[1.3] [KV] ModSync RW

Started by Kiame, June 01, 2018, 12:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigheadzach

As an adjust project idea that (were I not inundated with real world work) I would use as a basis for my first modding project, a mod in the spirit of modded Minecraft's WAILA that would attempt to modify tooltips/descriptions of objects and features added by mods, to include what mod is providing that resource.

This way you can always tell if what you're wanting to do is something that vanilla provides or if you'll need help from a mod's author if it's not functioning like it should. (or who to thank for its coolness!)

Stickie

Awesome work, loving it!

Was thinking about making something similar, stumbled upon this.
I took the liberty to add Bitbucket functionality and will be filing a PR soon filed a PR.

Kiame

frenchiveruti

Hello Kiame, I encourage you to remove the spanish translation from the mod because it's extremely outdated, when I make some time for myself I'll make a new one for the new implementation of modsync. 
It's great to see this tool as I always thought it would be cool to be.
Greets.

Kiame

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remove it for now

UncleIROH

How does the modlist get generated for this mod? Does everyones modsync.xml get uploaded to a central location or something and then version checks are done from that?

Kiame

It relies on mod authors to host the modsync.xml file somewhere. This mod is completely decentralized so it relies on the individual modders to host their files.

For example all of my mods had their own GitHub repo. The modsync.xml file for each mod is accessible there. When someone with ModSync RW checks the version of mods, ModSync RW checks each mod's ModSync.xml file, reads where the remote ModSync.xml is hosted then compared the local and remote versions in the file. If the remote's is larger the user is informed with red text for the mod

GitHub is not the only way to host the xml file. Just having a static URL will work too as long as it gets updated with the new version when the mod does

LWM

If people are using this...is there a way for mod authors to do the setup ...without installing the mod themselves?

I can write an .xml file by hand; adding a mod, restarting rimworld, then restarting again to remove the mod is a bit of a pain.

--LWM

Kiame

You can write it by hand just look at the modsync.xml file in the About directory.

Question, why remove this mod after adding it? This mod is very lightweight and does nothing once the game starts - doesnt do anything actually unless you click the modsync button on the main screen

LWM

phuhque

Now, if it would just go online when I start the game.  Almost ever time I start, it says I am offline.  I have a lot of security in front of my computer.  Where does this program connect to, what port does it use, and what method does it use to get to the internet?  I have to specifically create pin-holes for every single little thing.  Obviously, I do not play many multi player games, unless I host them locally.

Kiame

Quote from: phuhque on March 01, 2020, 03:12:08 PM
Now, if it would just go online when I start the game.  Almost ever time I start, it says I am offline.  I have a lot of security in front of my computer.  Where does this program connect to, what port does it use, and what method does it use to get to the internet?  I have to specifically create pin-holes for every single little thing.  Obviously, I do not play many multi player games, unless I host them locally.

The networking code is here: https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-modsync-rw/blob/master/Source/RestUtil.cs

Basically uses .NET to call externally first to google.com to verify it can connect then loops through each loaded mod and if the mod has a .modsync file it'll open it and connect to the endpoint specified in that file. The connection to google is not secure (http vs https) and i wonder if your network is blocking insecure requests.

LordHelmchen

Greetings.
I'm trying to sort through my old mod selection after forgetting about Rimworld for about a year, and this looks to be a good first step, followed by copying over the mods.
Alas, RimWorld (1.1.2567, with royalty) complains about ModSync being incompatible, wrong version or corrupted.
I redownloaded it already, and currently no other mods are installed, so that rules out incompatible and corrupted... Anything I can do?

Apparently I've been away too long ... forgot about HugsLib and Harmony is now a separate mod...
May I suggest that you add the dependency on HugsLib to the About.xml ?

frenchiveruti

I still love this mod.
Kiame, do you need an update on the translation?