[Tool] ModManager

Started by pbgben, June 13, 2014, 12:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbgben

Hello all,
I recently posted my concept for an auto-updater and had a suggestion to make a mod manager... So here we go!

Id like to get some suggestions on how you guys/galls want it to work, things like features and styling.

Suggestions:
    Delete/backup, savefiles.
    Delete/deactivate/activate/backup/Download, mods without starting Rimworld.
    Alerts you if your using an outdated mod
    Warns you if your using a mod that is not compatible with the current alpha

Want to show your support?
[URL=http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4044.0][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oBc6u7X.png[/IMG][/URL]

Celthric Aysen

Suggestions:
1. Delete/backup, savefiles.
2. Delete/deactivate/activate/backup/Download, mods without starting Rimworld.
3. Alerts you if your using an outdated mod
4. Warns you if your using a mod that is not compatible with the current alpha

Questions:
how were you originally planning on handling mod downloads?
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

pbgben

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on June 13, 2014, 01:09:57 AM
Suggestions:

Questions:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I plan to host a website where mod owners can submit them, the mod owners will have to keep them updated and list compatible versions. The client will just download/remove mods to/from the folder you select.

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: pbgben on June 13, 2014, 01:23:05 AM
Suggestions:

Questions:

I plan to host a website where mod owners can submit them, the mod owners will have to keep them updated and list compatible versions. The client will just download/remove mods to/from the folder you select.
sounds good. hopefully everyone will start using it once its out :).
But i suggest you fix up the website first so that once you release it there will already be mods to download,
also maybe categorize the mods. starting from major mods and ending with minor mods.
maybe use tabs.

mrofa

Hmm interesting, you could add a tooltip when hover over mod with a brief description and maybe a small image
All i do is clutter all around.

Kubouch

I was thinking about this recently, great idea! I'll be definitely using it.

If you play Skyrim (Oblivion, Fallout 3, ...), you might look at Nexus mod manager, Mod organizer or Wrye bash for inspiration. For example Mod organizer creates a virtual game directory so it doesn't change the actual game content and it also has profiles so you can quickly switch to the mod collection you want - again without altering the game directory.

Also make sure that the hosting server doesn't go down and advertise the project properly when it's finished. You have my full support (which doesn't actually mean much since I can't code or anything :-D).

JorDash

I was going to suggest taking a look at Nexus Mod Manager. However you do it, +1 for this.

iame6162013

hmmm this sounds quite interesting :)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

jaredis1

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on June 13, 2014, 01:32:30 AM
Quote from: pbgben on June 13, 2014, 01:23:05 AM
Suggestions:

Questions:

sounds good. hopefully everyone will start using it once its out :).
I would so use this for my mod!!! but one thing i ask, dont use the date as a way of updating the mod, plz make us mod makes have a xml file saying all about the mod like

<ModName>RileysAllInOneCraftingMod</ModName>
<...>0.2.3<...>

you know what i mean, that way lets say we do a sub update, we can mark it as one, or to a small update like 0.2.1a was for my mod. I have use mod managers that use the date for updating old mods, i just really dont like that cuss what if the server or the computer that the app is running off date is wrong? then it will not work...

StorymasterQ

Hmm, will/can this tool determine what mods are a particular save game is using? That would be a most wonderful tool, though may not be possible. The saves don't have this information, do they?

Say I've done a game with a particular set of mods. I then downloaded some more and activated them and deactivated some incompatible ones and make a new game. When I want to play my older save, I can't remember which mods I had on at the time.
What will this tool do? Will it remind me when I'm changing mods configuration? Is this what "backup/restore save game" mean? What about merely backup/restore modsConfig?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

pbgben

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 15, 2014, 11:34:17 PM
Hmm, will/can this tool determine what mods are a particular save game is using? That would be a most wonderful tool, though may not be possible. The saves don't have this information, do they?

Say I've done a game with a particular set of mods. I then downloaded some more and activated them and deactivated some incompatible ones and make a new game. When I want to play my older save, I can't remember which mods I had on at the time.
What will this tool do? Will it remind me when I'm changing mods configuration? Is this what "backup/restore save game" mean? What about merely backup/restore modsConfig?

I'm still trying to work out the best way to do this. One of the ideas it to have a "profiles" type setup, where each profile will have a separate game Dir so the saves would be profile specific. Another problem is distribution of mods, should the mod creator provide their own link, or should I create a website dedicated for RIM mods?

Celthric Aysen

A website would be nice.

bvierra

I have a website I have been writing for this about 90% done, I hope to have the beta out this weekend. It will also parse the mod for things like version made for etc.

It is 100% API driven for doing things like updating mods, etc.

I am on IRC as bvierra if you want to hit me up.
Planet RimWorld Mods - http://mods.planetrimworld.com

Jaxxa

You have probably already thought of this but the ability to change the order of mods would be awesome, as it can get a little hard when mods depend on each other.

Also if you could give a warning if multiple mods are trying to change the same thing and overriding each other would be helpful.

Coenmcj

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this looks dead.
One of the last posts was by Celthric in June, Although it is a shame, perhaps the new Launcher talked about in the change log will do something similar?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite