Advanced Starting Colonist Options

Started by PillowTalk420, June 18, 2014, 06:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PillowTalk420

Since we can just hit random until we get something we want, I don't think it would be too much to ask for an advanced system that will allow using a point buy type system to create the first 3 (or more or less) colonists manually; sort of like Dwarf Fortress's advanced embark.

AwesumnisRawr188

I agree with this, although it needs to be tweaked. I think you should have to earn those points from previous playthroughs. That way, you have to deal with what you have until then.

I would also like to customize the look of a colonist.

Bozzarr

You have chosen your desired colonists... and then what would you do ? I understand it might be slightly annoying when you keep on getting random colonists but just try to imagine how boring it would be if everything was as You have planned. Randomness and struggle are truly shaping You (as a player) and turning your colony into something you enjoy.

Battlemage15

This, actually, could open up a whole new area for the game; persistent progress.

Now that a new end-game condition (a victory condition in launching the ship) is coming in A5, the game can begin 'grading' us on how we did.  Each completed game (either loss or victory) is graded and for that grade, we get points to spend on the persistent portion of the game.  These points can be used to unlock free access to childhood and adulthood backgrounds.  Once unlocked, we can tailor-make starting colonists.  The more useful the background (for example, Colonist and Urbworld Urchin are very useful backgrounds), the more expensive.

However, these points can also be spent on other unlocks and upgrades; you can upgrade what is in the 'starting armory' (so you can replace one of the weapons with something else, almost always something better in the case of the pistols).  You can not only purchase specific weapons to substitute in, but you must also purchase the right to change one of the two pistols (by default you can only swap out the Lee Enfield).  You can eventually afford to change both pistols.  An example would be you get enough points to unlock the Uzi; now you can swap the Lee Enfield out for the Uzi.  However, if you have enough points you can also buy the right to swap a second weapon (one of the pistols).  So, you start your next game with a Lee Enfield, an Uzi and a Pistol.

The possibilities for persistent upgrades are endless.  More starting metal, more starting meals, more starting silver, more starting wood and the holy grail, a 4th and even 5th starting colonist.

Of course, this is all optional; you can disable your persistent upgrades with a simple check-box in the Advanced settings while setting up your initial colonists (to play a more pure version of Rim World).

So, tl;dr - yes, I support advanced colonist customization, but I support it being implemented as a part of a greater, persistent progress system.

HeadWar

Quote from: Bozzarr on June 18, 2014, 10:01:23 PM
You have chosen your desired colonists... and then what would you do ? I understand it might be slightly annoying when you keep on getting random colonists but just try to imagine how boring it would be if everything was as You have planned. Randomness and struggle are truly shaping You (as a player) and turning your colony into something you enjoy.
Since he suggested being able to do it, I suspect that he would enjoy it, even if you would not. I can't see the harm in having the option, you could still randomize if you wanted to.

ThermalShark

I support this. Always when starting a new game i press the "randomize" button about 100 times in total. We should also be allowed to set the age of the colonist, as it has no effect on anything.

The persistent credit system is interesting, but it is not something for an alpha. There are other more useful stuff to add before this.
What happens when Pinocchio says: "My nose will grow now"?