:37 PM

Could you make the wheelbarrow a type of equipment instead of an object that the colonist needs to interact with? That could simplify things a bit, if it was just a piece of equipment that allowed a colonist to carry an extra stack.

I don't know as I don't know the games code, but if they could equip a wheelbarrow instead of a gun and have being equipped with the wheelbarrow increase their carry weight it would be a good mechanic, the only problem is that the game doesn't render weapons when colonists aren't drafted.... So the wheelbarrow would be invisible... Would have to be a good coder to get around forcing the game to render the wheelbarrow constantly if it was equipped like a gun...

gertvv

I made a kind-of related mod: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3940, which lets you craft an autonomous transport (hauling) droid to do the hauling for you.