How to make a weapon down an opponent quickly but deal little damage?

Started by EpicJ, February 17, 2018, 08:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicJ

I'm working on a melee weapon that functions a little bit like a taser. It delivers a shock upon impact in order to down opponents without seriously harming them.

The problem is i have no idea how to do this reliably. I've been tweaking stuff like base damage and the damage type, and have settled on decent poke damage and fast swinging. This seems to down an opponent more often than killing them, but it still occasionally just kills them outright which is not ideal.

Is there any way to have a weapon deal high 'pain damage' but low actual damage? Any other method of downing an opponent quick whilst dealing minimal injuries would be great too.

wwWraith

I think you should create new damage type which will give increased pain or other hediff directly reducing consciousness (or maybe movement). I saw tasers mentioned in some mods, but haven't used them personally and can't recall their names. But I think you can find good examples in Sparkling Worlds (pain stick/gun) and Rim of Madness - Vampires (Sleep vampiric ability). Also you may find useful Truly Non-Lethal and Custom Death Randomness.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

vovik

Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht
Ich bin die Stimme aus dem Leere
Ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht
Ein heller Schein am Firmament
Mein Herz brennt

Jernfalk

Quote from: wwWraith on February 17, 2018, 12:00:02 PM
I think you should create new damage type which will give increased pain or other hediff directly reducing consciousness (or maybe movement). I saw tasers mentioned in some mods, but haven't used them personally and can't recall their names. But I think you can find good examples in Sparkling Worlds (pain stick/gun) and Rim of Madness - Vampires (Sleep vampiric ability). Also you may find useful Truly Non-Lethal and Custom Death Randomness.

I recommend lowering mobility to zero, since it causes no damage. Zero consciousness causes "Coma" with can be fatal.

ExoticButts

Just remember though, downing any non-Colonist has a 67% chance to instakill, hardcoded. I've got a few weapons I'm working on that do some pretty cool stuff, and have had to balance them around this instakill chance.

kwang4

Really? The way I made my weapon was to use a hediff that dealt extreme pain. So far i've used it quite a few times without one-shotting anyone. The problem was that it still did minuscule amounts of damage.