your most memorable colony wipe outs.

Started by crazyroosterman, November 10, 2017, 05:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyroosterman

today i lost my colony of 4(one who was my shooter his lover a brawler and animal handler linda who was 80 and basically couldn't fight but was a master crafter and scientist......and john who I started the scenario with who was a 73 years old bad ass with high stats in everything who got his spine destroyed so before the wipe out I was trying to research a way to give him a new one) because a sapper came found an un disturbed ancient danger practically sitting next to our open plan colony and then dug his way in and met cryosleepers in there and (somehow) convinced them to assault our colony then to cut a long story short it was a valiant defence from my pair of warriors and our pet wolf but the sheer amount of well armed bodies crushed them and linda then they started burning and destroying everything.....except john who I had to watch starve to death in his bed.

this has made me interested in seeing what's out there of which I'm sure there'll be plenty considering that a wipe is usually an emotionally painful thing to watch watching everything you've built be destroyed and/or watching the people you've fallen in love with die.
no rule here said wipe can be in the form of anything for any reason.

grrizo

My most memorable wipeout was amusingly hideous and dark.
I had once a never ending toxic fallout in A16. I had near 15 pawns, 4 or 5 pets and a bunch of livestock. Every living creature was confined in the insides of the colony. Everything was connected through corridors, but that didn't matter when food was a zero.
First and logically, livestock was the supper. Then the pets, that's when things went gloomy and doomy. Pawns were fighting all over the place, stressed by -among all the things- the loss of their pups.
Then it became really dark: the old people had to go to the slaughterhouse. 2 ancient pawns and an unlucky cook were involved in the task. On the upcoming days, 4 or 5 pawns (can't remember exactly) just ran into the toxic mist on a painfull manner due to the multiple mental breaks.
After that, it was a raffle. First in pairs of two, then one by one.

An talking about mist, everything ended like in the book/movie "The Mist" where SPOILER ALERT everyone's committing suicide except the main character. But in Rimworld, no one is the main character.  :P
I had to end it, so I draft the last 2 pawns outside, and that's it.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Chestergazi

My colony has an god damn 7 colonists.
But one day that thrumbo came out of somewhere.
I built five turrets (they was close to each other).
Also I ordered my man to get close to that Turrets.
Sent one of my colonist that has sniper rifle to get her attention.

Got attention quickly ordered him to go to the Turrets.
Thrumbo was in the Turrets sight
Battle has been started.
Oh wait what's it? Someone carriying a god damn Frag Grenades
He threw Grenades to the turrets while everyone was around of the turrets.Yet Thrumbo too.
BOOM massieve destruction everyone dead. Not that colonist who threw that Grenade.
An bond annimal which one is timber wolf stared to hunt that guy and it succeded.

Everyone dead as well as Thrumbo.

BadgeAddict

My Freezer was inside of the mountain, a hive spawned inside of my freezer. Due to the temperature, the hive died, enraging all of the beasties that also spawned with the hive. Wiped out my whole colony.

Call me Arty

I got pretty lucky. Around A16, when I started, it only took two colonies dying until I got the grasp of the game for my third colony, a bunch of crashlanders. Got a Thrumbo, and I guess I got really lucky. One guy with an assault rifle, no significant damage to the pawn and he must've done some real lucky damage to the Thrumbo. Got a little bored, so I started a Tribal run.
Oh, a Thrumbo? Last time I saw one, it went down pretty easy. A couple bows and two guys with clubs will be fine for this guy. Assign him to be hunted and leave to work itself out.
The Thrumbo ate my potato crops as five people bled out.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

ScienceBear

Modded:

Started in ice plains
Hottest it got was around 3°F(-16.1111 Celsius)

Did amazingly well, not many people died thanks to lucky resource chunks and that one trader that sold me 4 days extra food, (enough to finish hydroponics and farm rice)

Built base around a geyser (Sweet warmth)

Played almost 4 hours a day for a week and a half on that colony

Researched everything, got a whole bunch of highly advanced turrets guarding my base. Almost 6 years in (No ship as no uranium to be found)

Suddenly, Raid alert

I check it out, shit loads of Cthulu monsters, somewhere around 50000 points if i had to guess (Call of Cthulu, mods are fun, arent they?)

Turrets put up a good defense, but eventually torn through by octopus monsters.

send my best fights forward, lesser fighters to mortars.

before I can get the shells out, my best fighters are dead.

bust into my base, start eating everything

chase one colonist into my power room where he managed to keep them at bay with some lucky shots (for 20 seconds)

MADness vest time (Mutually assured destruction mod, literally terrifying if you see a raider with it, good luck if you have a sniper)

kills a good half of the monsters with the explosion, leaving only a small 15 more (;-;)

My leader, was chased by the other half, and was the last one left at that point who was still standing. fires his modular defense rifle (Rimsenal I think?)

Manages to take one down with a lucky shot, but gets his leg ripped off, and writhes on the floor in agony

goodbye base, as I watch my colonists all bleed out.

but wait, friendlies have arrived!

Small group of Orion forces (more rimsenal i think, dont remember)

Heavily armed, around 20 soldiers

Wage war

Somehow manage to kill all monsters with only 6 casualites

Our jobs done here, good luck guy bleeding on floor, have fun

Colonists still bleeding out. Still fuck

At least it cant get any worse

Infection in the other leg of my leader, all the other colonists die.

I watch as the infection takes over (He really did not want to die)

80, 90, 95 percent...

Wander joins!

Rush him to bed, chop leg off. Put peglegs on (Weapon to surpass metal gear)

Sends wanderer off to get food as all the rest were burned away by suicide vest man.

Pisses off wolf and dies.

Only leader again, stable but in bad condition.

Raid, again. (Go to hell Randy)

Single guy in full power armor, best rifle in game (Legendary, some laser sniper, dont remember exact gun)

Send my guy to meekly fight back.

Goes to shoot out, My guy manages to get 1 to 2 good hits right into the helmet, through the eye, into the brain

Raider falls dead, Im in shock.

Think, I dont know how, but Im going to rebuild.

Look at colonist, hit in the neck. Bleeding out, again.

Calling for help, but nobody came

I like to think a bunch of cultists decided they needed a sacrifice, and they chose me, when I killed all their monsters, they just hired some dude to come and finish the job

khun_poo

A18, no mod, tribal start, mass beer production...

My colony (1yr old) is not big. We have 8 colonists. Only one dead from man hunter pack ambush in the caravan attempt to sell beer at nearby settlement.

The story is, one pirate caravan decide to visit my colony. They're have 2 Boomalopes to sell and some slave. I have no use for them and ignore those guy completely so that the terrible thing is begin.

The caravan just wandering around in my stockpile area for a day. I saw the boomalope and their packing animal drink my goods (beer), I can't do anything about that so I let it pass.

In the night, the Boomalope they bring just explode out of no where, spreading a big fire to the building. All my building made from wood, so they burn really fast. The explode cause 'Bad will' too, that make the caravan attack me, prevent me from put out the fire. Finally, another Boomalope catch the fire and sound the second explosion. All the caravan guy decide to retreat at last. The only left behind for me is the ash of my colony building and burn wound with infected colonist that waiting for their grave.

PineyCreek

Well Tynan came in and ruined my game...

So I was playing and then a raid happened and it was Tynan, Game Dev. He was alone and had a vibrosword (I run a mod heavy load). He had pretty high stats and power armor and a shield and a badass weapon, but I outnumbered him six to one.

He killed three of colonist and left two critically wounded who eventually died because I lost my only doctor. In the end only one guy and a dog was all that was left of a once thriving colony. They were killed in the next raid.

Curse you Tynan!

grrizo

Quote from: PineyCreek on November 23, 2017, 09:40:35 PM
Well Tynan came in and ruined my game...

So I was playing and then a raid happened and it was Tynan, Game Dev. He was alone and had a vibrosword (I run a mod heavy load). He had pretty high stats and power armor and a shield and a badass weapon, but I outnumbered him six to one.

He killed three of colonist and left two critically wounded who eventually died because I lost my only doctor. In the end only one guy and a dog was all that was left of a once thriving colony. They were killed in the next raid.

Curse you Tynan!
LMAO!
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

kubolek01

Mad DPS of Nod weapons show up. 15 tiles distance, 8 men versus 3 Thrumbos so stupid to come from enclosed border. Ton of laser, lead and gunpowder later only a big red splat to clean up. No losses.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

kubolek01

Continuing, I never lose any men, animals take the punishment and fall. I still remember dropping roof on a bonded Ori... It was a lesson worth taking.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

lancar

I discovered the other day that building your freezer out of wood is a really great & cheap alternative, especially in the early game.
It's also very easy to just leave it like that for a long time, as I had it well protected in the middle of the base. Nothing could get to it.
Well... except pod-dropping mechanoids with inferno cannons.

That playthrough ended with my yayo-jacked up medic running around shooting dissidents in the head for wanting to go murder my cows, the base a giant hellscape of fire around them.

Good times.

Hans Lemurson

"I can totally just pick off a Muffalo or Two from this 30-strong Muffalo migration.  What are the chances they'd go manhunter?"
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Arkay_The_Arcane

My most memorable was just a load of events that follow each other.

I had this huge mountain colony, with about 15 pawns, when one day an infestation started in my hydroponics room. The resulting fighting destroyed most hydroponics tables, but all lights were destroyed, as well as the heaters. The remaining plants died, because I didn't have any components to repair the heaters with. When I got low on food, I resorted to hunting, however, because it was mid winter, there were few animals. I managed to kill a few small critters, and one or two big animals, which was just enough to sustain my colony.

As you can guess, a big colony needs a pretty big fridge. It was big enough for another infestation. Guess where the next infestation took place. Most of my pawns were pretty wounded from a raid, so I figured I'd simply turn off the coolers and burn the buggers to death, since I had my hydroponics back up & running, and a load of rice ready to be harvested, not to mention a pretty big herd of muffalo right outside my defenses. I turned off my coolers, and had a pawn throw a molotov cocktail at one of the Megaspiders. They all died, and all my food burned. I figured it wasnt that big a deal, until a blight happened that wiped out all my plants (this was A15).

When I tried to go out hunting, a huge siege happened, so I wasn't capable of going outside without risking my pawns being mortarred to Kingdom Come. By the time they stopped sieging, the muffaloes had wandered off the map, leaving no good source of food. Two colonists starved, and I had to resort to cannibalism (I didn't have any pets). This resulted in one of my pawns going berserk, and he ended up killing another one, before being shot down himself. So I had 11 pawns left out of the original 15, in less than 4 in-game days. I managed to get a bit of food in from hunting, and the hydroponics got profitable again, so I thought everything was stabilized.

And then, a herd of manhunting boomalopes came along.

Since only a madman would dare go outside, I hoped my hydroponics would be able to sustain the rest of my colony. I shut down my defensive turrets, to avoid all of my defenses getting blown to smithereens, and locked my pawns inside the base. I had a kind of cheaty little valley where my pawns could go outside, and stop getting cabin fever (there was only rock ground there, so I couldn't use it for planting). Then, a thunderstorm happened. Out of all the things that could have happened, it was a flash storm. Guess what got hit? A boomalope. It died, and went kaboom. That explosion killed another boomalope, which also went kaboom, and so on, and so on. Most of the boomalopes died, but my defenses were destroyed.

When I had managed to pick off the remaining boomalopes, I started to rebuild my defenses. Then a raid happened. In the raid, three colonists died, but we took two prisoners. So, at this time, I had 8 colonists left out of the 15. One of them got a pretty bad infection in their torso, and my best doctor died during the raid, so I had my backup try to take care of it. Without success. It was clear to me that this was going to be a hard playthrough (I was running Casandra Classic extreme), and that I'd have to focus extra on defenses. I beefed them up, when a solar flare hit the place, which was pretty bad, since most of my defenses were turrets. Luckily for me, a trading caravan came along! Unfortunatly for me, a pack of manhunting boars came along, murdered the caravan, and

I got blamed. When the solar flare ended... Well, let's just say I didn't have to worry about starvation for a while. I was trying to recruit the prisoners, when they broke out of jail. They managed to kill one of my pawns, took his weapon, and killed two more (they had really good fighting skills). I arrested them again. Five pawns. I had FIVE PAWNS LEFT. In the course of less than one ingame year, I had lost 10 pawns.

The thing was finished me off was the thing that started it all... An infestation occured in my storage room. I knew that if I tried to take them on early, I'd have a chance, but if I burned the room down, I'd certainly lose in a matter of days. I got my troops ready, with the best weaponry there was, and charged in. I took out a hive, most insects, but the wounds on my pawns were too severe, and they started going down. My colony died that day, at the hands of bloody infestations.

Since then, I don't play Casandra on extreme anymore.

Bastobasto

I once lost all my colony due that my colonists were not speed enough to move the food ( which was soon to be lost ) to another bigger storage place. Then all my colony died of starving before I could even go look at what happened.