Mountain plateaus

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, December 22, 2017, 01:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkay_The_Arcane

I've been trying some arctic survival, and came up with the following idea: Mountain top biomes!
Basically, in large mountains, some impassable mountains will have a large flat area that you can land on and survive on, with it's ups and downs.

Ups:

• Allows for passable terrain through mountain ranges, albeit incredibly slow.
  • The terrain would still be very mountainous, but because it's near the peak, it would be more like hills, without a lot of mountain roofs. This means more resources!

Downs:

• There would be barely any soil. Most of the outside would be rocks, so there are not going to be a lot of plants
  • Because of the height these places would have, it would be incredibly cold, almost arctic temperatures.
  • Very few animals, if any at all. (Have you ever seen a squirrel climb Mount Everest?)

patoka

sounds more like a mod to me because of its boring nature:
- no raids due to all sides being covered by mountains
- no wild animals due to the same reason
- no grass growth after the first winter due to the same reason
- no caravans due to the same reason
- no vendors due to the same reason
- little to no wood because most of the map is mountaineous, the rest is mostly rock floored anyway and the little rest would be gravel i assume

-> while you can grow things and have natural resources in comparison to sea ice runs, you pretty much lack everything else until you finally dig through till the edge of the map

i guess you could fix most issues i talked about by having the plateau touch one side of the map, but that would kinda defeat the purpose, wouldnt it? you could just as well have a normal ass mountaineous map in a cold place :/
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

SpaceDorf

When I read the topic I thought more of a huge mountain in the center of the map surrounded by a small circle of free space.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

patoka

but that's just a very specific formation of rocks
who would want a tile that always has the same formation of rocks xD
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

SpaceDorf

Not if you take rivers and  caves into account.
Then the single Mountain can become a unique map.

patoka

but so would any other map with a river and caves inside its mountaineous parts...
i must seriously be overlooking something here because i just dont get it

SpaceDorf

It would be accessible from all sides of the map while being modtly covered in rock. Mountainous maps are usually some valleys and rock formations against a rock wall that blocks one side

Limdood

nowhere in the original post did the OP say, or even imply that the game map would be surrounded in rocks so there was no exit or entrance from the map tile.

additionally, even if the WORLD map hex was surrounded by impassable tile, you are still able to receive raids and caravans, and with a bit of research and creativity, leave and enter your map (drop pods) on your own.
1 hex islands exist in the game and still get raided and get caravans...

patoka

oh ok i think i get it now

i imagined the exact opposite of what you thought of. so it is not a map that is all covered with mountains and only in the middle is a hole (the plateau i thought of) but what you meant was the whole map being normal aside from a large mountain being in the middle, right?

ok, i can see that being an interesting map, but to be honest not any more interesting than any other map with some mountains on it 😅

i thought the idea was that you started ON the plateau and couldnt get off, instead it is that you start next to it and cant get on top (which i dont quite understand how that would be a biome next to tundra, shrublands, deserts, extreme deserts, ice sheet, sea ice, boreal forest and the normal forest.
i guess kind of an addition to these basic biomes, just like rivers and streets are? so that you can see prior to settling there that it has or has no plateau, in comparison to ancient dangers and ancient buildings and minable resources

SpaceDorf

I got your Idea as well and I really did not want to derail your thread that much.

patoka

Quote from: Robotic_Killer on December 22, 2017, 01:20:00 PM
Mountain top biomes! Basically, in large mountains, some impassable mountains will have a large flat area that you can land on and survive on, with it's ups and downs.
yeah, sorry. this confused me.
i understand that your aim is to make impassable terrain passable again? with this as a passé? ;)
personally, i like the idea more now, because impassable terrain always pisses me off in some way. on the other hand, isnt it the exact reason impassable mountains exist? making them passable kinda removes the sense behind it. i could see how this is the exact reason why it wont get implemented. to be fair all my other ideas trying to imagine a plateau as a biome or as part of it led to much worse ideas.
i'd rename it to passé though. a plateau is more sth along the lines of what i said in the beginning, i believe.

maybe this has nothing to do with it, but if you were looking for a way to get over/around impassable mountains that would otherwise take you forever, i saw a thread in the suggestions recently that was about implementing hot air balloons/blimps/zeppelins and if my memory doesnt screw me over it seemed as if that might actually be implemented into the next beta

Arkay_The_Arcane

Quote from: patoka on December 25, 2017, 06:27:25 PM
Quote from: Robotic_Killer on December 22, 2017, 01:20:00 PM
Mountain top biomes! Basically, in large mountains, some impassable mountains will have a large flat area that you can land on and survive on, with it's ups and downs.
yeah, sorry. this confused me.
i understand that your aim is to make impassable terrain passable again? with this as a passé? ;)
personally, i like the idea more now, because impassable terrain always pisses me off in some way. on the other hand, isnt it the exact reason impassable mountains exist? making them passable kinda removes the sense behind it. i could see how this is the exact reason why it wont get implemented. to be fair all my other ideas trying to imagine a plateau as a biome or as part of it led to much worse ideas.
i'd rename it to passé though. a plateau is more sth along the lines of what i said in the beginning, i believe.

maybe this has nothing to do with it, but if you were looking for a way to get over/around impassable mountains that would otherwise take you forever, i saw a thread in the suggestions recently that was about implementing hot air balloons/blimps/zeppelins and if my memory doesnt screw me over it seemed as if that might actually be implemented into the next beta

What I ment was that some unpassable mountain tiles would become passable, not all of them. It'd still be somewhat frustrating, as it could delay a trip by long while if you want to go over the mountain tops.