Base Design

Started by vagineer1, May 29, 2014, 10:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagineer1

This is the plan for my base:

I plan to dig into the mountain and use the first dug out room as a kill box.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Peacekeep3r777

You need to upload that picture somewhere first (try http://postimage.org/ for example), after that just use generated link for that picture and post it here. You cant post picture from your computer by just ctrl c and ctrl v from your pc folder :).

vagineer1

Quote from: Peacekeep3r777 on May 29, 2014, 11:36:37 AM
You need to upload that picture somewhere first (try http://postimage.org/ for example), after that just use generated link for that picture and post it here. You cant post picture from your computer by just ctrl c and ctrl v from your pc folder :).

Thanks.
You see this tank?

dd0029

One thing I might suggest is a secondary access tunnel paralleling your kill box for quick colonist exit when not under attack. You want to have your kill box be difficult terrain to slow attackers and deny them cover while your guys have cover. If the kill box is your only means of egress from the colony, it can be slow going get out. I solve that by a parallel hallway of doors. Attackers have to bash through them while your colonists can move through them freely. Additionally, you want to have a clear exit through the kill box to encourage raiders to enter the box. The AI will pick the "clearest" path to the base.

Neone

Imho this killbox is small. I have 2-4 times larger.

vagineer1

Quote from: Neone on May 29, 2014, 03:52:26 PM
Imho this killbox is small. I have 2-4 times larger.

You may have that but I do not want a ridiculously large and complicated one. One that is enough to kill raiders is good enough for me.
You see this tank?

Geeves

I would also suggest wider corridors and larger bedrooms to get a nice bonus to happiness by removing the "cramped" thoughts.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

vagineer1

Quote from: Geeves on May 30, 2014, 06:34:24 AM
I would also suggest wider corridors and larger bedrooms to get a nice bonus to happiness by removing the "cramped" thoughts.

I would add larger hallways but I see no reason for why the colonists think their rooms are small, I personally think a 4 by 3 wide room is enough.
You see this tank?

Geeves

I have used 3 by 4 rooms before, bed in the middle and boom room is cramped. I went to 5 by 5 rooms and everything was alright.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Geeves on May 30, 2014, 06:58:01 AM
I have used 3 by 4 rooms before, bed in the middle and boom room is cramped. I went to 5 by 5 rooms and everything was alright.
To add to this, rooms that are >27 cells large will recieve the spacious bonus.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

CounterFact

I use the industrial mod, which I think is a great improvement to the vanilla game. I'll show you my lay out. I started in the 1st small room below the cafetaria, expanded living arangements to the left, food production to the top, and industry to the right. I made my killing box on the outside, and tried to make a 2nd killing box in front of that.

The reason I haven't build more is because of the raiders killing my turrets over and over, which are quite expensive. At a certain point the raiders massed on the chokepoint (I'm guessing around 20 of them on 1 tile with even more of them all over the place) and threw volleys of stones, 2 volleys would take out any turret or colonist. Then all but 3 died, 2 of those starved, and the 1 remaining guy was just fucked.

Anyone tips? I had +-10 colonist, +-7 with LMG and 3 with miniguns. 4 HMG turrets, 3 sniper turrets.

dd0029

First and foremost, your killbox isn't deep enough. You need to have it so that they have to walk to you under fire before they can stop to start throwing stones or shooting.

Second, you would be best served by having an open door out of the back of the killbox. This is sort of an AI exploit though. The AI will often walk past you if they can freely get to their target without stopping. I have a kill box, then an atrium area then the base itself. There is no door between the kill box and the atrium. My doors are also off to the side, funneling the raiders to the right or left of the killbox.

Additionally, the whole kill box is built over with standbags. Raiders have to walk over the sandbags to get to me and have to stand on them - thus denying themselves cover - to shoot me while I still have cover from the bags.

Austupaio

Well, yes, you can do that if you feel the need to make your base so gamey that losing is impossible.

dd0029

He asked.

Quote from: CounterFact on May 30, 2014, 02:32:50 PMAnyone tips? I had +-10 colonist, +-7 with LMG and 3 with miniguns. 4 HMG turrets, 3 sniper turrets.

I answered. You can tell from his setup, that's the way he was playing that round.

There are harder ways to do things, most notably play outside with all separate buildings, all metal construction and outdoor farming. That really makes you have to plan out building/room/stockpile placement for the most efficient little man movement. You can then make it harder by making sure that you upset the neolithic factions.

CounterFact

Thanks for the response. I'll try to increase the distance between turrets and chokepoint.
Not sure if I wan't so much waffle patern in my base, I however did have a pile of corpses right out the chokepoint, which slows down too.
I like to add a little 'story' to my gameplay. My setup was a selfsufficient underground colony, that could hold out for ages when under siege. But I like to avoid too cheesy strategies. (killbox is acceptable, because what would an underground base be without an automated defence system? :) ) The service entrance wouldn't be needed as I have everything inside.
As for weapons, I just went for heavy machine guns because they are the coolest.