Psychic Drone balance

Started by Crazytoast42, July 05, 2014, 12:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on July 07, 2014, 02:02:32 PM
Quote from: sparda666 on July 07, 2014, 12:27:04 PM
Whats the lore of this psychic drone? some autonomous robot emitting waves that cause traumatic images in the colonists' minds?

Yes. And this event was disabled in Alpha5b.

When will Alpha 5b be coming out?
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Tynan

Quote from: vagineer1 on July 07, 2014, 02:18:01 PM
Whats the lore of this psychic drone? some autonomous robot emitting waves that cause traumatic images in the colonists' minds?

Yesterday, see ludeon.com.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on July 07, 2014, 02:24:33 PM
Quote from: vagineer1 on July 07, 2014, 02:18:01 PM

Yesterday, see ludeon.com.

Woops, my bad, I checked alpha 5 on my pc in the main menu earlier to see if there was an update. But nothing.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Kumai0214

So... Tynan.. That is a very mean mean trap! Hahaha.. Luckily though I survived with no colonists dead. I just ran into your little mechanoid ship trap and killed all of them.. However, what do I do with the bodies?

Tynan

Quote from: Kumai0214 on July 07, 2014, 04:35:14 PM
So... Tynan.. That is a very mean mean trap! Hahaha.. Luckily though I survived with no colonists dead. I just ran into your little mechanoid ship trap and killed all of them.. However, what do I do with the bodies?

Disassemble them at the machining table. You have to research it.

Cassey

Quote from: PsychoForge on July 05, 2014, 08:43:32 PM
I think if it hit only some of your colonists it would be better, hitting all is abit harsh when is nothing to remedy the problem as for the falling ship piece i havent had one yet so cannot comment but im hoping if i do get one i can bomb the hell out of it and smile from a distance. HOPE being alot of that statement hehe :) I also posted 2 other bugs in bug forum, one for cremation and other about burying people.

Does that work?  I tried once to bombard it with mortars but none ever fired.  May not have waited long enough...

Nurche

Quote from: Cassey on July 08, 2014, 03:07:02 PM
Quote from: PsychoForge on July 05, 2014, 08:43:32 PM
I think if it hit only some of your colonists it would be better, hitting all is abit harsh when is nothing to remedy the problem as for the falling ship piece i havent had one yet so cannot comment but im hoping if i do get one i can bomb the hell out of it and smile from a distance. HOPE being alot of that statement hehe :) I also posted 2 other bugs in bug forum, one for cremation and other about burying people.

Does that work?  I tried once to bombard it with mortars but none ever fired.  May not have waited long enough...

Yeah it works. You just need to select "set forced target" and select the enemy ship. They're really inaccurate though so it can take a good while to do it that way. You can select a mortar and you can see a countdown of when it will fire next - it takes 50 seconds to fire each shot plus aiming time.

One of my huge gripes with mortars though is that you have to manually select each mortal and select the "set forced target", rather then being able to select all of them and aiming them all at the same time. With 16 colonist it takes way longer then it should.

rimy86

Hey first post just wanted to say love the game!
I personally enjoyed the Psychic Drones, made the game a little more challenging.
Just an idea for balancing the psychic drones attacks, could they be adjusted individually depending on which AI Storyteller you choose?
e.g Chill Callie would have it disabled, Classic could have it activate late in game, Tough would be full from the start, and Randy could vary the effects from +10 to -25.
Or universally have it start at a low value (-5) and as the difficulty increases the negative value (-25).

Another idea could be to link the "psychic drone" attacks and Raiding party.
They could be a precursor to a raiding party (not both on at the same time, otherwise Raiders would be under the effect of the Psychic drones too >_<), e.g low psychic attack = small amount of raiders and vice versa.
This way there's a warning, but preparation for the attack will be harder due to the effect of the Psychic effect.

Just a couple of ideas. Great game and keep up the good work. Thanks

christhekiller

Just got hit by a psychic drone again. This time I had a bunch of rose gardens and such around where most of my colonists would be wandering and flower pots in their rooms and I didn't have much of a problem. Even while eating nutrient paste the flowers seemed to more-or-less balance things out

Untrustedlife

Encountered it in testing.

But I cant help but think some people are exaggerating...

People have learned how to deal with t, re-add it now clearly people just raged instantly because they didn't know how to deal with it.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Untrustedlife on July 12, 2014, 11:49:48 AM

People have learned how to deal with t, re-add it now clearly people just raged instantly because they didn't know how to deal with it.

That's because it can't be dealt with.

The problem isn't the event alone, it's the event compounded on top of other already-present issues with mood, i.e mass bodies post-combat.

In essence, it's the same issue of "all it takes is the wrong two events back to back to end a colony" that has been an issue for a while. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

christhekiller

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on July 14, 2014, 06:09:07 AM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on July 12, 2014, 11:49:48 AM

That's because it can't be dealt with.

The problem isn't the event alone, it's the event compounded on top of other already-present issues with mood, i.e mass bodies post-combat.

In essence, it's the same issue of "all it takes is the wrong two events back to back to end a colony" that has been an issue for a while. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Agreed. It's simple to combat if you don't get attacked or have other pressing issues. But if there is anything at all bugging them, such as bodies or darkness then they will go mad. My first encounter with a psychic drone was compounded with a Solar Flare and a few bodies lying around and it wasn't pretty. My last one didn't have any other compounding problems, other than eating nutrient paste, and I got through it with few warning of a Mental break.

Tynan

I'm planning on bringing it back, in a form where it only affects some of the colonists. This way, it can be dangerous, but you'll still have unaffected colonists to survive through the tough times and recover. The big problem before was that it would just wipe everyone.

Currently plan is to have it either affect only men or only women :D (psychic frequency or something).

sparda666

Quote from: Tynan on July 14, 2014, 10:03:27 AM
Currently plan is to have it either affect only men or only women :D (psychic frequency or something).

the psychic drone of PMS/Irritable Male Syndrome

Olek

Perhaps if you kept it the way it is, but introduced some way to counter it or lessen the effect, perhaps the AI chip that is retrieved from the first encounter can be changed to somehow lessen the effect, after researching/reverse engineering.