Support for tundra tribal starts

Started by Kamigami, November 21, 2017, 09:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamigami

If you do a tribal start on a tundra, you quickly run into two major issues:

- you can't make clothes or bedrolls without cloth, and cotton grows very poorly
- you can't make cold weather clothes until you research advanced clothing

Which makes tundra tribes artificially more more difficult than, say, jungle tribes.

I suggest these two issues could be solved fairly simply by:

- add a crafting recipe to turn leather into cloth at the build spot
- add crafting recipes to turn leather into warm fur outfits at the build spot

This allows tundra tribes to hunt, and use the leather for beds and clothing.

grrizo

Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Toast

I think some biomes are intended to be more "artificially more difficult" than others, and tundra is one of them. The tribal start is also intended to be more difficult than the spacer start and the game even labels it as such. Combining two forms of added difficulty *should* lead to a very difficult start. I'm not sure it needs fixing.

Slimy_Slider

At least make it so that normal beds should require cloth as well. If the tribals need to make a research investment for beds, it should be because they are superior in comfort as opposed to more efficient in terms of materials. The current bed/bedroll situation just feels like a whack in the head from the nerf bat for tribal starts for no other purpose than to make it a slower start.

grrizo

Quote from: Toast on November 21, 2017, 12:43:03 PM
I think some biomes are intended to be more "artificially more difficult" than others, and tundra is one of them. The tribal start is also intended to be more difficult than the spacer start and the game even labels it as such. Combining two forms of added difficulty *should* lead to a very difficult start. I'm not sure it needs fixing.
I thought it not like an "easier" way to play the game, but a realistic way. Because all the tribalwear currently present in B18 looks like something that tribes around humid/warm places would use.
But that's something rather incomplete. Examples ahead:

Temperate/warm/humid clothes

Whilst cold clothes

Note that I used just amerindian clothing examples. But there's a lot more.

Vlad0mi3r

Yes but most tribal groups living in these sort of environments are nomadic. Or had history where survival clothing was adapted as the climate got harsher.

Maybe start in a less hostie environment and then head to the colder climate area.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Disnof

Tribal should have ability to make parka imo.

Ser Kitteh

The biggest issue with tribal clothes is it just lacks a lot of the pros that normal clothing has. Pants cover legs, button down shirts cover torso and arms, dusters cover arms and legs too.

Considering that there are plenty of tribal societies in jungles, deserts and tundras, then there's really no reason why there shouldn't be more tribalwear. I would also extend that to armor. Give us the ability to make wooden armor or primitive mail. The Actez and Maya basically had padded vests, which look rather similar to gambessons!

At the end of the day, a tribal start doesn't look different from a colonist start. And that's fine for a lot of people, but some of us prefer more tribal aesthetics so to say.

grrizo

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on November 24, 2017, 11:05:44 PM
The biggest issue with tribal clothes is it just lacks a lot of the pros that normal clothing has. Pants cover legs, button down shirts cover torso and arms, dusters cover arms and legs too.

Considering that there are plenty of tribal societies in jungles, deserts and tundras, then there's really no reason why there shouldn't be more tribalwear. I would also extend that to armor. Give us the ability to make wooden armor or primitive mail. The Actez and Maya basically had padded vests, which look rather similar to gambessons!

At the end of the day, a tribal start doesn't look different from a colonist start. And that's fine for a lot of people, but some of us prefer more tribal aesthetics so to say.
Totally agree

Boston

Part of my issues with 'tribal technologies' is that, well, a great deal of the stuff tribal have to research early on, like carpets, 'complex clothing', and the like..... have been known about for about 10,000 years in the real world, since the Neolithic at least, and almost-overwhelmingly-likely earlier.

Aboriginal European Neolithic people knew what pants and shirts were, folks. They didn't wander around in Flintstones-esque 'tribalwear', furs hanging off the shoulder. They had https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp-weighted_loom, and manufactured trousers, jackets, shirts, cloaks, from wool and linen and cotton. They also knew what carpets and floor-coverings were, and weaved rugs and the like from wool, reeds, grasses, so on and so forth. They also knew what friggen beds were.

Yoshida Keiji

As soon as I start Lost Tribe in Tundra... I have no problems.

tyriaelsoban

it is true, people have been fashioning far more than loincloths and bad drapes for thousands of years - there are a few mods that have neolithic apparel sections that id love to see as base game features, for example; http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732569232

Winter "Hide" Cloaks is one of the basic apparel items that can be made at a crafting spot, base is -40 cold and -12 hot tolerance change, ideally you never want to make those items out of say, wool ... because you would end up with heat stroke in -40...
I'm also miffed about the lack of gloves and boots, better armor selections.