placing trees infront of sandbags worth it?

Started by Bobisme, September 18, 2018, 08:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobisme

i have a few turrets surrounded by sand bags, was wondering if it would be worth making a grow zone for trees in front of the turrets? 
I gather the game looks at LOS, is a row of trees worth it, or if it's gone that far the tree isn't going to do much? :)
I wouldn't think the trees would reduce the turrets ability to shoot that much though..

BLACK_FR

Quote from: Bobisme on September 18, 2018, 08:15:00 PM
i have a few turrets surrounded by sand bags, was wondering if it would be worth making a grow zone for trees in front of the turrets? 
I gather the game looks at LOS, is a row of trees worth it, or if it's gone that far the tree isn't going to do much? :)
I wouldn't think the trees would reduce the turrets ability to shoot that much though..

You can check cover from any point. Just send you pawn there, draft him and check what gives cover to turret and what's not by aiming at turret.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

sadpickle

I think it was established that sandbags don't give cover to turrets. Has that changed?

Putting traps in front of a turret or otherwise boxing it in some way with walls to prevent LOS from getting a bead on it (this also reduces turret LOS but can prevent snipers from plinking it down) can be effective.

Bobisme

I play B18, pointing a gun at a turret states 'sandbag stops 65%'

InventorRaccoon

Yeah, turrets do indeed benefit from cover, so you want to surround them in sandbags to improve their survivability.

BlackSmokeDMax

The only thing that matters for cover is the object directly in front of the pawn. You could have a 100 trees in a row and sand behind the last one. Only the last one would count for cover. The rest do not matter.

If anything, having trees between there would give the pawn approaching cover on the way.

lancar

I read in another post that only miniturrets benefit from sandbags fully. Apparantly, the 2x2 turrets only check for cover in the southwest corner tile, not the others.

This might get fixed at some point.

SYDWAD

there is a chance that a bullet will hit an object it is crossing over, idk if it depends on the object but i know this is a thing, that's why 3 thick sand bags is a bit safer than 1

Limdood

Quote from: SYDWAD on September 21, 2018, 12:11:04 AM
there is a chance that a bullet will hit an object it is crossing over, idk if it depends on the object but i know this is a thing, that's why 3 thick sand bags is a bit safer than 1

I think it can only hit pawns (animal, colonist, visitor, raider)...i've never seen a bullet stop on any other object significantly in front of it's target (not counting the miss radius that CAN have bullets hit objects) EXCEPT in the case of a solid wall (a shot that was going to miss to the side of the intended target instead hits a solid wall on the way there). 

SYDWAD

ive see it happen, if you have like 5 sand bags you will see that after a gun fight that the middle ones will be damaged, sometimes bullets will hit trees instead of flying through them.

lowdegger

Quote from: SYDWAD on September 21, 2018, 05:23:11 PM
ive see it happen, if you have like 5 sand bags you will see that after a gun fight that the middle ones will be damaged, sometimes bullets will hit trees instead of flying through them.

I think this is just bullets which have missed anyway damaging things around the target.

SYDWAD

i know there is a stat about how a bullet has a chance of hitting any object it passes over. But i don't know how to read the game files.