Emergent Gameplay, what's yours?

Started by Technical Ben, November 01, 2013, 04:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salt1219

i like the space squirrel thing, i would be tempted to keep it. not many people would notice and those that did would be treated to a funny little quirk in the game.

Littica

Quote from: Kevlar on November 02, 2013, 10:21:52 PM
I Knew It! Space Squirrel Invasion!

Dun-dun-DUN!

Reading this thread then this comment I had a funny mental image, Space Squirrel Invasion fought off using RPB! Rocket Propelled Boomrats!

Xanting

I had a friend send me a picture of his colony that he was playing on Randy Random. He told me that when a group of over 50 raiders landed he blew up all his colonists and let them wreck his base. Oh and he also told me that after a while some of the raiders went insane and started shooting the other raiders.

Oh and also he took advantage of the naturally growing food plants and got rid of all the grass so that he can have a blight immune food source.

nerys

Hmm I thought I found the trick to raiders. I keep one turrent and assumed the light raids were from only having one turret. I then plop down turrents as needed when a raid comes and then sell them once the raid is over.

I had assumed this was keeping the raids from getting larger. once it went to 5 or 8 raiders it was hopeless. they simply came faster than I could repair.

Xanting

From what I was told it seems to be directly linked to population and randy random isn't so random in this regard.

Technical Ben

Quote from: Tynan on November 02, 2013, 08:32:17 PM
I never even thought of how the animals would eat your potted plants. Awesome.

It would be even better if that boomrat went insane one day.
He did. Took like over 7 cycles. Technically killed his owner, but I savescummed cos I did not realize you could feed patients (doctor tag).
But as you mention in your "easy ideas" submission thread. These simple flags/actions that you can put on items do have interesting and relevant emergent results. For instance, in DF, a moody or insane unit is lost. :( But in your game, the "arrest " flag means you can constrain them. The "feed" flag means they get looked after (when I remember the doctor flag is the one that activates it). Then the "heal in bed" flag and the "talk to" flag means they can get better. Finally, you can "recruit" them again. This is so much more gameplay than even DF (though DF offers more story/notation/narration currently).

Oh, and the "all squirrels go insane" event almost took out the entire colony. :D

Scott Manley posted an interesting video. His own defenses exploded on him, it was the mines that caught fire! :O
http://youtu.be/xtMMBDXwBnw?t=4m41s