Colony Reproduction

Started by StarSploder, June 17, 2014, 05:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarSploder

You need to make it so the colonist can fall in love and you know get down and all that and the women would get pregnant for a good amount of time and while she's pregnant she'll move a little slower work not as much and after the time period she'll start birth and someone will take her to the hospital(like she'll not be able to walk and she'll sit there and someone will have to take her to a hospital doctor or she'll die from birth out in the open and that includes medical beds and all that stuff)and it won't show anything in this process and she'll give birth and the baby will need to go to an incubator or something for a while and then it grows up into a kid then adult and stuff so you can have your population grow by capturing people and having a natural birth.

Untrustedlife

The amount of colonists is INTENDED to stay low (as stated by tynan)
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

vagineer1

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 18, 2014, 01:26:17 PM

I agree as there needs to be a limit as to not overload the game but what about raiders? They should have a limit aswell so they don't completely roll over you.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: vagineer1 on June 18, 2014, 01:32:44 PM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 18, 2014, 01:26:17 PM

I agree as there needs to be a limit as to not overload the game but what about raiders? They should have a limit aswell so they don't completely roll over you.
I hope sieges, sort of replace "giant raider balls of death", then we wouldnt have to worry about that....
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Bozzarr

you dont have to wait for too long , just vatgrow people.

StorymasterQ

Background: Vat-grown Colonist. Nice.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ElversEden

I still think a reproduction mechanic would be worthwhile. I mean, the game is entirely story driven, and what better for a story than romance, pregnancy, and kids? I mean, there would still be a limit on the number of colonists one can acquire, you would just be able to get to that limit through different means. It would make sense for the lone survivors of a crashed passenger liner to eventually develop romantic attachments to each other, and in a long-term survival situation, reproduction would be a logical path.
"They're comin' out the goddamn walls!"

Headshotkill

Maybe not that extreme but I do want to see friendship and hate, emotions should really make this game more complex.

StorymasterQ

Yes, but how desperate are you that you'd consider the world you crashed on, a desolate, out of the way rim world, a viable location to live in long enough for any sort of "long-term survival situation"? In my mind, at most there will be friendship and hate, like Headshotkill said. A little friction here and there, a bit of drama, but not reproduction. With the end game content of building a ship and getting off of this god forsaken planet, the idea is survive long enough for that to happen.

You can always write fanfiction on what happens ON that ship, based on what happened on the planet, but probably not until they're safely off of it.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

johnakers

Immediately after crashing "most" people would not be having sex on the mind.  But I like the idea and it could work.

Just like the colonist can have mental breaks, why not feelings that they are never getting off this rock?  Eventually some fall in love and sex is a natural human desire that can happen.

As a man who has cheered at a negative pregnancy test, sex doesn't guarantee pregnancy...  Also their could be a hidden stat where some men/women are infertile.

Crash victims could be a pregnant woman as well.

If pregnancies are based off real time, it would take a long time for a child to be born and grow into a productive member.  You just couldn't instantly explode your population from this and the danger of death during birth would be high for mother and child (lowered by doc skill and technology).

Gabriel_Braun

Quote from: Headshotkill on July 02, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
Maybe not that extreme but I do want to see friendship and hate, emotions should really make this game more complex.

Totally agree with this but it would be seriously difficult to implement given the lack of player knowledge in regards to the social aspects.  Even in the sims franchise there is no tangible social feedback though they have social modifiers and moodlets that let you get the basic idea of their interactions.

Firefly was based almost completely around the social relationships between the crew members but the concept of rimworld does not (nor can I foresee it in the future) give the pawns enough definition to allow that.  Take 'Inception' as an example of what I'm trying to say:
You create the world, you design the levels but it's the subject that fills it, it's their subconscious that populates the worldspace...

I'm liking the way Rimworld is based on our conception of the scenario rather than titles like prison architect that might be very similar but have constrained and defined backgrounds and personalities for the pawns.

If two players share an identical save from the start of the game they will perceive their starting colonists in completely different ways, that's the beauty of it IMHO :D

ElversEden

Quote from: Headshotkill on July 02, 2014, 11:59:11 AM

Quote from: StorymasterQ on July 02, 2014, 09:09:15 PM
Yes, but how desperate are you that you'd consider the world you crashed on, a desolate, out of the way rim world, a viable location to live in long enough for any sort of "long-term survival situation"? In my mind, at most there will be friendship and hate, like Headshotkill said. A little friction here and there, a bit of drama, but not reproduction.

I understand both of your points, and I agree there should definitely be friendship and hate. I guess the whole "the point is to escape the planet, not repopulate it" thing makes sense, though it would still add more story, whether or not it entirely made sense. It could be an optional setting, for example, for people with your mindset to turn off.
"They're comin' out the goddamn walls!"

absentminded

theres a thread here http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3906.0 with a fair number of ideas on this

TheNakedM24Man

I hope Tynan opens this open to modding at least, but making it official would be awesome.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: johnakers on July 04, 2014, 08:02:05 AM
Crash victims could be a pregnant woman as well.

"Pregnant" is already one of the traits available on start, so even though traits are not implemented yet, Tynan could very well mean for these types of drama to happen.
Whenever I see a post about pregnancy in Rimworld I'm always reminded of that guy who had a Pregnant male colonist. Good times.