Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anniebenlen

Reporting new (to me) bug that didn't happen the last time I played, last Sunday night.  I've been playing for about 5 hours today (still am, in fact) and I've had the game go to pause on me several times.  My hands are off the keyboard, I'm just watching my pawns do their things at 3X speed, then suddenly every thing comes to a screeching halt as the game goes to game speed = 0.

I just had this happen as I watching for it.  There were no new events associated with it, though I do have  a bulk good trader wandering around on my map who had shown up several in game hours earlier.  I can unpause it in the usual way, and I'm getting no error messages.  I am running several mods that I will be happy to list if that helps in anyway.

Tynan

Quote from: Bowman on July 12, 2018, 03:56:02 AM
Hi,

I have tried posting the ramp-up factor but I cannot find it in my game, I enabled dev mode in the options menu but I cannot see the rampup in the graphs at all. Is it a separate graph type? Should it be part of the wealth graph, or the statistics tab? Or a new tab? I don't see any changes to the history window. This might be because the save game started on an earlier build of 1.0. I can send you the save game if that helps - it's a 5-year game, I started playing at 1.0.1938 and finished now on 1961.

Ramp-up factor should appear in an option called "Debug" in the "Select Graph" button's pop-up menu in the History tab. However, it won't appear until you start a new game with dev mode on, since the update that introduced it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Quote from: Anniebenlen on July 12, 2018, 03:48:44 AM
Reporting new (to me) bug that didn't happen the last time I played, last Sunday night.  I've been playing for about 5 hours today (still am, in fact) and I've had the game go to pause on me several times.  My hands are off the keyboard, I'm just watching my pawns do their things at 3X speed, then suddenly every thing comes to a screeching halt as the game goes to game speed = 0.

I just had this happen as I watching for it.  There were no new events associated with it, though I do have  a bulk good trader wandering around on my map who had shown up several in game hours earlier.  I can unpause it in the usual way, and I'm getting no error messages.  I am running several mods that I will be happy to list if that helps in anyway.

Something must have caused it. It'd be great if you could go back to the last save beforehand and see if you can reproduce it. If so, please tell us how and/or post the savegame (in the bugs forum). Many thanks!

zizard

At about 300k wealth, 13 colonists, Cass Extreme, I've had several raids with over 20 mechs, but haven't seen any pirate in power armour yet. Feels a bit strange. Also I want to take their power armour, you know.

Tynan

New build!

Still hoping to see those ramp-up graphs (see my last post for info on how).

Thanks for the ongoing information everyone. Looking forward to more play stories and experience-based feedback.

---

Changelist is for reference, but please refrain from writing thoughts on the changelist alone in this thread. This thread is for experience sharing and discussion of play experiences with the build. (Unlimited theorizing is welcome in other threads of course, I'm just trying to keep things focused here.)

Reduce chance and increase interval of beavers incident.
Adjusted research speed stat so it crosses 100% at level 8.
Swap colored lights and firefoam in the research tree.
Research adjustments:
-Don't send ship battle warning letter in peaceful mode.
-Adjust various research costs.
-Don't require high tech bench for projects before micro electronics.
Factor HealthTuning.ImmunityGainGlobalFactor into all the defs immunityPerDaySick.
Rebalance diseases a bit.
Rebalance immunity effects of beds and resting so being out of bed isn't quite so deadly.
Added a subtle research speed factor to difficulty settings.
Adjusted some difficulty settings.
Rename hard/extra hard to rough/hard. Adjust difficulty descriptions.
Adjust bow art.
Reduced insect jelly from hives to 30. Increased scar chance to 2%. Made chased person raids tougher. Made frenzy inspirations 8 days long. Reduced food poisoning blood filtration impact so it's not a death sentence with disease.
Standardize and adjust quest durations and make quests a bit more lucrative earlier. Improved quest feedback in a few cases.
Quest rewards max out sooner.
Made sure UniqueVerbOwnerID() is always unique.
Invalid curMeleeVerb is now removed on load.
Loading a field with Unsaved attribute is now an error.
Tools ids are now generated from their index instead of specified in the xml.
Fix: Incorrect site threat points used while generating rewards.
Site threat points are now distributed equally among all site parts and core to support multi-part sites without making them insanely strong. Added "Spawn site with points" debug option.
Fixed some post-merge issues with rewards.
Bandit camp quest rewards and item stash contents total market value now depends on the site threat points.

mcduff

Quote from: Wintersdark on July 11, 2018, 10:29:43 PM
I only now noticed it, but oh my god.

I *absolutely* love the new "Do until you have X" restrictions.

I've always struggled to automate tailoring in particular to ensure there's always fresh clothing for my pawns, without accidentally ending up not making anything because I've tons of worn clothes, or stuff made of the wrong materials.

Now, I have jobs set up to ensure there's always 11 (I have 10 pawns) of each item of clothing, counting those that are equipped, that are also made of the correct materials AND over 60% health.  Now my pawns will just wander off and get changed if their clothes are too damaged (50% limit on outfit health), and immediately afterwards a new item will be made of whatever of the allowed materials is available.  Because of the "equipped" limit, this ensures seasonal wear is adequately available too. 

I can't begin to say how tickled pink I am with this.  Not just for clothing, of course, but that's the first use case I had.  These controls definitely make manufacturing a great deal easier.
Yup, this is really good, thanks.

mcduff

Quote from: Madman666 on July 11, 2018, 03:10:51 PM
I also don't really like the research change much and think making it x2 longer will achieve nothing, but make it just slow, while lategame researchers will still eventually be promoted to janitors which i find incredibly dissapointing. There really should be a way to use intellectual skill for the good of the colony aside from researching. I just can't believe a good scientist can stop being useful after a while at all. I'd like a more substantial research system rework, but oh, well. At least its straightforward enough - i'll just apply x2 research speed as a scenario condition and be done with it, so nothing critical.
I don't mind the research taking time. Hilariously though on my recent game I got an ancient danger with sarcophagi that gave me two high-level researchers, so with two benches and an analyser I'm still absolutely sweeping it. I recognise that this is an atypical play though!

Having something for intellectual people to do that isn't research would be good, but what?

Is there a way of having an "infinite" research that ticks up certain stats?

Madman666

Quote from: Tynan on July 11, 2018, 10:09:14 PM
This is theorizing based on obsolete information and changelist notes. This thread is for discussing play experiences, not changelist theorizing please.

I am sorry, but no, its not. It now has a decent chance of hitting a pawn, if said pawn hasn't any kind of cover and it does mostly oneshot them, but it hardly dealt with a weak early raid 6 people and seventh got away (it spent like 10 shots to hit a guy behind a rock and then 6 on another), because it run out of uranium to shoot. And that is for 60 uranium per barrel replacement. Its not useless anymore, thanks for that, but the term "of debatable use" is still accurate.

mcduff

The sniper turret seems to have a pretty niche use where it's great but not be that good for everywhere else. Personally I'd find a minigun turret much more useful - make up for accuracy penalties with a shitload of projectiles, much better at softening up swarms of raiders before they hit you.

Also, what about a flamethrower turret that uses chemfuel? Useful Area defense, with a downside of a huge explosion radius if they get to it.

Anniebenlen

Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 04:09:54 AM

Something must have caused it. It'd be great if you could go back to the last save beforehand and see if you can reproduce it. If so, please tell us how and/or post the savegame (in the bugs forum). Many thanks!

Certainly!  I have posted a link to the save game file saved right before the random pause.  At the time it happened I didn't really do anything, I had my hands off the keyboard.  The last action I took before the pause was to click on a notice of a cargo pod drop of rice.  The bug happens before the bulkgoods trader leaves the map.  If there is anything else I need to add please let me know, I will be back on tomorrow and on later dates than that of course.

Oblitus

Immunity starting at 0% while plague is starting at 46% is kinda harsh.

Also, this dromedary is now considered carried despite only minor movement penalty, which cases caravan (two dromedaries and one pawn) to be barely mobile.

Animals refusing to move when sick is a pain in the ass not only in caravans. Even if they totally can move, they waste handler's time who feed them, and they tend to use good meals for that. Especially stupid when they are feeding small animals like chickens (who also tend to catch infections en masse).

[attachment deleted due to age]

Ra66itInc

Hey Tynan, can you add an area allowed for prisoners? Its like the animal area in the old versions but this time for prisoners or specific prisoners. I want to build a torture room >:D

Tahnks for listening!
Howdy! Care for a glass of go-juice?

kchou94

Hi,

Here is my current game after 1 game year.

- Cassandra Classic Medium
- v 1.0.1961

Hope this helps!

kchou94

A couple more graphs, this time of wealth & population

Mehni

More than a few times now I've rolled a very nice pawn and hit "Next" only to realise that I didn't move them into the "Selected" section on the starting pawns page.

Any chance we can get a warning of "currently viewed pawn isn't selected to embark" when hitting the next button? I imagine this would be similar to the WorkTypesDisabledForEveryone check.