Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

name_here

Tynan

New build going up.

Here's the raw changelog:

----

Need recreation sources alert shows the sources you don't have as well as those you do.
Minor code rearrangement in some caravan-related code.
Added debug command to give plague to people in caravans.
Adjust food poison chance.
Increase raider death rate a bit now that rescue quests are more of a thing.
Made an alert when a pawn is assigned to recreation or in need of recreation is bored of all recreation types, with an explanation of what to do about it.
Rename some ToString methods for consistency.
We can now customize per-ThingDef the work it takes to uninstall a building. Made uninstall work longer for deep drills.
Outlander towns always sell plasteel and uranium.
Rebalanced what long range mineral scanner finds. More variety, more uranium, plasteel is possible.
The game now informs you why a pawn got food poisoning.
Fix: Food poison chance from room doesn't apply if roomless. Chanced food poison chance from room cleanliness from a factor to an offset.
Slight rebalance on centipede; he's a bit faster now.
We now always let the player know about SiteParts (except ambushes).
Fix: Insects spawned by deep drills attack deep drills.
It's now impossible to shoot in melee.
Fix: It's possible to capture a downed refugee via reform caravan screen even when he's surrounded by sleeping mechanoids.
More FactionBase -> Settlement changes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Scavenger

Panthers can haul now, i haven't seen that mentioned in any patch notes. Is that a bug? Or are there more hidden patch notes on animals? Because its one of my favorite changes!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Tynan

Quote from: cactusmeat on June 29, 2018, 01:57:13 AM...
Remember that cat that couldnt move? A warg ate it. I lost 3 rep. Fair enough.

I read this whole story and was laughing from the halfway point. This line in particular I found hilarious. Thank you. For some reason the clipped writing style made it funnier.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Madman666

- Increase raider death rate a bit now that rescue quests are more of a thing.
> God, wasn't 66% rate already high?? I don't want to have to send my people to die trying to rescue an invalid with couple addictions, incapable of violence and 67 years old. At least capturing raiders lets you choose non-awful people, those quests just stick you with absolutely random pawn. Thats If you're able to beat 6 sleeping mechs with 2 people... Please don't? Like seriously?
- Outlander towns always sell plasteel and uranium.
> Cool, change. That alone makes traveling to faction bases viable lategame.
- Rebalanced what long range mineral scanner finds. More variety, more uranium, plasteel is possible.
> No steel? I don't get it... You really want to keep us constantly steel starved... Otherwise very nice change. I will definitely be visiting those mining sites lategame.
- The game now informs you why a pawn got food poisoning.
> Thats nice. If you screwed up - it tells you where exactly.

Also i am really glad that finally not every single quest forces you to go save someone's dad and mommy anymore, I was getting tired of constant awful moodlets, since i never want to go out early game.

zizard

I'm not sure whether this was changed, or whether it is simply more visible in NB runs, but I think infections are actually too consistent. Early game is almost all fail and past a certain point you almost never fail again.

Scavenger

Shouldn't shotguns and pistols be able to fire in melee? Especially now that shotguns got a AP nerf. I thought really close range was shotguns purpose, and some pistols. I do love the change over all to make melee more of a thing though!!

But if a raider does manage to close the gap, isn't your pawn kinda Fkd?
I'm not sure if the goal is to never let it close on you with a ranged wep, but it would be nice to be able to carry a small melee wep to switch to in those  cases. Or let pistol whipping do a bit more damage than a punch.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Madman666

Quote from: Scavenger on June 29, 2018, 05:10:37 AM
Shouldn't shotguns and pistols be able to fire in melee? Especially now that shotguns got a AP nerf. I thought really close range was shotguns purpose, and some pistols. I do love the change over all to make melee more of a thing though!!

Exactly because of how dangerous melee is, melee should restrict the use of any ranged weapons. Otherwise if you could just shoot point blank, melee would have no purpose at all. Nearly any ranged weapon has more DPS, unless its specialized advanced weapon like a longsword or a gladius. And even against a gladius if you could shoot attacker in the face with a shottie, i wonder who'd win.

Though predators hunting your colonists now pretty much will always succeed in eating them, since the only way to counter a predator was to feed it with lead point blank.

Wildfire628

Quote from: Madman666 on June 28, 2018, 02:43:49 PM
You are underestimating pyromaniacs. Fires are probably the most destructive force in this game. And pyromaniacs tend to break in worst possible scenarious. Like when you're being invaded by a huge crowd of tribals, or some mechanoids drop right on your head. And right in that glorious moment a pyro decides, that its a good thing to set fire to your whole medicine supply. Its good if you can quickly dispatch a team to beat those fires out. Now imagine that mechanoids landed in the middle of your base and you can't stick a single nose out of cover, watchin how merry flames eat your valuables behind laughing mechanoids... Thank god, i am a calm person. I only flayed that bastard and made a chair out of him.
Pyro is the singular make-or-break trait for me, outside of RP colonies, simply because of the resources and risk involved. I don't care how skilled or useful they are because when they have their mental break(depending on their location) I have to dedicate at least one person to babysit them and that means suddenly I am down two pawns for an indeterminate amount of time with absolutely no counterplay to prevent this situation aside from being selective about who we let in.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the random breaks involved in pyro, gourmand, chemical interest/fascination, and anything I missed. I can understand why they aren't gated like normal mental breaks, but mood management should be rewarded even with these traits. Anyway, I'm starting to toe the line of a suggestion topic, so I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.

Ambaire

Quote from: Tynan on June 29, 2018, 04:39:04 AM

Why? Shotguns and pistols should always be usable in melee.

My proposal: give short-range weapons bonuses to hit at melee range, and long-range weapons penalties to hit.

Scavenger

Quote from: Madman666 on June 29, 2018, 05:18:40 AM
Quote from: Scavenger on June 29, 2018, 05:10:37 AM

Exactly because of how dangerous melee is, melee should restrict the use of any ranged weapons. Otherwise if you could just shoot point blank, melee would have no purpose at all. Nearly any ranged weapon has more DPS, unless its specialized advanced weapon like a longsword or a gladius. And even against a gladius if you could shoot attacker in the face with a shottie, i wonder who'd win.

Though predators hunting your colonists now pretty much will always succeed in eating them, since the only way to counter a predator was to feed it with lead point blank.
I thought using a ranged weapon in melee heavily reduced accuracy, therefor allowing it to be used as defense, but giving melee far more power. Shotguns had power because they were great in melee and close range. Now, they are out ranged by other guns, useless in melee range, AND almost no AP. Giving them a far smaller niche. Could just be my imagination:P They feel a lot weaker right now.

Scavenger

Quote from: Ambaire on June 29, 2018, 05:33:50 AM
Quote from: Tynan on June 29, 2018, 04:39:04 AM

Why? Shotguns and pistols should always be usable in melee.

My proposal: give short-range weapons bonuses to hit at melee range, and long-range weapons penalties to hit.

I would say all long range weapons are unusable in melee, ARs, Rifles, ect, while shotguns and pistols ARE usable in melee, but with reduced accuracy. Further cementing shotguns IRL niche of dealing with short range. Maybe even reduce the range on shotguns a bit more? Or reduce their accuracy at the longer range?

You would need to make melee weapons still outperform shotguns in melee range i think... so melee weapons aren't useless, but let them have the chance to defend with a accuracy penalty at melee range with a shotty instead of being useless.

Madman666

Guys, who would ever choose to go in full-melee, when you know, that you ll get face full of bullets point-blank? The only unique and useful advantage of melee combat in RW always was that you can disable people armed with dangerous ranged weaponry by ambushing them into melee. So this is how it should remain.

Scavenger

Oooh, and maybe even give pistols MORE of a accuracy penalty in close range than shotguns, so they are more medium/close, while shotguns are close/melee. Giving shotguns the tactic of combating long range pawns much like a melee would,  try to close in on melee range where they are unable to retaliate effectively, but you can still attack back. Or lying in ambush waiting for them to get too close, like a melee would.

Scavenger

Quote from: Madman666 on June 29, 2018, 05:42:24 AM
Guys, who would ever choose to go in full-melee, when you know, that you ll get face full of bullets point-blank? The only unique and useful advantage of melee combat in RW always was that you can disable people armed with dangerous ranged weaponry by ambushing them into melee. So this is how it should remain.

I do agree... Melee weapons should be unmatched in the only range they are capable of functioning. Which is why i suggested accuracy penalty. A melee pawn should still win out like 70%+ of the time vs a shotgun imo, if they are able to close without taking enough damage to cripple them. Let a shotgun try to focus on either closing in on long range like a mele, or attempt more of a kiting style fight with a melee character. If you can hit them enough to cripple by the time melee closes, maybe you have the chance to beat them toe to toe. Otherwise, Kite them. Often times a solid melee hit will slow your move speed, making it hard to kite. Striking a delicate balance.

Its hard to give both shotguns and melee weapons their own unique identity without shotguns always being the go-to because they also have some range.