Potential Solution for Pre-Alpha Access Dilemma

Started by Max1045, October 30, 2013, 01:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max1045

Hello! This is my first post, but I've been lurking/following the project for quite some time. It's nice to be here!

As read in the latest Kickstarter update, you (Tynan) won't be able to release the public build until part way through November. What I was thinking is, why not release the current Youtuber build as a sort of "demo" to the public? Then, in mid November, you'd be able to update the game to its current version for everyone who backed. That'd make everyone who backed (including myself) ecstatic, and also likely make the game noticed by a lot more people. It'd also give you an opportunity for large scale feedback from the community, and a generous portion of bug reports. Admittedly, bug reports are probably of limited usefulness at this stage, seeing as changes will likely be frequent and significant.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Semmy

Quote from: Max1045 on October 30, 2013, 01:33:46 AM
Hello! This is my first post, but I've been lurking/following the project for quite some time. It's nice to be here!

As read in the latest Kickstarter update, you (Tynan) won't be able to release the public build until part way through November. What I was thinking is, why not release the current Youtuber build as a sort of "demo" to the public? Then, in mid November, you'd be able to update the game to its current version for everyone who backed. That'd make everyone who backed (including myself) ecstatic, and also likely make the game noticed by a lot more people. It'd also give you an opportunity for large scale feedback from the community, and a generous portion of bug reports. Admittedly, bug reports are probably of limited usefulness at this stage, seeing as changes will likely be frequent and significant.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

I dont think that it will be usefull for bughunting.
Since we are further down the road buildwise.
Alot of changes have been made. Alot of bugs fixed .
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Voltronguy

i agree wit OP! demo from youtube builds for teh peoples!! ya!!

AcDie

Quote from: Voltronguy on October 30, 2013, 04:45:57 AM
i agree wit OP! demo from youtube builds for teh peoples!! ya!!
Why you use internet, if you can't find information?  ::) 
0.0.232 build was uploaded to torrents "long time" ago, enough for demo-play & see how its looks like.  :o
P.S. Don't ask me about link or post link self  :-X

British

I fail to see where the "dilemma" might be...

You backed a project that clearly states that RimWorld will be available to you as an non-final build in early november (basically next week), so what's your point ?

AcDie

Quote from: British on October 30, 2013, 06:35:45 AM
early november
mid november
QuoteI emailed Kickstarter about timing, and they told me I won't get a full backer report from them until the full two weeks after the project ends!
What this means for you is that you probably won't get the game until mid-November. I'll be looking at ways to get this bad boy out ASAP but that's the date for now.

British

Indeed, just read that.

Still, two weeks is nothing when you see most of the KS projects have nothing available after one year...

AcDie

Mucephorous

There isn't much of a dilemma, the delay isn't down to the developer and I think it may be wise to wait anyway, lack of content in early alpha can put a lot of people off so waiting another couple of weeks will see a more polished/fleshed out release.

I have had access to prison architect for a long time and I floated away from it early on, I could see the potential, but so many of the future possible scenarios I had in my head were clearly not gonna arrive any time soon (Introversion are notoriously slow in development, but it always works wonders in the end). I've gone back several times and as more content has been added and is working as intended I've played for longer and identified more bugs, being a more helpful playtester.

I understand the frustrations but I think you'll be more than happy when you receive closer to a playable game than an engine demonstration. I hope so at least as I'm one of the people waiting :)

Tynan

I'm gonna try to see if I can get a list from Kickstarter sooner than the two weeks. I just won't promise this is possible.

I don't plan on releasing the game for free to the whole Internet and then not updating it. I'd massively piss off the Influencer backers (who paid for earlier access), and the "demo" would hang around as a buggy albatross forever. An unfinished game isn't a demo, it's a first draft.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog