Nutrient Paste Dispenser needs rework

Started by Morrneyo, January 08, 2018, 07:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grubfist

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 31, 2018, 06:51:14 PM
Quote from: Grubfist on January 31, 2018, 04:52:41 PM
cram as many resting spots as possible into it, then shove them into it and set one or two to be fed so they fight over the food the warden brings in.

Holy shit they will fight over food?! Or you just mean, they all run for it once it hits the ground?
That second thing. Though they will often beat each other up because they're in poor moods and take it out on each other.

AileTheAlien

I'm on vacation this week, so I worked on my NPD mod again, and discovered a few things. First, being able to interact with a thing like a stove or workbench, requires another separate definition, even after you define the building to have bills, ingredients, etc (WorkGiverDef). Also, if I make separate paste meals (so each refuel-type NPD can work with its single fuel), then I won't be able to get cannibalism to work properly (each food item can only have a single tasteThought in its definition; the way NP meals work now, is that the paste item gives one debuff, then the human flesh is coded on its own, and adds because it's an ingredient.

However, if I instead use the BiofuelRefinery as a starting point, it will basically act as a stove. (The BR basically uses most of the same definitions.) Cannibalism and insect meat would work, and you'd only need a single NPD building. It wouldn't be able to be a refuel-bar type building though; Since that type of thing won't have "ingredients". I could probably get around that with a hybrid aproach, where the "fuel" is any non-human, non-insect food / ingredient, and then the "meals" you can make would only use a smaller amount of ingredients for the traits. That would be pretty fiddly to balance (fuel usage over time, guessing how much for a meal.), and would make cannibal NPD usage much cheaper, since it would use less human meat. Although I guess raider meat is basically free, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Anyways, I think I'll just finish up the BiofuelRefinery-style NPD. Should be finishable pretty quickly, since I no longer need to mess around with multiple copies of everything for normal/insect/human varieties. It will still be a lot less hauling than the current hopper-system of NPDs, since I can just make the recipes give paste in large batches.

AileTheAlien

OK, that took more hours than I thought, even with the simplified recipe / copying off of the BiofuelRefinery. Anyways, here's the mod I made. Summary:
- overrides the default NPD, and disables the hopper
- works like a stove/workbench/biofuel refinery (haul food to it to make meals, can use a chair, outdoor and temperature penalties)
- large batches mean low amounts of hauling (the original item's description says it should be low-time, but the weird hauling negated this)
- costs, time, etc should be roughly balanced, but I'm totally open to feedback (either reply here, or reply here with a link to your pull-request ;)
- I also added dehydrated nutrient bricks, as a cheap but horrible replacement for pemmican / packaged survial meals
- is ugly, to hopefully balance against people wanting to make huge batches for sale, or completely replacing survival meals, kibble, or pemmican

The size and image is the BiofuelRefinery, because I actually don't like the current / updated NPD graphics (or even the old one, to be honest). But I'm totally willing to change that if somebody (pull-)requests it, or suggests something better. If it's not too much effort, and somebody requests it, I can make it downloadable in the Steam workshop, for people who are less comfortable with mods. Hardest thing is finding the location/folder for mods, to copy-paste into. :)