Infintie Research

Started by jasiek0202, May 09, 2018, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasiek0202

I am sure that everyone has had this situation: a brilliant research colonist reduced to cleaning duties after the last tech has been acquired. Simply adding more technologies will not solve this in the long run. My suggestion: technologies that can be researched in an iterative manner. At the end of each major "branch" there could be a tech that can be researched over and over again for diminishing returns.

For example, after geothermal power is researched, there is "Efficiency 1" for say 1000 points that increases the efficiency of geothermal stations by 10% (of base value). Once that is researched, "Efficiency 2" becomes available for 2000 points that increases the efficiency of geothermal stations by 5% (of base value). This would appear in the same physical space on the tech screen as "Efficiency 1" so that it does not actually grow in size. As each project is completed, the next one becomes available with their cost growing in a linear manner while the benefit they provide follows the sequence k/n where k is a constant while n is the number of the tech. This sequence is not converging - technically any increase could be achieved, but the time to reach insane bonuses would be huge.

This would mean that there is a point in researching late game as you can always get a bigger buff, but colonies would require a very long time to reach "over powered" stats. My other ideas include:

* Faster machining crafting at the end of the gun tech tree
* More HP for turrets at the end of the gun tech tree
* Higher capacity for batteries at the end of the refining and geothermal power tech trees
* Higher treatment quality after vitals monitor
* Higher yield from mining / faster mining speed after deep drilling

I just think it would be great to have something like this for the late game. On the topic of research I am also of the opinion that there should be a technology for crafting simple prosthetic, glass eyes (get rid of disfigured but provide no sight bonus) and maaaaybe even crafting bionics (would need advanced components and plasteel). But that is not relevant here. What do you guys think about having an infinite tech tree?
You can't observe a corpse if you've eaten it

Glitterworld Medicine

This actually seems like a good idea.

meee

Sounds good. Research ideally shouldn't ever be an obsolete task, something like this would help.

Steel Balls

This is an AWESOME idea, sriusly!

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: jasiek0202 on May 09, 2018, 09:34:14 AM
I am sure that everyone has had this situation: a brilliant research colonist reduced to cleaning duties after the last tech has been acquired. Simply adding more technologies will not solve this in the long run. My suggestion: technologies that can be researched in an iterative manner. At the end of each major "branch" there could be a tech that can be researched over and over again for diminishing returns.

For example, after geothermal power is researched, there is "Efficiency 1" for say 1000 points that increases the efficiency of geothermal stations by 10% (of base value). Once that is researched, "Efficiency 2" becomes available for 2000 points that increases the efficiency of geothermal stations by 5% (of base value). This would appear in the same physical space on the tech screen as "Efficiency 1" so that it does not actually grow in size. As each project is completed, the next one becomes available with their cost growing in a linear manner while the benefit they provide follows the sequence k/n where k is a constant while n is the number of the tech. This sequence is not converging - technically any increase could be achieved, but the time to reach insane bonuses would be huge.

This would mean that there is a point in researching late game as you can always get a bigger buff, but colonies would require a very long time to reach "over powered" stats. My other ideas include:

* Higher capacity for batteries at the end of the refining and geothermal power tech trees

I just think it would be great to have something like this for the late game. On the topic of research I am also of the opinion that there should be a technology for crafting simple prosthetic, glass eyes (get rid of disfigured but provide no sight bonus) and maaaaybe even crafting bionics (would need advanced components and plasteel). But that is not relevant here. What do you guys think about having an infinite tech tree?

Fantastic!!! Now that is a WAY to make an entrance to the forums.

We also need alterations in the already existing research subjects.

* I never research "Brewing" in hot biomes.
* I don't research any Drugs except maybe penoxycyline when my starter pawns are 50% all drug interested.
* I never research "Colored Lights"...
* I never research "Autodoors"
* I never research "Packaged survival meals"... because caravanning still sucks.
* I never research "Tube television", unless I'm done with all important ones and I don't want my scientists wandering around, so I give them something to work on but not out of necessity.
* I never research "Electric Cremation" either.

So we already have 5 useless research subjects which I rather have them renamed and purposed for something else within the Suggestions in the forums, take your pick.

Tomasdav

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on May 12, 2018, 12:06:05 AM
Quote from: jasiek0202 on May 09, 2018, 09:34:14 AM

Fantastic!!! Now that is a WAY to make an entrance to the forums.

We also need alterations in the already existing research subjects.

* I never research "Brewing" in hot biomes.
* I don't research any Drugs except maybe penoxycyline when my starter pawns are 50% all drug interested.
* I never research "Colored Lights"...
* I never research "Autodoors"
* I never research "Packaged survival meals"... because caravanning still sucks.
* I never research "Tube television", unless I'm done with all important ones and I don't want my scientists wandering around, so I give them something to work on but not out of necessity.
* I never research "Electric Cremation" either.

So we already have 5 useless research subjects which I rather have them renamed and purposed for something else within the Suggestions in the forums, take your pick.
Lol dude you what? Brewing and drugs are good for trade, colored lights are cool when you wanna make your pawns disco room, autodoors are kinda stupid cost too much but for someone who is annoyed why not, packaged survival meals are good if you dont wanna have high electric bill in hot biome, tube television is just another possibility of joy its good and electric cremation is great when you have like 200 dead riders dug in ground all around your base. I know that you are using mods so there are things like bonfires etc. But in basic vanilla game theese things are needed

Yoshida Keiji

You are mistaking me with somebody else. Honestly, I don't know who could that be that resembles me somehow.

I am Lost Tribe exclusive player and Vanilla only, plus I launch the ship without staying around too long. So there you have 3 different aspects of my gameplay that don't match my style.

For the past games, money has never been of importance to me, specially in Randy Extreme as traders rarely show up... PSM and TVs... can easily be scavenged from sieges and TVs...you can just buy and research anything else in the meantime.

I really don't know how you confused me with another player.