[1.2] Room Sense: See important stats for relevant rooms graphically

Started by falconne, April 07, 2018, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconne

This mod helps you get a quick overview of the state of your important rooms, with a toggleable overlay providing graphical representations of the stats relevant to each room's role (e.g. wealth, beauty, cleanliness, etc) as "meters" for each stat.

Essentially it gives you a faster overview of what the environment inspection tool does. You can mouse over individual panels for more detail, similar to the environment tool's room info panel. This will help you work out what each meter represents.

Only stats relevant to a room's role are displayed (e.g. Bedrooms care about all stats, but Hospitals only care about space, beauty and cleanliness). General storerooms and workshops show no stats because their condition does not affect colonists' thoughts.

By default a coloured heat map is also displayed over relevant rooms when the overlay is enabled, keyed to the "primary" stat for each room (which is "Impressiveness" if it's relevant to the room, or else an average of the relevant stats). You can enable and disable both the meter panels and the heat map independently, as well as adjust their opacity, from the Mod Settings page.

The individual meters are segmented based on how many buckets the game divides each stat into (which correspond to different labels in the environment display, such as "dull", "mediocre", "interesting", etc). A meter's colour will be red, yellow or green depending on how bad or good that stat is in that room.

The overlay is toggled on and off with a button added to the bottom right tool dock, alongside the environment inspection tool, roof overlay toggle, etc. It can also be toggled via a configurable keyboard shortcut (the default is the equals key "=").

You can click through the overlays to buildings and items below them.

It is safe to add to or remove from an existing save.

Subscribe: Steam Workshop
Direct Download: Github Release

Source Code: Github
Licence: GPLv3 (free to do what you like, just give me credit).

Mouseover the panels for detailed info

falconne

GrumpyProgrammer

Since you mentioned in the other thread about wanting testers, I thought I'd give it a go.

I've played for several hours now and have found no issues. The whole thing works as intended and is great! It provides a very nice, succinct graphical representation of how good the room is.

I really can't think of much in the way of enhancements, either. Maybe something that tells the player how far away they are from the next bar on the graph, so they know how much they need to improve a stat? That's all I have for suggestions.

Really, this mod is great! I highly recommend it to anyone.

sidfu

one improvment add above the box the rooms type.

also a need to bee able to resize the box would be nice. in my game since i play in window it tends to feel squashed and small

falconne

Quote from: sidfu on April 08, 2018, 05:05:00 PM
one improvment add above the box the rooms type.

also a need to bee able to resize the box would be nice. in my game since i play in window it tends to feel squashed and small

I had intended to add the room type, but thought it might make the box too big. I think I'll add it and have an option to remove it.

I will also add the ability to set the size of the panel in the options, thanks for the suggestion.

falconne

Made a small update:
* Add option to show room role name in info panels
* Explicitly add cleanliness as being relevant for kitchens because the vanilla defs do not

Naji

bigheadzach

It's an alternative (and imo, much clearer) representation of the statistics that determine the quality of rooms. You'll easily be able to tell which rooms are poor, and if so, what criteria are lacking.

ambivalence

does it work with mods that modify room parameters? i'm especially interested in compatibility with Realistic Rooms (the most popular one) or ETRT: Room Size Tweaks (with different stats?).

falconne

I haven't tried but it should work. The mod reads the stat info dynamically from the game data, so new stats should show up. Let me know if they don't.

falconne

Just done a bugfix release, should fix the hospital overlay bug