[1.0 - 1.3] T's Mods (New floors, bed colours, crops, meals, and cotton tweaks)

Started by Telkir, June 29, 2014, 10:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKGameOnly

OMG I read a few of the comments here about how great this mod is and and how hard it was to use.  I too have this mod and love it, but with my first 3 colonist and trying to get them beds and not floor models, the cotton was a nightmare to get.  he cotton plant took like a month or more to grow and research and manufacture, that my guys were sleeping on the ground for like 4 months before they got beds.  This was not at all what I wanted for my colony.  I wanted them to have royal colored beds so that they would get great mood and sleep and medical treatment if sick, but the wait was unbareable.  I dont know if I can stand to continue use of this as I want carpets too and I know i will never get carpet if it will take me over 4 months just to get 1 room carpeted, with all the steps it takes just to get cloth and how much is needed for each cloth from cotton.

thrakkemarn

Awesome mod! I especially love the crop flavors (pun intended!)

Quick question though, if I'm reading the mod files correctly, is this meant to be balanced? Cause it seems like carrots grow slower for no benefit, and lettuce is just way more valuable (both for salads and selling). I also noticed in game when I made hydroponics that the lettuce was growing as fast as potatoes. So it seems there's no reason to grow anything but lettuce (especially if your colony is in bad shape, it's the best by far).

Maybe I'm off base here, but if not it would be cool to have reasons for the different crops (or at least have them be equally good so that a mixed garden is more viable). Having a single crop is more efficient for cooking, so there's already disincentive to diversify, and it is weird using lettuce as a cash crop. (If I'm wrong please set me straight!)

Anyway hopefully constructive criticism. I'm trying to tweak the files myself but stumbling around a bit.

Telkir

Thanks PKGameOnly and thrakkemarn, you've both got some good points there that I'll try and sort out.

Crop balance: I'll check into this. Lettuces were supposed to take noticeable longer to grow, hence justifying their value for salad and increased trader value, but that isn't really the case at the moment. I'll tweak that. Although you only get one of them per crop, rather than the 3-5 of other crops, I'm not sure if a really good grower could end up producing more.

Beds: Yep, quite right, with my mod you can end up using sleeping spots for way too long. I have a solution for this in mind and will try to add it in the next version. Meanwhile, remember that you can now disassemble spare clothing into cloth - though this requires researching the tailoring bench, which may not be any quicker than going for the Cotton Processing route.

Patrykbono20

Maybe You add more compatibility for Superior Crafting and Apperello mods ?

PKGameOnly

Mind you I love the mod.  Best thing ever for a "Pretty Colony" in my eyes.  I will continue to use it and cry all the way until all my guys have Royal Beds in Multi colors with colorful carpets.  Thank goodness for the "Prepare Careful" mod, I can carry down with me LOTs and LOTs of cotton cloth before I land to now make this possible in the beginning.  Yea, I know a cheat, but for the sake of prettiness, yes, I want colored big beds.   ;D

Neutromancer

Nice mod. I've been using it with a lot of others, there is some specific incompatibility with Simple Medicine Craft, because it requires RawBerries and the Expanded Crops removes it.

Wouldn't it be simpler to keep RawBerries and reskin it as the mod's strawberries instead of replacing it by a different object, then add the others (blackberries etc)?

Not a huge deal for me since I just edited the recipe for medicine to use RawStrawberries, just sayin'.

thrakkemarn

Love this mod for the concepts. Unfortunately I had to stop using it for balance and compatiblity reasons =/

Recipes seem to conflict with other mods, as mentioned above, medicine and synthmeat and maybe others?

There's definitely something funky with the way lettuce and salads compare to simple meals. I'm not sure what their purpose is. They're simultaneously more complicated that straight potato farming/hunting, requiring two trips for a chef to gather the resources to cook, and more susceptible to crop failures because each individual lettuce needs to be harvested (so they don't even work as a backup raw food supply), and have a malus to eating them. I guess lettuce is a servicable cash crop but if you're at that point why not go into cotton or start devilstrand? I think salads need to give some sort of bonus, be cheaper to cook, or lettuce needs to be cheaper but grow at 2-3 per plot. Not sure though...

Beds are too hard without cheating for starting cloth, and growing cotton is already time consuming vs devilstrand, processing it makes it pretty useless until you have a lot of excess workers (and by then I don't think I'd need it anyway).

Anyway, hope you take this as constructive criticism, I'd really love to come back to the mod at a later version!

Telkir

@Neutromancer, that sounds like a good idea and unless I've forgotten about some reason why I specifically did away with RawBerries, I'll make that change in the next version. Save game breakage, ahoy!

@therakkemarn, I appreciate the honest feedback and I'll be doing my best to win you back with changes in the next release. ;)

Coming in 1.5.0:

● Fixes to lettuce growth time and pricing
● Useful salads - they now give a positive thought and award slightly more cooking experience than making a simple meal
● Another new cooking recipe fitting between fine and lavish meals that should benefit anyone who grows varied crops
● A mid- to late-game* medicine production route involving two new crop types
● Padded sleeping spots built with cotton fibre - give no negative thought and have slightly higher rest effectiveness

* For my tastes, I want medicine to require some reasonable effort to produce. The first iteration may not be to everyone's liking but we'll see how things pan out.

PKGameOnly

Did I just read that you added "Padded Sleeping Spots", you mean my first 3 guys and any unexpected prisoners dont have to sleep on the bear ground/dirt/grass and get stuff up their you know what anymore.  They will actually have a softer night's rest until the royal beds are built. I will raise my glass to you when I unable the old mod version and redownload the new version.  Oh please god dont let the "cotton fiber (hope cotton fibre is diff from cloth) take 2 months to manufacture   :P

gamy

Adds a new "salad" meal - needs a lettuce and five other pieces of fruit / veg

I don't have this choice on the stove menu. my cookers do regular meal  with lettuce but not specific veg meal. i don't see in the stove menu description it needs 1 lettuce+5 fruits.

KarolineDianne

Hello there. I've been using the Crops portion of this mod, and I rather like it if only due to having more of a variety in produce. (It's really depressing to have to eat nothing but potatoes.)

Just today, though, I did some updates to mods completely unrelated to this one. (EdB's preparation and interface mods, specifically), and all of a sudden... This happened.

Those weird whiteish grid-looking things? Those are carrots, tomatoes, and lettuce growing in my gardens, and beneath them are some blackberry bushes. It seems like everything added by this mod has suddenly had its sprites messed up, and I'm not sure what could have possibly caused that. If anyone can help me out, that'd be awesome!

shadowstreaker

Have you tried closing the game to windows and opening it again? Sometimes a restart is needed to get it to load up textures correctly

KarolineDianne

I have, actually. Turned off the entire game, reloaded it. Saved, restarted, the textures seem to have randomly disappeared D:

Telkir

Quote from: gamy on October 11, 2014, 10:37:40 AMI don't have (the salad) choice on the stove menu. my cookers do regular meal  with lettuce but not specific veg meal. i don't see in the stove menu description it needs 1 lettuce+5 fruits.

Are you using any other mods that define new cooking stove recipes?

Quote from: KarolineDianne on October 11, 2014, 03:07:57 PM
Just today, though, I did some updates to mods completely unrelated to this one. (EdB's preparation and interface mods, specifically), and all of a sudden... This happened.

(snip image)

Oho, yes indeed, that surely does look funky :)

It's a problem related to the "purple crosses" that show up in some places. Like shadowstreaker said, quitting the game and then restarting should solve it; the important thing is to always quit and reload after changing your mod menu settings, and you should never see corruption like this.

To try and explain the problem: Every time you start the game, Rimworld will remember the mods you had last selected and will load their data and graphics. If you go into the mod menu, anything (except Core) that was enabled as you entered the mod menu - and left enabled when you click the "Close" button - will have messed up graphics if you immediately load or start a new colony. It's a known bug that Rimworld has when reloading mod data.

Cysterion

Hey there, great mod, but I recently started using a few other mods and my textures went weird like the ones above. I have tried restarting to no avail. I am also using EdB interface and prepare carefully like the one above. The bushes have no texture, but the blackberries themselves do. I have no idea about the other plants as this was a brand new colony. Not sure how to insert an image so here is a link: http://imgur.com/UXiinO5. My cursor has a bush with a missing texture highlighted and you can see the proper blackberry on the bottom. I may be doing something wrong but I would guess it is a mod issue. Going to try disabling the EdB mods 1 at a time to see which is the issue. Will post if i figure it out.
EDIT: I diabled the EdB interface mod and sure enough the textures were back, re enabled it and then the textures were still there. Not sure if this is a loading order issue, EdB interface needs to be enabled last? For all with issue simply diable EdB, restart, then enable it. Should fix the issue.