[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henk

Quote from: Canute on December 21, 2017, 03:37:07 AM
The ultimate outpost killer
Create vulkan !
a 5x5 lavafield surrounded with 5-10 wide mountains.
I was thinking more of mass-create-soil, but your idea is good too =P

Toketsu

Passive skills

Meditative Mind
Regains mana or stamina (whichever you have) slightly faster per level. max level: 3.

Magical Nutrition/Magical Body
Lowers the rate at which the pawn becomes hungry, tired and regenerates mana. max level: 3.

Powerful Presence
5% chance to cause enemies within melee range to flee for 5 seconds whenever they attack the owner of this skill.

Commanding Presence
Causes allies to gain +10% global work speed while the pawn is within 10 tiles of them. Allies will dislike the pawn who owns this skill by -15, and will
never start social fights with them, unless they also have Commanding Presence.

Water Walker (water-only)
Causes the owner of this skill to be able to walk on deep water.

Magic Nullification (learnable by any class)
Nullifies the effects of any hostile magical effects on the pawn. Has a cooldown of 48 in-game hours.

Active spells

Soulburn (unnatributed/scroll)
Pawn with at least 50% mana left can self-destruct in a large, very powerful blast. Pawn dies on the explosion, and the body vanishes, meaning they can't be resurrected.

Focus (sniper martial scroll)
Self-use, causes the pawn to gain +20% shooting accuracy for 60 seconds.

Stealth (sniper martial scroll)
Self-use, causes the pawn to become immune to aggro unless they're moving/doing something. Also drops active aggros on use, as long as there are no enemies within 7 tiles of the pawn.

Piercing Shot (sniper master scroll)
Shoots a projectile that pierces 2 targets, and stops on the third. Instant cast.

Raise Undead (unnatributed/scroll)
Use on a corpse to have them fight for you for a small duration of time. The corpse can not be rotting.

Disarm (sniper martial scroll)
Shoot the target's hand, causing target hit to drop equipped weapon and lose manipulation. Target will attempt to pick up the weapon shortly after.

Arcane Pet (summoner/scroll)
Summons a magical animal that wanders around the colony, nuzzling everyone it sees (once per colonist), increasing mood of everyone nuzzled.

Knowledge Thief (unnatributed/scroll)
Swap all your skill levels with the target. Lasts 30 seconds, and switches back when duration ends.

Trailblazer (fire/scroll)
For it's duration, causes the user to create fire wherever he steps. Fire lasts 15 seconds and doesn't spread. The user is immune to the fire created by this skill.

High Voltage (thunder/scroll)
Causes user to emit high amounts of electricity to nearby pawns (both allies and enemies) with metal armor for a short while.

Electromagnetic Storm (thunder/ master scroll)
Causes all electrical buildings, entities and energy shields to stop working. Lasts a while. Mechanoids are resilient to this magic, and have halved duration.

Light Orb (unnatributed/scroll)
Casts a flying orb of light that illuminates a small area. Lasts 7 days.

Events

Rogue Elementals (works similar to alphabeaver event, but eats any item on the ground)
1-8 Elementals went rogue and fled their master. Now they're at your colony, and will consume any items they find on the ground (be it consumable or not).
Kill them before they eat everything! They'll leave after 2 days if not killed. Does not break buildings unless maddened.

Stolen Scroll (similar to chased refugee)
A visitor comes by and asks if you want to take the scroll they have, for 1/4 of the market value. If you accept, you'll have to fight whoever he stole the scroll from.

Blood Moon
High concentrations of mana focus on the night sky once in a while, changing the color of the moon to a crimson red. Animals become more aggressive during such event (manhunter pack event activates), and pawns are far more likely to have social fights and mental breaks. Lasts until morning.

Elemental Rift (disabled by any difficulty modes that also disables bug hives)
Causes a portal to open somewhere on the map. This portal will periodically spawn hostile elementals, which will protect the portal and travel around the map creating more portals over time. Attacking a portal will spawn a few more elementals to protect it. Destroying the portal grants Magic Stones, used in many things, from crafting magical items to building magical structures.

Buildings (I'll leave the cost to you)

Lesser Magic Circle (8 intelligence + 4 construction)
Increases cast speed of any pawn standing on it by 33%. 1x1 size.

Magic Circle (12 intelligence + 7 construction)
Increases cast speed of any pawn standing on it by 50%. 2x2 size.

Greater Magic Circle (16 intelligence + 10 construction)
Increases cast speed of any pawn standing on it by 50% and reduces mana costs by 20%. 3x3 size.

Crafter (requires new adept type, possibly along the lines of deftness)
Crafters are known to be really weak in combat, but strong in workshops.
Example of skills:

Passive:
(needs a name)
Causes any armor and weapon used by this pawn to not lose durability, due to constant fixing and tinkering.

Knowledge
Requires -1 crafting level to craft things with level requirement. up to -3 with level ups.

Active:
Fix
Repairs damage on items by 10%. 30 seconds cast time.

Polish and Tinker
5% chance to upgrade an item by one tier. 1 minute cast time.

Mass Production
User gains +100% global work speed for 30 seconds, and gets tired faster.

Godly Hands (master)
Causes the next item created to be one tier higher than it would be otherwise. (if the item was already legendary, you gain half of the materials back)

Magical Farmer (non-combat magic class (who said magic classes have to be combat active?))
Magical Farmers are known to work really well with plants, although they lack any kind of social prowess. The Psycopath trait comes along with this class.
Examples of skills:

Passive:

Super Harvest
Plant harvest yield increased by 50%

Active:

Talk to the Plants
Increases your own mood by +10 for 12h and has a 50% chance of creating a Nature Elemental when used on a plant. The Nature Elemental will harvest crops that are ready to be harvested, and transform them in a magical stew that provides +5 mood when eaten, and increases manipulation by +20% for a while. The elemental vanishes after making 10 stew.

Mana Fertilizer
Medium-sized area spell that transforms soil into magical soil, which grants +100% plant growth rate. Lasts until plants are harvested, cut or otherwise dies.

Praise the Sun Lamp
Creates a magical version of a sun lamp, which lasts 4 days and doesn't cost energy.

Harvest Song (Master)
Sings to crops in a large area around you, causing crops to grow 20%. Crops can only grow with this skill once. If a crop reaches 100%/Ready to harvest status, they will harvest themselves. Comes along with the +50% Harvest yield that this class has. Animals that hear this song will no longer be manhunting, and will be put to sleep.

Items

Tome of Knowledge
Rare item that grants one skill point to a pawn. Obtainable via magic events, trading and as a very rare drop from hostile elementals (chances one will spawn with it could be around 1/1k).

Other

Allow us to level up spells learned via scrolls. To balance, it could require 1 skill point per level, and an amount of scrolls equal to current level.
Example: You just learned heal with a scroll, and you have one skill point, you can use one scroll and that point to level it up. After this, you'd require 2 scrolls and one point.

Add buildings that cost mana per use - which means only mages can use. These buildings could provide useful actions, defensive bonuses for the colony, and more.

Make it so rain spell causes snow when it's under freezing temperature (0C, 32F).

henk

Quote from: Toketsu on December 21, 2017, 04:09:23 PM
Water Walker (water-only)
Causes the owner of this skill to be able to walk on deep water.
That would be a nice passive for water mages.

Pawn with at least 50% mana left can self-destruct in a large, very powerful blast. Pawn dies on the explosion, and the body vanishes, meaning they can't be resurrected.
Self destruct is bad. Every pawn matters, even the pyromaniac depressive incapable of skilled and dumb labor ones!

Electromagnetic Storm (thunder/ master scroll)
Causes all electrical buildings, entities and energy shields to stop working. Lasts a while. Mechanoids are resilient to this magic, and have halved duration.
Sounds like a solar flare with added map-wide EMP.

Rogue Elementals (works similar to alphabeaver event, but eats any item on the ground)
1-8 Elementals went rogue and fled their master. Now they're at your colony, and will consume any items they find on the ground (be it consumable or not).
Kill them before they eat everything! They'll leave after 2 days if not killed. Does not break buildings unless maddened.
Given the speed at which items are eaten, a single one of these could ruin an entire colony.

Stolen Scroll (similar to chased refugee)
A visitor comes by and asks if you want to take the scroll they have, for 1/4 of the market value. If you accept, you'll have to fight whoever he stole the scroll from.
More non-overpriced scrolls is nice.

Elemental Rift (disabled by any difficulty modes that also disables bug hives)
Causes a portal to open somewhere on the map. This portal will periodically spawn hostile elementals, which will protect the portal and travel around the map creating more portals over time. Attacking a portal will spawn a few more elementals to protect it. Destroying the portal grants Magic Stones, used in many things, from crafting magical items to building magical structures.
I could see magic stones being the elementals' food, spawning from portals like insect jelly from hives. A crafting branch would make the mod feel truly complete.

Fix

Polish and Tinker
Increasing an item's tier is powerful, but 5% chance to up upgrade is just too low. You could add a chance to upgrade an item when repairing instead.

Super Harvest
Plant harvest yield increased by 50%
Yield is usually how dependent much is available, not how good the gatherer is. This would require improving the plant as it's planted, or just duplicating the yield as it is gathered.

Praise the Sun Lamp
Creates a magical version of a sun lamp, which lasts 4 days and doesn't cost energy.
I would like this with the added ability for mage pawns to refuel it like campfires, using mana. Re-casting it every 4 days sounds tiresome.

Add buildings that cost mana per use - which means only mages can use. These buildings could provide useful actions, defensive bonuses for the colony, and more.
A manned magic turret firing magic bullets? Now I could get behind that.

Please don't take the suggestion as criticism, I love your ideas ^^

WereCat88

How does mass teleport work, cant seem to get it to work.
I am The Primal Mammelon

Toketsu

Self destruct is bad. Every pawn matters, even the pyromaniac depressive incapable of skilled and dumb labor ones!
This is supposed to be something you'd use when you're out of options, and your colony could die if you don't kill the enemies.

Given the speed at which items are eaten, a single one of these could ruin an entire colony.
As it's said, they don't break buildings as long as they're not maddened. This means that any items stored in a storage located inside a building will be safe.

Fix

Polish and Tinker
Increasing an item's tier is powerful, but 5% chance to up upgrade is just too low. You could add a chance to upgrade an item when repairing instead.
Skills and spells can be upgraded, don't forget that. I wrote that number with this fact in mind, and so the % would likely increase with higher skill levels. It also could be made so you can only increase an item's tier once.

Praise the Sun Lamp
I would like this with the added ability for mage pawns to refuel it like campfires, using mana. Re-casting it every 4 days sounds tiresome.
Sounds good.

Please don't take the suggestion as criticism, I love your ideas ^^
Constructive criticism is a good thing, and isn't used as often as it should.

Toketsu

Quote from: WereCat88 on December 21, 2017, 05:34:54 PM
How does mass teleport work, cant seem to get it to work.
If you mean the Teleport spell, then you use it in an unroofed area, fuel it with Portfuel (spawned right next to the portal), and then you use it just like you'd use a Transport pod.

Torann

Lot of great idea's, Toketsu.

Of them all, I think I like the rogue elemental portal event and the growth lamp the most.
Though with the portal, I might just make it keep spawning elementals to attack your colony until the portal is destroyed (or portal energy runs out).  Maybe some other twists... ;)

I'm getting closer to adding items/buildings, but I'm not quite there yet.  I'm not sure what scope I want to shoot for and how I'd implement.  (eg, new research tab?  New building required to research? only mages can research/build/craft magical items?)  What types of new material?  I've avoided adding a large resource tree, new items and buildings means new graphics and which takes me a long time and aren't even close to the quality found in most other mods.  So ya, lower quality and lots of time are big drawbacks.
However, it would introduce the groundwork for some interesting classes like the enchanter, alchemist, spell-forge type classes.

With those things in mind, let me know what you'd like to see for items/buildings.  Are a few select items that can be found through quests or traded for like "ring of fire" that can be equipped in the apparel slot and lets the wearer cast fireball, or the sword of lightning that has a chance to add extra electrocution damage to each strike good enough?  Or is a full research tree with magical components/material for crafting apparel/weapons with magical attributes more  appealing?

henk

I like the idea of a new research tree, and it doesn't have to be complex. Adding a few generic researches at first would be fine - for example, for crafting mana potions. Just lay the groundwork for a possible future magical tech tree and add nodes to it as needed.

I also really like the idea of a magic tech tree largely independent of the main tech tree, so one could advance in power through researching magic and not need to bother with electricity and firearms for a while.

Toketsu

Much like henk said, a separate research tab would be nice. Maybe having the very basic researches be able to get researched by anyone, but keep the more complex ones to mages only. I'd help with the graphics, but i can't draw at all.

As for the items, i personally think there should be two different categories.
The first category would be Magical Items, which would your usual magic items like the ring of fire you mentioned. Stuff that can be researched and crafted with apparent ease.

The second category would be Artefacts/Legendary Items, which would be rare/very rare items like spell tomes, or Arcane Weapons (not to be confused with imbued weapons. Imbued weapons would be magical items, and could be crafted through a special crafting method (possibly class-locked), and then imbue the magic stone on it with a mage's mana, for example, imbued a rifle with a fire mage's mana could have a low chance of settings targets on fire. arcane weapons would be similar, but more powerful items, with better effects (explosion bullets 100% of the time instead of a low chance of burning, for example)). Artefacts and Legendary Items could be quest rewards, sometimes found while trading, or even event rewards (say, you're moving a caravan around and then you get an event where you find some magical ruins, and there could be an artefact inside, but you'd have to fight off some kind of security mechanism, like monsters. Could also have traps that can only be avoided with magic, and lock mechanisms that open with a certain type of mana, like fire or thunder.)

Sorry for the walls of text, but i'm just excited whenever the topic is magic.
I'll give some thought about what items and buildings could be a good idea and mention on a post within two days (i'll also re-add previous items/buildings i've said, though i'll likely reword them with fresh ideas).

Lastly, if you add the research like i said, then the magical research bench could consume mana over time on use, and cannot be used without it. That way magical researches can be hard to attain, but could be very worthwhile.

One more thing i'd love to see, and just thought up on the spot when i was going to click post:

New traits that have a low and very low chance (respectively) of being attained upon learning a magic school:

Dual Elementalist
Mages that attain this trait when learning a magic school can learn a second magic school. Rare trait.

Triple Elementalist
Similar to the above, but can learn a third magic school. Exceptionally rare trait on it's own, but you can (more torwards end game) research a way to unlock the potential for a third magic school into those that already have two elements.

Edit: An add-on for my previous ideas post: Soulburn should be usable by pawns that are downed, but not unconcious.

Edit 2:
Quote from: Torann on December 15, 2017, 06:18:09 PM
I really want to include some immersion for the mod that brings good (and bad) events that emphasizes the rimworld as a place that has nurtured magic.
I've been thinking on this, and i personally think that, if you want rimworld to be a place that is one with magic, you'll have to do a bit of everything. From new spells, to magic research and crafting, to magical disasters and even magical wildlife. There's of course much more than that, but we should take one step at a time with this. Really looking forward to what you'll do with this mod, it's already really good as is.

ZE

i'd like Magicite, as a compacted form in small (1 - 3) veins with 100% drop chance, and as a 5% - 10% chance in other stones, can be charged by a gifted to an element, and then used in a weapon or armor. Int determines quality of the stone, the higher the quality, the bigger the gifts.

The stone itself would list its gifts, lowest having 1 bonus, highest having 3, also higher the level higher the chance of snagging a higher  tiered bonus
EXAMPLE
Pyrocyte (Fire Magicite)
Min Temp  -1 / -2 / -4 / -8
Burn enemies on contact +1 / +2 / +3 / +4
Burn damage reflection 25% / 50% / 75% / 100%
Burn damage heals  25% / 50% / 75% / 100%
Chance to Fireball on hit 1% / 2% / 4%/ 8%
Constant Ray of Hope 1 / 2 / 3
Cauterize wound (no bleeding)

also, i want a a destructive shot.  sniper that can effectively take an eyeball out without killing or create non lethal brain trauma.  better than killing your enemy is making them useless

Toketsu

Quote from: ZE on December 22, 2017, 12:50:40 AM
i'd like Magicite, as a compacted form in small (1 - 3) veins with 100% drop chance, and as a 5% - 10% chance in other stones, can be charged by a gifted to an element, and then used in a weapon or armor. Int determines quality of the stone, the higher the quality, the bigger the gifts.

The stone itself would list its gifts, lowest having 1 bonus, highest having 3, also higher the level higher the chance of snagging a higher  tiered bonus
EXAMPLE
Pyrocyte (Fire Magicite)

also, i want a a destructive shot.  sniper that can effectively take an eyeball out without killing or create non lethal brain trauma.  better than killing your enemy is making them useless

Damn, those numbers are even more broken than my own's. Hat's off to you.

But for real, the ideas seem nice, but some seem too overpowered and/or would make other things too redundant. For example, the Constant Ray of Hope would kill the use for the spell.

WereCat88

Whenever i try and summon a portal this error gets spewn on the log a bagillion times:
Exception ticking Projectile_Teleport(parent=Verse.ThingWithComps at=(-1000, -1000, -1000)): System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: type
  at System.Activator.CheckType (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, Boolean nonPublic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.ThingMaker.MakeThing (Verse.ThingDef def, Verse.ThingDef stuff) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at TorannMagic.Projectile_Teleport.SingleSpawnLoop (AbilityUser.SpawnThings spawnables, IntVec3 position, Verse.Map map) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at TorannMagic.Projectile_Teleport.Impact (Verse.Thing hitThing) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AbilityUser.Projectile_AbilityBase.ImpactSomething () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AbilityUser.Projectile_AbilityBase.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at TorannMagic.Projectile_Teleport.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()
I am The Primal Mammelon

ZE

Quote from: Toketsu on December 22, 2017, 12:59:40 AM
Quote from: ZE on December 22, 2017, 12:50:40 AM

EXAMPLE
Pyrocyte (Fire Magicite)

Damn, those numbers are even more broken than my own's. Hat's off to you.

But for real, the ideas seem nice, but some seem too overpowered and/or would make other things too redundant. For example, the Constant Ray of Hope would kill the use for the spell.

well those higher levels are rarer results, think of Infused, how its quite common to get crap even at Legendary, but occasionally you get Omnipotence.

so you get 100% burn damage reflection, someone throws a fireball, suddenly they are the ones getting burned

but maybe it could be toned down, if you could socket boots, gloves, pants, shirt, coat, hat, glasses.... i suppose they could be more like 2.5% 5% 7.5% and 10%

Torann

Quote from: WereCat88 on December 22, 2017, 07:18:30 AM
Whenever i try and summon a portal this error gets spewn on the log a bagillion times:
What version are you using and where are you trying to cast the portal?

If you've got the latest version, it shouldn't let you try to cast in an invalid location.  This log message is seen if you try to cast the portal in an area of the map that doesn't allow buildings (eg along the edges).  If you are placing buildings normally, you'll notice there's a yellow zone along the edge of the map and it won't let you build here.  Earlier versions would allow you to cast in this zone and would throw the error you're seeing, newer versions should just poof the portal and generate a message telling you the location was bad.  Either way, you can't use the portal in this area.

Torann

I like the idea of magicite.
1. It only requires a single (or several variations) of an item, so the overall item addition is small.
2. It's not a stat item, meaning it requires no balance in itself.
3. Infused mod already exists, so if the mod maker is willing to let me use that code, then it should be an easy conversion to assign "infused" bonuses with magicite
4. Most of the effects are pretty do-able, though I'm not sure if you'd really want a chance to fireball on hit unless you also had an absorb fire or resist fire stat  ;)