Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 12, 2018, 11:41:20 AM
I've long thought that Intellectuals could play the role of "Psychologist / Therapist" to help prevent or cure Mental Breaks. To help clear up Rivalries or reduce insults against certain colonists. This could require certain furniture to accomplish and the "therapy" could require maintenance, like animal training does. I'd think of these "therapies" like status buffs that only serve to counter the indicated "problem." Just a thought. Any others on this? Could get way cool.

Sounds like a thing that a pawn with a real good Social skill would be good at, not an Intellectual.

iamomnivore

Quote from: Oblitus on July 11, 2018, 06:22:39 PM
Why is firefoam popper gated behind microelectronics, while firefoam shells and IEDs are not?

Firefoam Shells could be nearly as simple as compressed chemicals trapped into a metal cylinder. A Popper is going to require some automation-abilities and triggers to facilitate use and application. I'd highlight an example of soldiers firing mortar shells from a mortar (very simple) to soldiers setting up a mortar shell as an improvised IED, using electronic triggers and a cellphone. They're not quite the same ...

Broken Reality

My colony had 6 melee and 5 ranged. Forcing the enemy to run over a river to attack you makes them easy pickings and the melee finish off anything that gets close. Melee feels far more satisfying to use now for me. Before I would rarely pick melee colonists at the start. I also feel that tribal start allows you to have better fighters in general as you have more pawns to get the skills you need to start (constructor, doctor, grower, cook, crafter).

Rivers have gone from something I rarely wanted on a map to now I want one with the new watermills especially as tribal. The river is the main reason I did so well in fights TBH. I am enjoying combat more in 1.0 than in B18, the different raids, melee feeling useful and so far I haven't used a kill box but I also kept my wealth in check putting what I got in to better weapons. The changes to combat and raids have made me experiment.

I definitely got lucky on my run I didn't have an infestation like Boboid's (the number of insects  seems crazy) and was never really hugely threatened except by the siege and the poison ship.

iamomnivore

Quote from: jamaicancastle on July 11, 2018, 11:10:50 PM
Quote from: jchavezriva on July 11, 2018, 11:02:17 PM
I had a raider die of no particular reason.

No blood loss, no vital organ destroyed, no limb lost, nothing.
That's quite common. Whenever a non-player-faction pawn is downed, there's a chance - I think it used to be 2/3, and is now 4/5 - that they'll just die. So your raider racked up injuries, went into pain shock, and the grim reaper rolled dem bones.

Is there any way a better system could be developed, for this? What about those that take one hit and drop (wimps) and ROLL TO DIE? Just saw it this week. He literally took one, non-lethal hit (not even bleeding.) I stared at his health records and just scratched my head. Had to shrug and say, "Unlucky bastard didn't sacrifice to RNGesus."

Is there any way we, as the player, can have a more convincing experience in this regard? It really kills immersion. I'm not sure what the answer is but, sudden and random death from inexplicable, non-lethal wounds -- not just a few times for weaker, older pawns but over and over for every pawn just Does Not Feel Good. Smacks (in the face) of Deus Ex Machina.

Madman666

This cracks me up every single time i see it. This was definitely a funny and cool design decision for social system. Even though not as deep as those of Psychology mod.

Jibbles

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 12, 2018, 11:47:43 AM
Nerf hits early game hard. The stack of slower experience gain and slower research mean that without a pawn with very good initial stats that you can dedicate to research you are very screwed.

Isn't this just part of the game? Isn't this normal? If one starts the game with a poor research pawn -- one knows what they're getting themself into. Let's not cheapen the game so that someone can have awesome hunting, building, growing, etc. and then also have decent research, even though other priorities were made -- because the game helped you do it. Can we avoid adding "crutches" to the game?

Cheapen the game, adding crutches? I see it quite the opposite when steps are taken to reduce RNG progression and outcome. When results are more in your hands and you have more decisions to make.  Pawns skills should come in handy yes, but having a highly skilled shouldn't skyrocket your progression or put you in situations you have hardly any control over when you don't have a decent one. 

iamomnivore

Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 04:25:47 AM
Added a subtle research speed factor to difficulty settings.

Brilliant.  ;D

iamomnivore

Quote from: JohnLG on July 12, 2018, 06:24:21 AM
Here's an annoying little bug - If a pawn moves because you ordered it to attack an enemy, you can't order other pawns to move to the tile they were previously occupying until their target is dead or they start moving toward another movement (but not attack) order.  Here's a little picture just in case - Nonna is considered to be occupying the red carpet even though she's been ordered to attack Grey and will never return there on her own. 

I've also run into this, regularly, during play in 1.0. Just as JohnLG states.

mndfreeze

Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 06:49:42 AM
Yeah, immunity was broken. Sorry. I'm pushing a quick fix now. Update in 10 minutes or so.

Something seems broken with it still, but I just had a pawn die of infection who was bandaged up right away and beating the infection before the infection even hit 100%

[attachment deleted due to age]

iamomnivore

Quote from: vzoxz0 on July 12, 2018, 10:35:49 AM
Huge annoyance: Time slows to 1x for the entire duration of a raid or similar event. That is not how it works in 18b -- it will eventually speed back up after a brief window.

Noticed this last night. Was waiting for the faster speed to kick in, during a fire-fight and it never happened. These guys must have shot passed each other for 5 minutes. I didn't have other options and had better cover but, lower firing skill. Just had to sit and watch D:

iamomnivore

Quote from: Madman666 on July 12, 2018, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: Boboid on July 12, 2018, 11:17:49 AM
I don't even blame you, it honestly felt like a very sudden game ender. I absolutely crushed the last attack (Siege with 2 doomsday rockets ~ 20 people - baited the rockets with excellent shield belts) simply by running over the top of them with melee weapons vs guns.
It was completely one sided. Can't say the same about that infestation, sheesh.

Edit: Here's the wounds - Bloody lucky overall https://imgur.com/a/2y3OvyU

You know, while admire you overcoming this crazyness, i really think this isn't how it should be on hard and maybe not even on extreme. Its weird that infestations actually scale with wealth in the first place (at least with raiders its justified by them knowing you have a lot of crap hoarded, so more will join to try and steal it), but ok, let them scale. But not to this extent. Whats this? Like... 20 friggin hives? Its at the level of that Arachnid mod, that sent game-ending waves at you. Yeah i know that with armor rework you can survive lots of hurt coming your way, but thats still excessive. Heaps excessive.

Your larger, more populated, more mechanized base is making that much more noise, vibrations, and heat. Of course more and bigger hives would be attracted.

Also, I'd just like to set forth a concern about players, admittedly not playing on Extreme, trying to set the standard for and provide opinions on what it is. Let us crazy people have our pinnacle :(

iamomnivore

Quote from: Madman666 on July 12, 2018, 11:49:04 AM
Quote from: iamomnivore on July 12, 2018, 11:41:20 AM
I've long thought that Intellectuals could play the role of "Psychologist / Therapist" to help prevent or cure Mental Breaks. To help clear up Rivalries or reduce insults against certain colonists. This could require certain furniture to accomplish and the "therapy" could require maintenance, like animal training does. I'd think of these "therapies" like status buffs that only serve to counter the indicated "problem." Just a thought. Any others on this? Could get way cool.

Sounds like a thing that a pawn with a real good Social skill would be good at, not an Intellectual.

And our greatest socialites, in high school, were immediately qualified to give therapy.  ::)

iamomnivore

Quote from: Madman666 on July 12, 2018, 12:04:40 PM
This cracks me up every single time i see it. This was definitely a funny and cool design decision for social system. Even though not as deep as those of Psychology mod.

Yes! More of this stuff, please :)

NagashUD

Not sure if i am at the right place for this, but i got raided by sappers , two of them threw grenades on close range, meaning while my pawns attacked on melee, they still threw grenades on them, killing both, shouldn't grenade have a minimal range like weapons ?

iamomnivore

Quote from: Jibbles on July 12, 2018, 12:31:41 PM
Quote from: iamomnivore on July 12, 2018, 11:47:43 AM
Nerf hits early game hard. The stack of slower experience gain and slower research mean that without a pawn with very good initial stats that you can dedicate to research you are very screwed.

Isn't this just part of the game? Isn't this normal? If one starts the game with a poor research pawn -- one knows what they're getting themself into. Let's not cheapen the game so that someone can have awesome hunting, building, growing, etc. and then also have decent research, even though other priorities were made -- because the game helped you do it. Can we avoid adding "crutches" to the game?

Cheapen the game, adding crutches? I see it quite the opposite when steps are taken to reduce RNG progression and outcome. When results are more in your hands and you have more decisions to make.  Pawns skills should come in handy yes, but having a highly skilled shouldn't skyrocket your progression or put you in situations you have hardly any control over when you don't have a decent one.

I believe you've seen this a different way than I was suggesting. I suggested that, regardless of situation (chosen or random,) there should be real consequences for not having a capable researcher. That simple.