Combat Training

Started by Zombull, July 22, 2018, 04:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

If you have a pawn with low combat skills, especially melee, there's not much hope for improving them. Melee fighters really have no way of improving other than fighting enemies. So I suggest adding a way to train. This would also give pawns who can contribute nothing to the colony other than combat something to do between raids.

Melee Combat Training
New structure: Sparring dummies - Basically, hay-stuffed clothing in the shape of a human on a pole.

And a work type: Combat Training - When a pawn is ready to do this, they will look for another pawn that's also ready to do this or look for a sparring dummy to practice on alone. Sparring with a partner (or actual melee combat) would advance melee skills faster than a sparring dummy.

Ranged Combat Training
New structure: Bullseye Target - Simple wooden structure with a bullseye drawn on it.

Another work type: Marksman Training - This would require a Bullseye Target structure. This would advance shooting skill more slowly than hunting animals or shooting at enemies.

AileTheAlien

I think there was a mod or two that added structures like this. They would definitely be useful, especially if you're trying to keep a couple of your pawns are highly-trained soldiers. Right now, the lack of things to train weapon skill, plus skill degradation, means you'll rarely see a melee skill above 15 or so.

syterth

One option for melee training could be sparring. A sparring ring should be built or you simply designate two people to spar, and there they go. I think extreme injuries would be very rare, and bruising would happen, but otherwise very little chance of death or maiming. Given that this is Rimworld, I think a small chance should always remain.

Klomster

I'm all for training facilities.

It doesn't need to be fast.
But simple training dummies and/or sparring partners are classic and working ways of training melee combat.
Since at the moment IIRC, the best way to train melee is to down an animal, heal it, when its better have the guy hit the animal with fists repeatedly, repeat.......

This is inhumane and stupid.
"Oh gosh i'm getting so much better at parrying scyther blades by punching this poor dying turkey."
Since a training dummy let's you get a feel of your balance and getting in solid hits, while sparring partners provide a dynamic foe that moves and tries to defeat you in a controlled environment.
This makes infinitely more sense than punching turkeys.

This together with skill decay makes melee a skill you can't have really high in.