What colour is the sky in Rimworld?

Started by Quasarrgames, May 29, 2014, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

That's the question! My go-to answer would be blue, but that's only if it has an earth-like atmosphere. Perhaps it is slightly red like mars' atmosphere, or maybe it has a different composition or thickness then earth's atmosphere, so it is in a different place on the spectrum. What do you think?
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Coenmcj

Oh randy random... why would you do this to us?

My best bet is something on the blue side of the spectrum, although since we are next to a gas giant I would presume something on the heavier end of the spectrum due to gasses that escaped it's atmosphere or something like that.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Dr. Z

Maybe you can't define a colour because due to the high amount of gas in the atmosphere there are constantly polar lights.
Prasie the Squirrel!

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Celthric Aysen

maybe its a sky full of Nicolas Cage
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

ITypedThis

I would imagine the color would be something at least similar to blue, because the atmosphere would need to be Earth-like for the colonists to survive on the surface.

Tynan

The sunsets are red, which means it must be blue (it scatters blue light).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

golombo

I thing it's blue, because humans need oxygen. :D

Tynan

My understanding is that it's the nitrogen in the air, not the oxygen, which is blue. So you could theoretically replace the nitrogen with something else (like any noble gas) and retain breathable air.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Snownova

Breathable yes, but unable to support a terran biosphere. The nitrogen in the air is part of a cycle that involves the nitrates in the ground, which plants need to thrive. (sorry, been reading Red Mars)

Mattaru

Red. The sky has been dyed red by the blood of a million raiders evaporating in the atmopshere. They. Keep. Coming.

Abadayos

I would say it would be a brownish/red color like Mars. My reasoning is the ground. Why you may ask? Wind and such would suspend the fines/micron sized dust into the atmosphere and take some time to settle back down once in the jet stream (the higher up it goes the longer it takes to settle out, if it ever does).

The redish sunset could be reflected light from the gas giant (itself being redish like Jupiter in my mind at least). The reflected light, diffracted from the dust and stuff in the high atmosphere.

Just my thoughts, no matter what is 'cannon' it's how I see it now and will see it from here on in :P

Pulaskimask

Quote from: Tynan on May 31, 2014, 09:23:17 PM
My understanding is that it's the nitrogen in the air, not the oxygen, which is blue. So you could theoretically replace the nitrogen with something else (like any noble gas) and retain breathable air.

The downside is if you used helium it would all float away leaving you with just oxygen, and if you used any of the other noble gasses then they would sink to the bottom of the atmosphere and smoother everyone to death as the lighter oxygen floats at the top. Oxygen and nitrogen are a good mix because they are about equal in mass.