[W|0.4.462 Alpha 4e] Improvised Turrets don't fire at Mechanoids

Started by Aenir, June 06, 2014, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aenir

I got attacked by my first pair of Mechanoids, so I turned on all my turrets as they approached.  They broke down the door, the turrets turned to face them, and never fired.  I had to bring out my 5 colonists with shotguns to kill them.  I had electricity and the turrets were all powered, they never stopped facing the Mechanoids but not a single shot was fired from any of the turrets.

OmegaConstruct

The mechaniods hacked into to the controlling computers of the turrets. Skynet is taking over.

Pulaskimask

The robots are revolting! They won't attack their own kind.

ValsNoisyToys

Hm, my turrets did fire at the mechanoid, so it sounds like this is an occasional glitch. Ah, the fun type to find. :/ Unfortunately I can't recall if I had upgraded the turrets by then or not.  That might be a factor though.

Aenir

So later in the same save I got attacked by a larger group of Mechanoids, and this time my turrets did fire at them.  I definitely had the turret firing upgrade for the latter fight, but I might not have had it for the first fight; that's the only guess I can think of.

StorymasterQ

Then probably the hacking thing is actually true. After the upgrade, they can't hack them again, so they fire. If this is a bug, I vote not to fix it, just because it's such a great feature, at least story-wise.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Aenir

Assuming its even the cause, why would researching "Gun Turret Cooling" cause turrets to no longer be hackable?

StorymasterQ

Maybe...Maybe the mechanoids gives out some sort of heat wave, warming the turrets to the point of overheating. After researching GTC, they have an additional cooling unit to make them work again :D Hey, I'm just making up stories as I go.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Well you are the storymaster *Badum tssh*

On topic however, this is a bug, can you reproduce this?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

HeadWar

Could it have been an issue where the closest hostile was behind a wall, and thus couldn't be shot? I've noticed my turrets do that with raiders a few times.

Hiztaar

It's not limited to Mechanoid. On A4F it's happening with simple raids. Turrets do not attack anymore after a reload.
"What do you mean, "*They* cut the power ?"

[B18] United States Colonial Marines (Aliens) - All mods