[A18] Stranded colonist calls tribal vilage for help "over the radio"

Started by YokoZar, November 14, 2017, 07:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YokoZar

This event doesn't particularly make sense to receive before researching the communications system.  I'm at neolithic tech but I'm getting requests to adventure over the radio.

khun_poo

Tynan

Hmm, this isn't quite a bug, but you're right it's weird. I can fictionalize it easily enough. But maybe we should rewrite it to make the source something different. Hmm.

Carrier pigeon perhaps? :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jimyoda

Perhaps the message says you hear some gunfire and see the refugee chased a distance away. No need for a radio, they're not on your map but close enough that you can shout for them to head your way. Otherwise you ignore them and let them pass on by.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

YokoZar

Quote from: Jimyoda on November 18, 2017, 09:52:53 AM
Perhaps the message says you hear some gunfire and see the refugee chased a distance away. No need for a radio, they're not on your map but close enough that you can shout for them to head your way. Otherwise you ignore them and let them pass on by.
This isn't just the refugee chased event, it's also the map objective one.

YokoZar

Quote from: Tynan on November 18, 2017, 01:17:26 AM
Hmm, this isn't quite a bug, but you're right it's weird. I can fictionalize it easily enough. But maybe we should rewrite it to make the source something different. Hmm.

Carrier pigeon perhaps? :D
You could potentially vary event text based on whether or not a certain tech was unlocked.

Other potential options: smoke signals, signal fires, message in a bottle, "found radio", etc.

YokoZar

ison

Okay, fictionalizing "downed refugee" incident letter was easy.

However the same problem applies to QuestPrisonerWillingToJoin, and I'm out of ideas. We can't just make them cry for help because it doesn't make sense if they're being held prisoner. Since the letter includes the name of the prisoner we can't use smoke signals because it's not a very sophisticated form of communication.

BlackSmokeDMax

Perhaps you find a "letter in your territory from an anonymous source"?

Calahan

Could you have a Pawn randomly show up at your colony (before leaving afterwards) and deliver a message to the player something along the lines of:

"I just escaped from [prison camp X], which is a short distance [N/E/S/W] of here. While I was imprisoned I got friendly with the only other prisoner there, a guy/gal called [QuestPrisonerName], and we promised each other that if one of us managed to escape without the other, then we'd find someone who could help the other escape as well. There's little I can do myself, and my people and family can't help either as they are a very long distance from here. [QuestPrisonerName] told me he/she would be willing to join any group that rescued him/her. He/she is also an excellent [InsertHigherStatProfession] so I'm sure they'll be able to pull their weight and make it worth your while rescuing them".

I think if any form of communication over distance is ruled out then the message either needs to be delivered by word of mouth*, or as BSDM says above, the message needs to be found in and around your colony (but then you might need to explain how the player would know how old the message was and/or prisoner still alive. You could date the note, but then it'd be hard to explain how after 5 years at a colony you suddenly find a note dated a month ago).

* As I was typing I just thought of another, probably far better option. How about instead of the escaped prisoner scenario I described above, that the message is simply delivered by a visiting caravan. As they visit player's colonies already, so you could just tag on an extra event to fire whereby one of the caravan party members whispers to the player that at their last stop a prisoner slipped them a note asking for help, and a big reward for anyone who rescue them. And after the rescue the prisoner can just say the big reward was a desperate lie but they'd be willing to join as a way to make up for it.

asanbr

You could also have a message saying

*Wall of text*

Accept / Deny

Or maybe someone in the prison camp sent the letter, since they felt sorry for the imprisoned person but couldn't out themselves. Or someone drove / rode past and heard of it.

giannikampa

Why not launch a copy of already existing "single traveler passing" event, but as soon as he is generated in the map the message letter is generated as well telling he delivered/told it to you?

Ok, someone could argue that he never approached one of your pawns to speak to at an hearable distance.. but how much coding would this minimum feature would cost?

And as always.. sorry for my bad english

NeverPire

Quote from: giannikampa on November 23, 2017, 10:31:26 AM
Why not launch a copy of already existing "single traveler passing" event, but as soon as he is generated in the map the message letter is generated as well telling he delivered/told it to you?
Why not create some kind of postman supposed to deliver messages to colony without communication console ? Based on the fact other factions see you don't answer their messages, it would be a logical behaviour from them. In the same time, it will fix the strangeness than computer controlled tribal factions always use comm consoles.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.