Texture format

Started by AndrewZ, January 19, 2018, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewZ

Why RimWorld always do this with custom textures? I tried various png formats and always gets the same (compressed?) effect. Is any way to avoid this?

So, there is a default beautiful wall on the right, and custom .png texture on the left (based on the original!).

swefan

Can you post the modded .png file? From what I can see, it seems that the grout lines at the bottom are distorted and the grayscale looks different from the original, less contrast maybe, and also there are jpeg artifacts at the top, did you use a different resolution than the original one? Anyway the original atlas for the walls is in grayscale format.

AndrewZ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AeqA-LT6sW5TvheOz9PInYm3LMPXaYcO
I just added some things to default exported texture and then save without any compression (via PS). Btw, if i just use default wall .png texture without any edit it anyway not looks like the original.

swefan

Try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9o5ps91k3u5vl2/%2B%2BEmbrasure_Atlas_Bricks.png?dl=0  (before I had linked the wrong image, make sure to try the one with the two ++ in the file name)

It should be the same format as the original.

AndrewZ

swefan

Before I had linked the wrong image, make sure to try the one with the two ++ in the file name, if you tried the right one I don't know what the problem is.

AndrewZ

I tried the right one. So, i think it is kind of the engine feature, that compressed our .png textures. Default textures is .dds with the dxt compression or something. But in our case we can't choose the compression, and engine choose it for us.  ::)

AndrewZ

is any way to avoid this issue, guys?

Haplo

Your problem is the different ingame shade that your texture has, correct?
The only solution I know is to make your texture roundabout 10% darker (or lighter in some cases).
But there may be a better solution around that I'm not aware of :)

CannibarRechter

Is it the color/shade he is complaining about, or the distortion?
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects