Hand power generators

Started by Zeloznog, April 01, 2018, 02:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeloznog

I think that hand powered generators that can only be used on command (you have to draft or whatever) that increase hunger and tiredness in the user, and reduce joy/mood could be a good addition. The point is that they could power some hydroponics during a solar flare. Some way to mitigate the effect of a solar flare, open to ideas. 

Alerter

If only we could force our prisoners to do some "healthy activity" like that...
Anyway, +1 from me. But I think that those generators should have very decent energy outcome to be viable.

sick puppy

no need to immediately nerf your invention, i think it is good as it is

as someone who has tried some of these machines myself in real life, i can tell you how ridiculously inefficient they are. to keep a sunlamp going you'd need dozens if not hundreds. keeping a ventilator on is easy. but heating up water or even cooling down a room is VERY hard.

on that topic, i think many machines in rimworld are unbalanced if you look at power consumption. cooling and heating is easily the most energy consuming process in any household. light on the other hand should be much cheaper than they are now, even large sun lamps. i am not sure about hydroponics in real life, but i always felt like they were kinda cheap in that regard. but that's kind of a different topic.

generally, having a couple of these manual generators wouldnt be too bad as in bad times you could just assign a couple pawns of yours to work out on them and it will produce a bit of energy. problem with solar flares is that it reks your machines, not that it sucks your energy out of your batteries or something. the hydroponics just wont work, that's all, with or without manual generators.

but as an early tech i'd love it. you would get it for free when researching electricity and the wood burning generator thingie would have to be researched cheaply and afterwards wind, solar and in the end the ones you place on geysirs.
in my vision you could build it very cheaply with a small amount of steel and some more wood, maybe 30 wood, 10 steel and a component which is the price of a barrel without the component.

Tomasdav

Damn have you seen Rick and Morty? He has entire universe to produce electricity for his car its great idea but things like dynamo are just useless in greater scale

Call me Arty

I cannot for the life of me find the name of, or find an example of, that circle with the four handles that you've always got slaves turning. Not, like, actual slaves, the fun Conan-style ones. That'd be my idea for handless power. Otherwise, one of those bikes people ride for power would just piss-off all the people who couldn't have BMX tournaments in their colonies after it was added.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Texaskimo

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 17, 2018, 09:58:29 AM
I cannot for the life of me find the name of, or find an example of, that circle with the four handles that you've always got slaves turning. Not, like, actual slaves, the fun Conan-style ones. That'd be my idea for handless power. Otherwise, one of those bikes people ride for power would just piss-off all the people who couldn't have BMX tournaments in their colonies after it was added.

I think you're referring to a capstan.

Call me Arty

Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

sajberhippien

Quote from: sick puppy on April 01, 2018, 09:13:38 PM
on that topic, i think many machines in rimworld are unbalanced if you look at power consumption. cooling and heating is easily the most energy consuming process in any household. light on the other hand should be much cheaper than they are now, even large sun lamps. i am not sure about hydroponics in real life, but i always felt like they were kinda cheap in that regard. but that's kind of a different topic.
Furthering this aside: I think the basic lamp and sunlamp should produce some heat; being simple incadecent lights would *kinda* explain their energy cost, at least a bit. Then have some researchable fluourescent or LED lighting with low energy cost...