Got an idea for a Storyteller incident?

Started by Tynan, September 17, 2013, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Untrustedlife

I just would like to say

Idea I
QuoteThe Thing. A colonist becomes a ravaging beast.
This is a brilliant idea.. add it please.
I belive i know where you are going with this however i feel i can improve it massively.
First off, the colonist is a thing when it arrives (it is just in colonist form) and everybody thinks they are normal (obviously this is unannounced to the player).
Like in the movie where the inspiration for this idea obviously came from. The thing should be able to extract DNA from people and transform into that person after hiding their body.
You should be able to detect it by ordering the colonist to take a "blood test" once you have the things you need for it ( a syringe, rope,chairs,a hot item (a hot metal item etc.) maybe he has to be jailed as-well?
It should try to hide itself until it decides to transform into it's beast form. Of course the player should have noticed it by now (where are all my colonists disappearing to)

And people will start suspecting each other of being it, mass hysteria could happen if left unchecked for too long etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Idea II
A strange disease that...turns people into clowns.
Yep good old fashioned..INSANE..clowns, who are very mischievous. They can give colonists good thoughts. But they cause havoc in your base while doing so.
The disease takes quite awhile to progress, colonists will start thinking strange thoughts..like how to juggle.

then they will start telling other colonists jokes (whether good or horrible)
then they will start dressing weird and somehow paint their face a different color and get a red nose (maybe they will build one with available materials) and clown shoes if possible.

Then they start running around causing havoc and making people happy. (or unhappy depending on said havoc)
It can be cured, however it is best to lock them up.

----------------------------------------------------------
Idea III
Abduction, some alien species will come down and abduct a colonist for research.
The colonist will be brought back eventually, but they will have changed somehow (personality, lots of good or horrible thoughts etc.)
May have gone insane.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Idea IV

This has been suggested several times, but assassins should exist. And I can improve the idea.

Maybe a colonist arrives and is secretly an assassin who is trying to kill a specific member.
This colonist will try to scout out there target, and will try to blend in with the other colonists. Until they have an opportunity to strike in multiple ways(good old fashioned gun, or poisoning the target, collapsing a cave the target is in etc.) this may take a very long time. The assassin is very determined.
After they succeed they WILL try to escape.

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

TechnicPyro

How about a very rare, random chance that one of your colonists is a wanted criminal!

The way this could be played out is that the IGPD (Inter-Galactic Police Department) opens communications with your colony stating how one of your colonists is a wanted felon and offers you a price to detain that colonist for them.  This could occur in two ways:

1-The wanted colonist(s) can run away trying to flee capture
2-The colonist ends up fighting against your other colonists
3-The colonist has a mental break and tries to destroy everything that they can

If the colonist escapes, you have nothing to truly worry about.  If you capture the colonist, you can hand them in for a nice reward.

If you refuse to hand over the wanted colonist(s), the IGPD attacks you similarly to that of a raider's attack in order to detain the colonist.

If you manage to somehow capture one of the IGPD officers you would be able to ask for a ransom of your choosing.  If the price you ask for is too high, or on the chance that a rescue mission is put into motion, the IGPD will secretly (not appearing in the notifications) land on the map and attack immediately giving you no time to prepare.

parkourwalrus

Timerift.

People from this planet in a different age arrive through the rift.

Groups that can arrive are:
cavemen with clubs and stuff.
dieselpunk people with awesome dieselpunk railguns and rifles and stuff.
sword-armed knights
near future people with r-4's and near future guns like that.
far future people, refugees from when the galaxy was still shattered before the transcendance of man, with massively destructive, cyberpunkish wmds and stuff.
transcendent people from the early stages of the transcendance where technology was still wielded and not melded to the body, armed with mind probes and gear that bends reality to their whim.
people from the far transcendance, with technology a natural part of their bodies, unkillable, simply travelling, possibly attacking your colony if they feel like it.

Psycophantic

The only thing I can really think of is if your area becomes a battle field for two random factions who show up, kill each other and leave or leave an occupation force behind.

Darker

Random game over:

"Nuclear launch detected..."
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

NiftyDaDarkKnight

How about new colonists appear on your map (similar to a random trader) but instead could be refugees or wanted by pirates, so for instance if you captured them / converted them, pirates could come and offer resources if you give them up, or as an alternative, a faction pays you to keep them away from raiders.

Maybe they could hold postilions in a hierarchy, like king or chief from a faction or tribe?

Untrustedlife

Quote from: parkourwalrus on January 07, 2014, 06:46:09 PM
Timerift.

sword-armed knights
far future people, refugees from when the galaxy was still shattered before the transcendance of man, with massively destructive, cyberpunkish wmds and stuff.
transcendent people from the early stages of the transcendance where technology was still wielded and not melded to the body, armed with mind probes and gear that bends reality to their whim.
people from the far transcendance, with technology a natural part of their bodies, unkillable, simply travelling, possibly attacking your colony if they feel like it.

No need for a time rift, this is part of the rim world universe, on all these different planets they encompass all possible tech levels (from cavemen to energy beings)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

parkourwalrus

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 12, 2014, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: parkourwalrus on January 07, 2014, 06:46:09 PM
Timerift.

sword-armed knights

No need for a time rift, this is part of the rim world universe, on all these different planets they encompass all possible tech levels (from cavemen to energy beings)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

I know, but the idea would be that hey come from this planet, and thus re more angry and likely to lash out that just travelers.

TechnicPyro

Quote from: NiftyDaDarkKnight on January 12, 2014, 07:27:28 AM
How about new colonists appear on your map (similar to a random trader) but instead could be refugees or wanted by pirates, so for instance if you captured them / converted them, pirates could come and offer resources if you give them up, or as an alternative, a faction pays you to keep them away from raiders.

Maybe they could hold postilions in a hierarchy, like king or chief from a faction or tribe?

Um...  Excuse me?  I'm sorry to bother you but this seems extremely similar to my storyteller suggestion of wanted criminals being chased by the Inter-Galactic Police Department...

Untrustedlife

Quote from: TechnicPyro on January 12, 2014, 05:20:30 PM
Quote from: NiftyDaDarkKnight on January 12, 2014, 07:27:28 AM

Um...  Excuse me?  I'm sorry to bother you but this seems extremely similar to my storyteller suggestion of wanted criminals being chased by the Inter-Galactic Police Department...

But it isnt the "inter galactic police department" now is it. Just because you come up with a similair idea doesnt mean he stole it from you. And it doesnt matter either, because you won't get credit in game. Also FTL travel is impossible in the rimworld universe so an intergalatic police department wouldnt exist anyway.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

TechnicPyro

I never said he stole the idea of it, I just said how it was really similar, the police were a joke, sort of a reasoning behind that failed to seem funny.

crafty_geek

3 ideas, interdependent on one another:

1) A class of incidents that are 'trigger incidents'.  E.g., they toggle on or off the ability for other types of incidents to occur.  A solar flare would be a trigger event if it made lightning strikes impossible for the duration, for example.

2) Communications Lost: destruction of certain objects causes changes in trading and raiding events.  This is already kinda implemented with the trade ships, but could be built on.
My idea - have another radio-based object.  The trading object (currently Comms Console) requires this new object (Antenna?) to function.  But, this also has the job of broadcasting out a signal that basically says "We're Here!" [using a self-contained solar cell and battery - no need for a power grid].  If the antenna is damaged sufficiently in a raid, neither traders, raiders, nor traveller landings will occur.

3) Assuming you have this Antenna object, have it spawn by default at the start of a new game.  However - have a new Storyteller that spawns with a damaged Antenna, so those who want to build a base first, and then let the raids and trading start, can just leave their Antenna nonfunctional until they're sufficiently ready [or, alternatively, they need trading... maybe make worlds with this Storyteller extra sparse...)

Pakislav

In combination to Tynans 'Police Drop'.

Police arrive, one of your Colonists is an escaped convict (Criminal past). Either let the Police Arrest him or fight back.

That, in combination with second event; Members of criminal organization can arrive and demand the same, possibly fighting with policemen that happened to come at the same time.

When group reputation will be implemented, this could lead to an interesting story, influencing the player into choosing one of two factions, Law Enforcers or Criminals who are constantly at war.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Pakislav on January 13, 2014, 01:06:38 PM

Police arrive, one of your Colonists is an escaped convict (Criminal past). Either let the Police Arrest him or fight back.

That, in combination with second event; Members of criminal organization can arrive and demand the same, possibly fighting with policemen that happened to come at the same time.

When group reputation will be implemented, this could lead to an interesting story, influencing the player into choosing one of two factions, Law Enforcers or Criminals who are constantly at war.
Apparently the police were a "joke"

so lets put the right lore here shall we.
If this happens they have to be limited to your solar system or planet because, as said earlier ftl travel doesnt exist in the rimworld universe.So they have to stick to pistols and things like that.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

TechnicPyro

Quote from: Pakislav on January 13, 2014, 01:06:38 PM

Ok now THIS is extremely similar to my suggestion...