Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serina

I agree to the above statements regarding food poisoning. Also, it would be nice if the pawn that came down with food poisoning thought that maybe it would be a good idea to lie down and rest in their bed or a medical bed instead of passing out in the middle of nowhere.

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on June 23, 2018, 02:45:12 PM
QuoteAlso, Predators became stupider, now you can just wait until they hunt and once their prey is dead, a player can attack it as it won't turn revenge mode but flee instead, only that after a few tiles away, it will return to feed, giving the player more chances to hit a sitting duck until it finally perishes...

I thought it was surprising that they lowered revenge proc on them too.  The fundamental issue with them (constant manual pixel hunt) didn't change.  Note that earlier in this thread, you mentioned an issue with pawns getting caught at the edge of the map...complaining about that and saying predators hunting colonists is okay is incoherent - it's the same issue wearing different clothing. 

Predators targeting colonists for hunting with 0 notification remains an inconsistent implementation in Rimworld in 1.0 and that has yet to be refuted in any capacity by anybody.

It would be nice if a notification was implemented. I agree with this. Currently, the best way I've kept my colonists safe in 1.0 is to constantly check the wildlife tab to see what the predators are up to and to see their hunger levels. I appreciate the wildlife tab a lot.  :)

TheMeInTeam

Yes, the wildlife tab makes it *much* less painful.  However, it's still among the only interactions like this...imagine a battery you had to manually order a touch on every few days or it has a small chance to explode, deleting a pawn. 

There is a mod that gives an alert when a predator targets a colonist for hunting.  This is actually a strictly QoL mod - the game provides this information if you manually click on the predator.

The threat of this varies wildly by biome.  It's almost nothing on tropical/temperate/sea ice, while it's a constant problem on tundra (maps can easily have only caribou and wolves wander in, and wolves won't hunt caribou so you must look CONSTANTLY).

On a more positive note, a similar issue with monitoring disease is less bad now that you can tend disease before previous tend expires, cutting into some of the requirement to constantly watch diseased pawns manually to re-tend at exactly the right moment.

SpoonBender

I've been playing the unstable branch for a few days now and it seems the game got A LOT harder. I have almost 1200 hours experience in this game and I've always played on extreme difficulty. But now I've not been able to set up a successful colony on extreme difficulty. I have been killed by sappers and mechanoids mostly.

I admit I was a bit reliant on walls and a killbox. I don't use turrets, just a construction to feed them nicely to my gunners. But now there seems to be no use in building walls or a killbox whatsoever. I rarely get 'normal' raiders, mostly sappers, sieges and mechanoid ships.

Early game raids seem to have gotten a lot stronger too. Once I was up against 4 centipedes and 2 lancers with just 6 great bows to shoot at them. That didn't work out very well. One colony was destroyed by 6 raiders when I had just a short bow and 2 pawns, of which one was incapable of violence.

Walls get destroyed a lot quicker. I used to build granite defense pillars around the mechanoid ships, but now a burst from a heavy charge blaster destroys them and my pawns are without cover.

Then there's this change: "--Missed shots now have a 50% extra chance of hitting nothing; this will make missed shots less likely to hit random things (but doesn't change the chance of missing).". I think this is actually a pretty big thing. With many enemies clustered together missed shots used to have a good chance of hitting other enemies. This 'miss damage' is now reduced with 50%, which reduces the total damage output a lot.

I guess all these things were intended by the devs. It creates more dynamic gameplay, instead of the lemming trains into your defenses. I like it; the game is a huge challenge once again and i need to come up with new strategies. But maybe a bit more balancing is needed. Or maybe extreme difficulty should be next to impossible, which it wasn't before. What do you think?

Anyway, congrats to the devs. There's a lot of nice stuff in this update. I'm off playing Phoebe Chillax on rough difficulty now.

Edit: I just read Tynan's post 'The balancing process'. He says overall challenge got lowered, so maybe I'm just on a bad streak or something.

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 23, 2018, 02:32:18 PM
I don't remember if it was different in B18, but in VU1.0 Extreme difficulty, selling slaves only earns you $100 silver. It feels like you cannot become a "Slaver tribe", can you up the prices so that we can play another game strategy variant? It's like you took away another gameplay style.

Prisoners with health issues are sold at lower price.

PhantomFav

In caravan mode, during winter, your pawns can forage but cattle can't graze... seems legit :P

fritzgryphon

Carpet colors missing.  Only red available.

IIRC I researched carpet first, then devilstrand.  Don't know if that's relevant.

Loving this update.

Dargaron

Sappers seem much too focused on attacking walls. Even while my character is actively shooting at them, sappers continue to attack walls. Given how quickly a high-level miner can get through a wall and the current swinginess of armor deflection, it's entirely possible to have an enemy sapper run up to a stone wall and finish destroying it before a charge rifle-equipped colonist can incapacitate them.

I much preferred when sappers had to actually use explosives to get through walls, instead of tearing through them with their bare hands, Superman-style. The raiders almost always outnumber the player anyway, so they shouldn't be able to almost-instantaneously breech stone fortifications.

gadjung

Another thing :
It's too easy to make allies with providing 'gifts' to visiting caravans.
Giving 260+ bottles of beer maybe is a nice gesture, but should not give over 60 relation points. I would say making a cap of 10-15 reputation per visit would balance it, and prevent being the most popular village on the planet after just 2-3 years.

Madman666

I agree about "mining" sapper raids. Those are absolute bullshit.  If grenadiers need to stay there for a minute chuking nades at 2tile wide granite wall, those miners rip through it like paper in 4-5 seconds. That one was kind of bullshit even in B18. They mine both through walls and through mountain tiles 10 times faster (if not more) than any of your colonists can.

Gfurst

Quote from: Serina on June 23, 2018, 01:40:32 PM
Imo, maybe add different severity to food poisoning. Sometimes it could just be throwing up/diarrhea, but the pawn can still move around a bit. Maybe another time it could be more severe with the pawn needing half a day's worth of bed rest, etc. B18 food poisoning was very negligible and forgotten. However, always being incapacitated due to food poisoning in 1.0 isn't very balanced either. Anyway, I don't know if they decreased chances of food poisoning recently but I haven't had a single colonist come down with food poisoning since arrival (63 days). My cook only had lvl 4 in the skills but has two flames.
Agreed completely, food poisoning should have varying degrees of severity. Also agree on the chance, it is reasonably rare, but on the off cases that they happen they make an impression, and I can usually expect a chain reaction as well, like several colonist getting poisoned at once. Probably cause of common conditions triggering it, like bad cleanliness at the time.

Quote from: PhantomFav on June 23, 2018, 03:41:23 PM
In caravan mode, during winter, your pawns can forage but cattle can't graze... seems legit :P
Foraging rate during winter is quite lower, pretty much pointless.

I don't remember if it was different in B18, but in VU1.0 Extreme difficulty, selling slaves only earns you $100 silver. It feels like you cannot become a "Slaver tribe", can you up the prices so that we can play another game strategy variant? It's like you took away another gameplay style.
Just from looking at the picture I can see the slave is 96 years old, nearly an heart attack waiting to happen, I've exchanged some prisoner to a better one at very reasonable rate, so I don't its broken at all.

Also, Predators became stupider, now you can just wait until they hunt and once their prey is dead, a player can attack it as it won't turn revenge mode but flee instead, only that after a few tiles away, it will return to feed, giving the player more chances to hit a sitting duck until it finally perishes...
For me its seems to be quite a reasonable strategy to hunt predators, using long range bows, good judgment applied. From my experience solely the hunter can easily down some of them, and it helps keeping livestock safe. Of course if its a bear or rhino you need to be more careful.

Quote from: gadjung on June 23, 2018, 03:52:39 PM
Giving 260+ bottles of beer maybe is a nice gesture, but should not give over 60 relation points. I would say making a cap of 10-15 reputation per visit would balance it, and prevent being the most popular village on the planet after just 2-3 years.
How do you not expect 260+ bottles of beer to not give a heft relation boost? Just try to calculate their value at that...

Roolo

I have to say, I like most changes in 1.0. Especially the new QOL things that are added, the bridges, the improvements for caravanning, how armour works now, and yes, I even like the training decay for animals.

There's one thing I dislike though, that mechanoids now die on being downed, and that it's no longer possible to perform operations on mechanoids (for instance shutting them down, or removing scyther blades). I can imagine for vanilla this was only a small part of functionality that could be considered clutter, and it might have been in the way when implementing the two types of scythers. However, it offered great opportunities for modders. For instance, the more mechanoids mod had some addidtional mechanoid parts that could be scavenged. Moreover, I almost finished a mod that allows mechanoid hacking, which relied on this system, and I'm disappointing to see that it's dropped. I really hope this is revised, and that the system makes its way back.

Madman666

I second @Roolo. I was reallly looking forward to his mechanoid hacking mod. I really hope that mechs being downed will be allowed again. Or at least I hope that you'll be able to get it back through your mod.

gadjung

Quote from: Gfurst on June 23, 2018, 04:07:36 PM
Quote from: gadjung on June 23, 2018, 03:52:39 PM
How do you not expect 260+ bottles of beer to not give a heft relation boost? Just try to calculate their value at that...
the value is around 1,6k (264 * 6.24[sell price for me])silver, so not that much. I agree to some boost, but not from 34 to 100 (total relation gain was around +97) and one becomes ally at 75. I would expect getting relation points more stretched in time, over couple of visits/missions, rather than single gift thing.

rowlurorowf

Not sure if design flaw, bug, or intended...

Can't research Fabrication/Advanced Fabrication to be able to build advanced components without having an advanced component to build a Multi-Analyzer first.

Seems a little cart before the horse to me.  I ran a search and didn't see any other posts on this

Revshawn

I think it would be best if the Anemic ((SP?)) trait didn't make you sick when you eat raw meat or raw vegetables and gave you a mood buff! Currently it still gives you a good chance of being sick, which is quite strange to me to be honest.