How not trusting people gets you killed

Started by Ukas, March 09, 2018, 09:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukas

The pain woke Amelie "Engie" Flais up. She didn't remember much, but something had gone terribly wrong in the spacecraft. The only thing she remembered was someone, or something, attacking her. Several stab wounds around her body confirmed this. The blood was real, the pain was real. The assault had to be real as well.

She couldn't move her legs so she turned her head, very carefully, to take a look around. She was lying on the grass, there were some big and very harvestable looking pine trees around her. She also recognized a plant, a wild healroot. "If I just could move, I could use that thing to tend myself" she thought. An hour or two went by, and she still couldn't move. Then, suddenly, she heard human voices from the distance. As if people were coming closer. Amelie was right. Two people, a man and a woman, wearing extremely well made parkas, were walking towards her. The parkas seemed to be slightly too warm for the weather. The man was armed with an assault rifle and the woman was carrying a wooden mace.

Amelie panicked. In all truth the couple didn't seem to be very threatening. They were smiling to each other and while walking they seemed to be involved in a deep discussion about arts and stuff. Perhaps because she had been attacked just few hours ago, Amelie wasn't going to trust anyone. She had noticed her condition was improving, as couple of her wounds had already stopped bleeding. The biggest wound though, was getting worse. She gathered all of her strength and stood up. By now she was sure they were after her. Maybe to kill and use her skin to make cowboy hats - she had hear all the stories about colonists in these backwood planets, and what they are capable.

It took all of her will power, but Amelie managed to get on her feet. Still in pain, she started to walk. The colonists followed, but seemed to keep a distance. They were shouting to her: "Please stop, you're wounded and we can help you! We mean no harm!" Yeah, sure. Amelie knew, that the interplanetary slavery would have been abolished already hundreds of years ago, if there weren't these colonists capturing helpless victims and selling them to slavers. She did her best to walk faster no matter how much pain there was.

Then, from above, came another sound, as if the sky had cracked open. Her first thought was it must be another escape pod - maybe another crew member had survived! Suddenly Amelie realized she was standing in the middle of a weird shadow, which grew larger. Perplexed, she looked up.

The colonists heard the sound too, but their focus was on Amelie, who turned her face towards them. Her face was full of terror. "Heeelp!!!"

BOOM! In the very spot where Amelie stood just a moment ago, was now a huge block of components. The colonists were terrified. The life in this planet is hard, sometimes unforgiving and after many years they had seen a thing or two... but still, sometimes these tragedies are so overwhelmingly random. They were there just to help an engineer, but got engine parts instead.

Vlad0mi3r

Have been waiting for death by cargo pods to happen to me ever since they made them explode on impact. Knew it was only a matter of time.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503