Shock Turrets - A new solution to incapacitating.

Started by DeltaV, October 31, 2013, 04:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

From what I've gathered looking at stories, LPs and forum feedback, it seems the late-game is lacking in non-lethal ways of dispatching enemies, leading to a potential lack of new colonists and forcing players to rely on slave ships for new workers. As such, I present the following solution to this issue:

Shock Turrets
As the title implies, a shock turret is, well, a turret that shocks things instead of firing bullets. In no particular order, I've arranged some ideas into bullet points:

• The shock turret would fire only one shot in a burst, rather than the traditional 3/5.
• The shocks do very little damage, but have a good chance to stun and/or incapacitate the target.
• The turret would take up a 3x3 square rather than a 2x2, would be weaker health-wise, and would require a large amount of electricity per shot in addition to the constant usage; you'd likely need a separate few solar panels directly dedicated to the turrets if you wanted to run them in every fight.
• Incapacitated targets should still have, say, a 50% chance to die instead of being incapacitated (Too much electricity), so as to avoid huge colony population.
• When the turret explodes, it would deal shock damage in a large splash radius, ignoring walls (Since they conduct electricity) and half-cover. This means that you have to place your turrets strategically to avoid incapacitating half your colonists if it goes up. The explosion would also cause a large amount of power to drain from batteries and such, proportional to the amount drained by firing the turret.

Anyways, that's the idea for now; hope you guys like it. If you have anything to say, I'd love replies and criticism.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

ZeroProximity

I really feel like there are too many negatives for this device, unless that is, it is a long range turret. taking  out the enemy's long before they get near

GC13

Perhaps rather than augmentations to the existing turrets, we could place shock traps instead? They'd need to draw power, and they could be targetable if visible, so they'd be best used inside the base in case of a breach. That solves the overpopulation problem, and also adds a second-line (or third-line) defense to the game.