electricty questions

Started by Trallhatt, July 07, 2018, 04:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trallhatt

do wires needs to be roofed? there's no explanation how they are drawn (under ground?) the graphical representation is rather meaningless and the game does not give any info about it (afaik).

the "grid" that can be created of wires (from the source of electricity), does that makes electricity more reliable or is that for drawing to several sources?

Wood fired generators, do they need to be roofed?

I read a thread on Steam, for every answer there is ~3 saying "yes, absolutely" and 3 saying "no! believe me, i know, i have xxx hours, you are soooo wrong". so there's no way of knowing who's right. No one seems to understand how it works to be honest.

I guess it could be figured out by doing a game where i just try it in various way and write down what seems more reliable etc etc.

All this could be fixed so easily by just like 2 lines of text in the game..

Snafu_RW

Gennies need to be roofed; wires (conduits or their multiple flex attachment points) don't.. at least in B18; I don't expect this has changed in 1.0
Dom 8-)

mlzovozlm

does generators need to be? my last few runs on 1.0, i played full chemfuel+geothermal, n non of the generators roofed, no problem, as for breakdowns or zzzts, well, those happen all the time, i'm not sure it's any more frequent than when i use turbine+solar
as for wire, well, there's also chance lightning happens, so roof if u want

IndustryStandard

The only thing that needs to be roofed is the battery.

The reason you put wires into walls is so they are protected from attackers and for the Zzzt event. If a wire that is in a wall gets Zzzt'ed the explosion is heavily nullified, where if it was in a wooden wall or out in the open it could cause a fire.

mebe

Quote from: Trallhatt on July 07, 2018, 04:07:08 PM
the "grid" that can be created of wires (from the source of electricity), does that makes electricity more reliable or is that for drawing to several sources?

If I understand your question then yes, having a grid with multiple routes for electricity makes it less vulnerable to damage (enemies, zrrt, lightning etc) - if you lose a bit the electricity can still flow.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: mlzovozlm on July 07, 2018, 05:15:51 PM
does generators need to be? [...]
as for wire, well, there's also chance lightning happens, so roof if u want
It makes sense (tho may not be implemented) that fuelled gennies don't work (or fail catastrophically) in rain: fires need to continue to be restoked & leccy needs to flow. Certainly wood fires fail quickly in rain if unroofed.. why not fuelled gennies?

Plus potential genny deterioration costs ofc..

I'm deliberately discounting lightning as there's nothing you can do to pevent it short of roofing everywhere
Dom 8-)

Oblitus

Quote from: Snafu_RW on July 07, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
It makes sense (tho may not be implemented) that fuelled gennies don't work (or fail catastrophically) in rain: fires need to continue to be restoked & leccy needs to flow. Certainly wood fires fail quickly in rain if unroofed.. why not fuelled gennies?

Plus potential genny deterioration costs ofc..

I'm deliberately discounting lightning as there's nothing you can do to pevent it short of roofing everywhere
Wood fueled generator does not have open fire. And there should be protective housing. Though if batteries can't have one...

5thHorseman

See people say that generators must be roofed but every generator I've ever used was out in the open. Granted I'm not a cowboy on the fringes of space or anything.

But don't the generators have their own roofs? Its not like it's a campfire.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Trallhatt

Quote from: mebe on July 07, 2018, 05:48:39 PM
Quote from: Trallhatt on July 07, 2018, 04:07:08 PM

If I understand your question then yes, having a grid with multiple routes for electricity makes it less vulnerable to damage (enemies, zrrt, lightning etc) - if you lose a bit the electricity can still flow.

Ok. I didn't think it did a lot of difference to be honest, i thought it worked like that and did a lot of this. My camp was as constant zzzrrt, i think the camp fire was used more than the electrical stove due to this. Had plenty of (indoor) wood fueled generators, plenty of batteries (indoor too).. the only thing which was outdoors was wires, but it would make little sense if they need roofing..

Edit:
I see that in the latest build there's something called "waterproof conduit"? I don't think i've seen that before.

mebe

For going underwater - not rain protection

mlzovozlm

normally, i'd set up at least 2 separated power system, connected if needed with a single switch somewhere along the line, normally switched off, of course
each grid get connected with 2 different battery batches, each with 4-5 batteries (late game), so 8-10 batt. total, 1 batch get switched off once it get fully or almost fully charged