bored/drunk me had an idea

Started by patoka, June 11, 2018, 02:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patoka

so i am (still) drunk and bored and suddenly remembered rimworld because beer and smokeleaf.

my brain thinks it would be a funny "social experiment" if i "tipped off" the media of the existence of it.
[size=78%]you know. rimworld. pew pew pew. people dying. blood carpets. prisoner abuse. animal cruelty. randpm acts of violence towards minors. nudity. public sexy timey. homosexuality. "fornication". cannibalism. art from the parts of dead people. starvation. people living in their own dirt (in some mods). being forced to tragically fight your family members to the death. stealing organs of incapacitated visitors. producing and selling hard drugs to inigenous people. and worst of all: real. fur. coats.[/size]
anyway. you know what rim goodness i mean.

so what if *certain* news outlets caught wind of this game? this incarnation of evil? what it [insert news media name] would eat it up like ot happened so many times already with so many other games by all sides of politics?
what if they didnt even do it for a political statement but for some kickass clickbait? ("you will not guess what this game teaches your children that involves overdosing on drugs; enjoying cannibalism; and unattended minors")
everybody knows one or two media companies that would be perfectly suited for a little "outrage" over a game, especially nowadays. (i purposely dont say any concrete names, no need to start something that silly here. i am just here for the fun)

it has happened before but as far as i know only on a very small scale. i kinda wanna repeat this until more mainstream media notices rimworld, especially since 1.0 might just eventually come out and i heard tynan wouldnt be too mad about some more peeps buying this game. it is free advertising, afterall.

can anybody think of a real downside to this? like, would it actually be that much of a hassle for whoever is responsible for press statements at ludeon studios? i am sure they can just copy and paste their last statement that the media shouldnt be such crybabies and that you guys dont care.

another downside i wouldnt count is how we should feel remorse for screwing with the media. no we shouldnt feel bad for it because we dont force them to write about anything. they actively choose to put each and every story into their show or newspaper or radio/tv program or podcast or whatever and it is entirely their responsibility to check stories for truth and if it makes logical sense what they claim and so on. you know. they should at least act as if they all were interested in good journalism and stuff.

@mods or generally non-normal users: feel especially encouraged to comment on it, even if it is a: "get sober first and then a real hobby, idiot" as you guys have more insight to what the big "rimworld exposed" articles in the media sparked (or didnt)
also please dont ban me. if you ban me for this post instead of answering i take it as an "oh hell no, dont do that you dumbass" and will think of something anyway because i dont like censorship. (yes this is a political statement. please dont derail the topic anyway)

surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

patoka

still drunk
still open for different views

edit: not drunk anymore, still kinda feel bored though. do or n't?
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

mabor0shi

Quote from: patoka on June 11, 2018, 02:26:29 AM
people dying. blood carpets. prisoner abuse. animal cruelty. randpm acts of violence towards minors. nudity. public sexy timey. homosexuality. "fornication". cannibalism. art from the parts of dead people. starvation. people living in their own dirt (in some mods). being forced to tragically fight your family members to the death. stealing organs of incapacitated visitors. producing and selling hard drugs to inigenous people. and worst of all: real. fur. coats.
You forgot to mention force feeding drugs and alcohol to menial laborers to keep them complacent with the pointless toil and struggles of life. Maybe that hits too close to home for you?
btw, i LOLed at "selling hard drugs to indigenous people".

p.s. I know it's you Anderson Cooper. Go ahead "patoka". Tell your liberal media buddies about Rimworld. See if I care.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

patoka

Quote from: mabor0shi on June 12, 2018, 02:42:24 AM
You forgot to mention force feeding drugs and alcohol to menial laborers to keep them complacent with the pointless toil and struggles of life. Maybe that hits too close to home for you?
nice one. nah, everything is fair game.
p.s. I know it's you Anderson Cooper. Go ahead "patoka". Tell your liberal media buddies about Rimworld. See if I care.
you overestimate me. neither do i have such a melodic sounfing name, nor am i politically affeliated with any side, nor do i work for the media (or work in general) and i certainly am not emotionally capable enough to care about other people's feelings.
i am really just some fag that's bored out of his mind

gipothegip

So basically an "any publicity is good publicity" sort of idea, in line with the idea of advertising through sparking controversy?

I don't know. I think the unfiltered and extreme stuff that happens is what makes this game great, so it makes some sense from a marketing perspective, but I wouldn't want to perpetuate the crusading against everything that might be "offensive".

people dying. blood carpets. prisoner abuse. animal cruelty. randpm acts of violence towards minors. nudity. public sexy timey. homosexuality. "fornication". cannibalism. art from the parts of dead people. starvation. people living in their own dirt (in some mods). being forced to tragically fight your family members to the death. stealing organs of incapacitated visitors. producing and selling hard drugs to inigenous people. and worst of all: real. fur. coats.

This got strangely political o.O
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

mabor0shi

Quote from: gipothegip on June 14, 2018, 08:47:02 PM

This got strangely political o.O
Ah, but you see...
(yes this is a political statement. please dont derail the topic anyway)
It started out political! I was just kidding about the "liberal media" stuff. I think
1. no one in the media is going to believe this is a game for children, so they won't care AND 2. the truly offensive stuff isn't very easy to show in short video clips, unlike a first person shooter with nudity and intestines or something, so they won't care
Showing Rimworld on the news and saying it will warp children's minds is like showing a chess set wherein all the pieces are naked men and saying "Look at these black and white chess pieces knocking each other over. They are engaged in interracial homoerotic behavior! It's going to turn all the children gay."
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Listen1

A game is a tool to give power to the player do anything he wants.

If the wants to the all the bad stuff possible, it's up to the player. If we wants to create a colony of vegan farmers and their labrators, it's up to the player. No tool has an alignment, only the user can can choose what he makes with it.

As for bad press, in an era that political correctness is agree to being called a "mean, mad, white man", I believe that Rimworld should not be thrown to some jornalist to be said "This game is a mysoginist, rapist drug filled training for the alt-right to assert their white privelage."

Ugh.

I believe that this game is a tool for entretainment. I know that everything is political, but this game gives alot of freedom for you to play your own way.

gipothegip

Quote from: mabor0shi on July 20, 2018, 01:32:09 AM
Ah, but you see...
(yes this is a political statement. please dont derail the topic anyway)
I stand corrected.

Showing Rimworld on the news and saying it will warp children's minds is like showing a chess set wherein all the pieces are naked men and saying "Look at these black and white chess pieces knocking each other over. They are engaged in interracial homoerotic behavior! It's going to turn all the children gay."

You kid about the chess thing, but I had a TRAGIC incident playing the game once. I can't even handle checkers, it's too similar, I cry every time.

We must put a stop to the rape fantasy known as "chess".

Quote from: Listen1 on July 20, 2018, 07:32:31 AM
As for bad press, in an era that political correctness is agree to being called a "mean, mad, white man", I believe that Rimworld should not be thrown to some jornalist to be said "This game is a mysoginist, rapist drug filled training for the alt-right to assert their white privelage."

I find the mention of mysoginy funny, because there already was an article claiming that.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

mabor0shi

Quote from: gipothegip on July 22, 2018, 05:18:18 AM
You kid about the chess thing, but I had a TRAGIC incident playing the game once. I can't even handle checkers, it's too similar, I cry every time.

We must put a stop to the rape fantasy known as "chess".
Quote from: Listen1 on July 20, 2018, 07:32:31 AM

I find the mention of mysoginy funny, because there already was an article claiming that.
gipothegip Trigger Warning: The following quote uses the word "pawn" which may cause flashbacks for someone who accidentally sat on a pawn one time while playing chess and it went inside them.
In a piece for gaming site Rock Paper Shotgun published this week, Lo described how her two male pawns relentlessly hit on her gay female pawn. "Her life is a constant hellish stream of corny pick-up lines and work for the colony," she wrote.
You are supposed observe the pawns and use your imagination to fill in the blanks of the story, which she seems to have done quite well. But the story it tells can only vary within the limits of it's programming. It is always about people struggling to survive, constructing buildings, it is always fairly colorless (unless you have my mod, see my signature for details), etc. The game is also programmed so that, no matter what story it tells you, male pawns will always initiate romance far more often than females. Also, male pawns will never be bisexual (probably just a programming oversight) but all females always have a chance of accepting another female's romantic advances.
I thought the article would be ridiculous, but she was right about the facts. If she thought some quirks of pawn behavior were going to be harmful to society, she should have made a Social Justice mod to make male and female pawns behave exactly the same. She obviously knew enough about programming to do so. I love that about Rimworld. It's so easy to mod that even a woman could do it (JUST KIDDING!) But no, she would rather complain than make a change. Typical woman (JUST KIDDING AGAIN!)