Internal Version 243

Started by Tynan, October 28, 2013, 01:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsdworker

sounds very good i can't wait for it - either i get it or watch it

CustodianV131

You forgot to sent me the new version... Oh wait :P Nah... I'll wait some more. Not long now :)

•   Hid the trait system for now to avoid confusion (since traits do nothing).

This I don't agree with. LPérs on Youtube did assign them certain behaviors due to the traits.. so they did do something. Only in their minds not in the code :D

Looking forward to see the system implemented. I like the images it paints and the personality it gives the characters.
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

British

The traits-hiding is a temporary "fix" until the traits system is fully implemented, I'd wager.

CustodianV131

Quote from: British on October 29, 2013, 05:47:27 AM
The traits-hiding is a temporary "fix" until the traits system is fully implemented, I'd wager.

I know. That's why he says "for now" in the notes. Just found it amazing how much effect a non functioning system can have :D
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

Blitz

I was thinking that since you are redoing jobs a little bit, is there a way you can easily seperate repairing from constructing? Call the job technician or mechanic or something along those lines?

Kazzier

Quote from: Blitzkriegsler on October 29, 2013, 09:29:46 AM
I was thinking that since you are redoing jobs a little bit, is there a way you can easily seperate repairing from constructing? Call the job technician or mechanic or something along those lines?

Yer I'll agree with this. I watch Blitz's videos as he makes them and one thing that is quite apparent is that repairing objects in dire situations can be very tedious. For example if a raid is happening it may be worth having one "mechanic" undrafted and letting him run around fixing up the turrets, rather than having to manually draft/undraft click repair every 3 seconds.

Besides, the more classes the better.

Ludde

Quote from: Blitzkriegsler on October 29, 2013, 09:29:46 AM

Great suggestion.

Tynan

Splitting repair out is easy on my end. I worry a bit about micromanagement; it adds another column to the overview screen. However, I think it makes sense.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kalesin

Quote from: Tynan on October 28, 2013, 01:45:20 PM
•   Added skills (which do nothing yet): cooking, medicine, artistic, crafting.

:D

Spike

Quote from: Tynan on October 29, 2013, 02:07:48 PM
Splitting repair out is easy on my end. I worry a bit about micromanagement; it adds another column to the overview screen. However, I think it makes sense.

Depending on what your vision of the "finished" game is (in regards to skill), maybe do a two-tier system for skill organization?  Something like this, for example:
Menial Labor:
   Cleaning, Hauling, Repair
Skilled Labor:
   Mining, Construction, Growing

And on like that.  Then it would be easier to disable (through background or player choice) a broad set.  It might even be possible to do the skill display in a collapsing tree type of interface.

sparda666

one thing  Imthink would be really cool is on the overview panel to display the level of the relevant skill in the checkboxes so you can more easily delagate tasks without having to swap between the character panel and the overview

Tynan

Quote from: sparda666 on October 29, 2013, 09:33:02 PM
one thing  Imthink would be really cool is on the overview panel to display the level of the relevant skill in the checkboxes so you can more easily delagate tasks without having to swap between the character panel and the overview

It does this :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kazzier

Do we have an approximate idea when the Youtubers will get the new build?

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. Or will the backers get it at the same time.

Many thanks.

British

Quote from: Kazzier on October 31, 2013, 09:47:00 AM
Do we have an approximate idea when the Youtubers will get the new build?
As the subject of the thread implies, it's an internal version, and thus only for testers to bang their heads at.

Consider this thread as a way for Tynan to keep people informed on what he's working on, with more details.

A version is being tested right now (it's not build 243 anymore), and if things go well, it will be the public version (for YouTubers as well as the KS backers at large).

Kazzier

Got ya. Thanks for the information.