Alpha 4 observations

Started by Cassey, June 01, 2014, 08:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd0029

Cassandra seems a whole lot less aggressive now.

I like the wood lots, though they take a comparative eternity.

Tynan

Quote from: dd0029 on June 02, 2014, 07:36:40 PM
Cassandra seems a whole lot less aggressive now.

I like the wood lots, though they take a comparative eternity.

Thanks for this comment. I made me re-review the storyteller balance code and I actually found an issue that would flatten out enemy growth rates. Solved now and hotifxed. Prepare to die.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mrofa

Quote from: Haplo on June 02, 2014, 08:48:23 AM
Another possible solution would be to add to the Blueprints and Frames the information about what is needed to the info box.
The Frames has already the info what is already inside, but what's needed is missing, so you have to look into the build menu to find out what is needed..

A rather wierd workaroud to this would be to provide blueprint textures with painted resources on it. Will check it out when i end sawing my colonist in half :D
All i do is clutter all around.

xu

I quit the game several times because I couldn't figure out why the colonists weren't building beds or doors. I knew I was lacking a certain resource but I couldn't tell what the icon represented. It would be really nice to see something like "Requires 20[icon] wood planks" rather than "Requires 20[icon]".

On that note, I honestly can't tell what most of the icons mean. The metal one looks like corn or something, and as I said I just couldn't tell what the wood planks one was supposed to be.

johntiger

Quote from: xu on June 03, 2014, 01:02:53 AM
I quit the game several times because I couldn't figure out why the colonists weren't building beds or doors. I knew I was lacking a certain resource but I couldn't tell what the icon represented. It would be really nice to see something like "Requires 20[icon] wood planks" rather than "Requires 20[icon]".

On that note, I honestly can't tell what most of the icons mean. The metal one looks like corn or something, and as I said I just couldn't tell what the wood planks one was supposed to be.

I just would like to add that I have zero problem in recognizing icons. They are rather intuitive so there is no problem adapting to Alpha 4. However, I do think texts are necessary addition to maximize clarity as I prefer both texts and icons over either icon or text. And isn't it about time to add some guns info to the menu system so I don't have to wait for combat suppliers to come by and find out the gun status?

Froboz

Quote from: xu on June 03, 2014, 01:02:53 AM
I knew I was lacking a certain resource but I couldn't tell what the icon represented. It would be really nice to see something like "Requires 20[icon] wood planks" rather than "Requires 20[icon]".

I agree. I just recently got around to playing the game and while I don't have any problem with the icon images, what some of them represented was not immediately clear to me in-game. I was able to figure it out, but text identification would have made the initial UI experience easier.

Pulaskimask

Quote from: Tynan on June 01, 2014, 09:04:42 PM
Saw some logs into planks.

We've had usability issues with this; I'd hoped that the red text on the mouse when you build things for which you have no materials would have helped.... :( Sorry.

I would just like to echo other users and add that the wood logs, wood planks, and stone block icons look to similar to me to discern which is which without further context clues.

dd0029

What's the deal with the survival meals being prioritized over simple meals?

Also, things don't seem to get repaired if they aren't in a home region. I don't remember that.

Tynan

Quote from: dd0029 on June 04, 2014, 02:58:09 PM
What's the deal with the survival meals being prioritized over simple meals?

Also, things don't seem to get repaired if they aren't in a home region. I don't remember that.

Survival meals are of Fine quality, so they give a little mood boost. Your colonists prefer them.

The home zone repair thing is new because some players wanted to abandon parts of their base, and there was no way to stop dumb colonists going to repair them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

dd0029