Beds...

Started by Bilxx1, June 12, 2014, 01:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilxx1

I personally would LOVE to be able to tell a rescurer/capturer wich bed to take an incap colonist/prisoner to. On top of that, having an option directing the path to be taken would help also. I cant count the number of times Ive gone through the bed reassignment routine to get a gravely injured person to either the closest bed or a quickly placed sleeping spot. If theres a free bed they will try to go there <even through enemy lines> instead of the placed spot a few blocks away. It would just be nice to override ownership of a colonist bed or designate where a prisoner is to be taken as long as its a valid "cell".

jhabinsk

I second this, I've lost several colonists because they traversed across a battlefield trying to get an injured comrade or enemy to the 'wrong' bed.

AwesumnisRawr188

How about being able to designate a bed as an infirmary bed? Make it an extra well defended room where injured people go.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: AwesumnisRawr188 on June 12, 2014, 03:55:19 PM
How about being able to designate a bed as an infirmary bed?

Yes. I like this.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Sion

How about removing the bed ownership altogether from the game so the colonists always uses the closest bed when they are tired?
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

iame6162013

Quote from: Sion on June 13, 2014, 08:46:46 AM
How about removing the bed ownership altogether from the game so the colonists always uses the closest bed when they are tired?
why, i know it makes sense but, who wouldn't want to sleep in his own little bed?
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

StorymasterQ

Quote from: iame6162013 on June 13, 2014, 08:50:50 AM
Quote from: Sion on June 13, 2014, 08:46:46 AM
why, i know it makes sense but, who wouldn't want to sleep in his own little bed?

I think this could be implemented, but there should be consequences. For example, sleeping on a particular bed more than once gives a slight buff (say, "my own bed") This could be set, for example, when the colonist goes to sleep, does he have to reserve a bed or does he already have one assigned? If the latter then he gets the buff. If not then find another bed. Might be the infirmary. Might be an outpost bed.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Sion

How about this:
Sleeping spots can't be personal, they are randomly used by whoever is closest.

Bed defaults to the current bed ownership behavior, but you could make it a public bed if you want to, just as you can make a bed to a prison bed.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Sion on June 19, 2014, 12:09:03 PM
How about this:

Bed defaults to the current bed ownership behavior, but you could make it a public bed if you want to, just as you can make a bed to a prison bed.
^ This could be useful for a bunk room kind situation, where you have dozens of beds lined along both walls, have your colonists just choose a random one each time they need to sleep.
this could also lead into some form of bi-period work pattern, build only enough beds to support half your force, one group works during the day and the other during the night. allowing for greater productivity.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Sion

Quote from: Coenmcj on June 19, 2014, 08:27:10 PM
Quote from: Sion on June 19, 2014, 12:09:03 PM
How about this:

^ This could be useful for a bunk room kind situation, where you have dozens of beds lined along both walls, have your colonists just choose a random one each time they need to sleep.
this could also lead into some form of bi-period work pattern, build only enough beds to support half your force, one group works during the day and the other during the night. allowing for greater productivity.

I have tried this, I only had half of the beds required and after each "sleeping session" I toggled them to prison beds and back again.
Both the production of the colony AND the game play was increased because the game never stopped as it always do in the night when everyone are asleep.

I only wish I didn't have to remember to toggle the beds manually, I would also like if there were no penalty for not sleeping in their own bed, but a positive boost to let them sleep in their own bed, because the game flows better when there always are people awake.

kirasaw

I really like the idea of an infirmary. it could also be a place to store all of the first aid kits.