[A17] Architect Icons

Started by marcin212, November 08, 2017, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcin212

Architect Icons adds visual cues to the Arrchitect Tab. No more random clicking to find stuff!

FOR GAMERS:
To add your own icon or change an existing one, go to the ArchitectIcons folder where your saves are located [example "C:\Users\Marcin\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\ArchitectIcons"]. In there you'll find a text file containing the names of all the tabs you have in your game. The list is created on game launch wioth ArchitectMods enabled. Just create a 16x16 PNG icon with the filename like one of the tabs, case sensitive, and put it next to thge text file. Your icon should be added on game launch.

FOR MODDERS:
If you want add icon to your tab. Just put icon to: <your_mod_folder>/Textures/UI/ArchitectIcons/<tab_def_name>.png (for example: \Textures\UI\ArchitectIcons\Rimatomics.png)

Nightinggale

Now that looks great. It's such a small thing on the GUI, but it makes a huge impact on the player's experience. The issue is that when we sort of know the buttons, we stop reading and then if a mod change the order, we are screwed and click around. An icon is more intuitive.

However I'm wondering if it would be possible to color code each button, meaning in addition to the icon, we have the color to quickly locate the button we want. Maybe the button colors can be configured with HugsLib or set in xml, or both in which case xml will provide the default.

Another thing I'm wondering about. What if somebody adds yet another button? Looks like you would have to support it. It would be awesome if you could borrow the concept from Don't shave your head, in which case if you need to draw say Joy, it will go to a specific location and use Joy.png from that location. That way mods adding a new category can add a png for it and it will work with your mod or be ignored if your mod is not used. Needless to say this will have an impact in how much you need to maintain your mod. Done right and your C# code or xml will not require knowledge of which categories are used in the game.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Kori

That looks great!
Could you please list the mods that are already supported?

marcin212

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 08, 2017, 10:08:19 PM
However I'm wondering if it would be possible to color code each button, meaning in addition to the icon, we have the color to quickly locate the button we want. Maybe the button colors can be configured with HugsLib or set in xml, or both in which case xml will provide the default.
Modder can add colored icon.

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 08, 2017, 10:08:19 PM
Another thing I'm wondering about. What if somebody adds yet another button? Looks like you would have to support it. It would be awesome if you could borrow the concept from Don't shave your head, in which case if you need to draw say Joy, it will go to a specific location and use Joy.png from that location. That way mods adding a new category can add a png for it and it will work with your mod or be ignored if your mod is not used. Needless to say this will have an impact in how much you need to maintain your mod. Done right and your C# code or xml will not require knowledge of which categories are used in the game.
Done in new version.

frogaz

Ruisuki

eagleFMJ

Great mod I love it!

I have a question or maybe a small request,

Is there any way I can rearrange the order of the Icons?

For example under "Orders" I would like "Structure" instead of "Blueprints" and under "Zone/Area"
I want to put "Production" and so on. I changed the whole order saved the file CategoryTabsName.txt file but when I load the game the order changes back to default.

Anyone have an idea of what controls the order of the icons?

edit: Answered my own question thanks to this thread https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35082.0

Basically have to edit every DesignationCategories.xml file and put in the order I want.

Ruisuki

Tenshi~Akari

It's updated on GitHub. You have to change the Branch drop-down menu to "A19". It's just this thread hasn't been updated to show the mod has been.

koviack

thx for this mod it's insane how much quicker i can find stuff now

Icons for:
Definitely More Cannons
Cupro's Glowstones
Planning
Lighting
Skylights
edit: it says it's for A17 but it works on 1.0 for me perfectly

[attachment deleted due to age]