Sea Ice Community Challenge, updated for RimWorld 1.0

Started by Rhadamant, October 18, 2018, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhadamant

Greetings everyone!

I've updated the old sea ice community challenge for the release of RimWorld 1.0!

In this intro video I run through all of the settings and changes, but to summarize in text the scenario will have Randy Random Merciless as a storyteller, three permanent cold snaps on the starting area that you're required to live on.

No cannibalism
No butchering humans
No organ harvesting
No tainted apparel.
You can do missions, but you cannot harvest resources from any other areas other than your home zone.

The starting pawn is Serra Lear, a fairly skilled and passionate pawn and the win condition is to get her into space.

Good luck!

Here is the save game file for your enjoyment:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JenqVkM1TPczrRmAofIDwmmDe2xFAYAO

viperwasp

Neat idea... I'm not skilled enough I admit it. lol haha But I wish you all luck. I may attempt this one day. Busy doing stuff anyhow. But I like the idea thanks for posting.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

AileTheAlien

Why is organ-harvesting disallowed? Is it unbalanced compared to the costs of bionics later in the game?

Rhadamant

Feel free to cannibalize and organ harvest, the added rules are for added challenge! I'll be sticking to the rules, but if you don't want to, don't feel obligated to, it's plenty hard without the added rules.

jpinard

mebe

Ahh Rhadamant, way ahead of you (although I started about a month ago so not 1.0). To make it closer to the original I also disabled meteorites, herd migration and mad animals. It's been pretty rough but most of the ship is made but I don't have a core yet, not sure how I'm going to tackle that. The lack of trade ships, lack of easy scyther blade income and the recreation changes makes it, I think, harder than the original.

I've had to keep animals - both Alpacas for a while and then a Megasloth, it's been fun annoying in equal measures.

I'll watch your playthrough but I'm still finishing Noah's Ark. I'll post a screenshot of where I am up to later.

mebe

Quote from: jpinard on October 20, 2018, 11:35:59 AM
It's really possible to win this scenario?

Yes, it is. Watch Rhadamant's original videos on YouTube to see it done or the new ones to see it happening. I am obsessed with the purity of this challenge and have completed it on two different Rimworld versions and am part way through an attempt started somewhere after the last 1.0 went back to be A19.

You aren't alive unless its -110C outside and your clothes are good for -36C and your life is micromanaging to avoid frostbite. Oh and you've got just what you need sitting at the edge of the map but it's death to try to reach it. Recommend watching the videos.

Rhadamant

Hi jpinard,

Yes, it's totally possible to actually complete this scenario. It requires a lot of planning, micromanagement and some luck. I'm already four hours into my attempt and it's going very well. As mebe said, I too really love the purity of how extreme this scenario is, it requires things to be very carefully planned, calculated and thought out.

mebe

And I've just started watching it (How lucky is a drop of Alpaca??) seems you have gone for a higher resource start but upped the difficulty to merciless - interested to see how it plays out. Also you've made it way colder, -80C at the start is a lot colder than the original in summer?

Afterquake

Hi.
I discovered you on youtube a few days ago when you launched episode 1 and I decided to try it along with you =)
It's been an... interesting experience. Lots of dead colonists, lots...
I think I'm on my 17th playthrough or something like that, just managed to buy some stone blocks from a trader and I'm currently working on securing the base perimiter so I can hide without things killing my power! I had never tried Sea Ice before so there was alot of learning to be had :P

I do have one question though! Does taming animals count as harvesting resources from another tile?
I'm starved for good clothes as the parka I'm currently wearing is at 30% and every other pair just doesn't give enough insulation. But the traders seem unwilling to part with som wool for whatever reason =(
So I'm thinking of buying an alpaca or megasloth if possible, since they had fairly low hunger rates. I was also considering taming a muffalo in another tile, but I feel like that's cheating abit with the predetermined conditions of the playthrough!

Is there an official ruling to be had maybe?

//Afterquake

mebe

Can't give an unofficial ruling but having kept animals in these sea ice challenges I can say it isn't a walk in the park - they eat a huge amount and, particularly Alpacas, are vulnerable to hypothermia during a solar flare.

If you decide to do it a tip is that it is more food efficient to let them starve and be recovered to a sleeping spot than to keep a pile of food next to them. I lost one to this technique though when everyone had higher priority tasks.

viperwasp

Quote from: Rhadamant on October 21, 2018, 01:59:35 PM
I too really love the purity of how extreme this scenario is, it requires things to be very carefully planned, calculated and thought out.

I like it as well. I have been watching! You did get REALLY lucky in the start. But it's still possible without that luck. A new Rimworld player probably could not do this at all. lol

Also you know how everyone including myself said that Maps are warmer now? Well that is kind of true it seems. But more so I think colder is just rarer but they do exist. I have spent hours searching for Coldest and Hottest Seeds and guess what. I finally managed to find ones that are near or at the old record coldest... just 1F off from former coldest I have seen at least since A14 days. And maybe even including A14 days. lol 

And I'm still searching. Now I know all about your forcing in multiple cold snaps. But I still think it's awesome to find the coldest and hottest legit seeds.

Check it out. Hottest and Coldest Seeds... These may even help others with this challenge. lol Actually these seeds won't help because they are not Sea Ice... I may hunt for specific Sea Ice coldest eventually. But non-sea ice seems to be colder. lol
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43432.msg440830#msg440830
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Afterquake

Quote from: mebe on October 22, 2018, 02:53:24 PM
Can't give an unofficial ruling but having kept animals in these sea ice challenges I can say it isn't a walk in the park - they eat a huge amount and, particularly Alpacas, are vulnerable to hypothermia during a solar flare.

If you decide to do it a tip is that it is more food efficient to let them starve and be recovered to a sleeping spot than to keep a pile of food next to them. I lost one to this technique though when everyone had higher priority tasks.

Well, I bought a cow now which seems really efficient in matter of vegetable nutrition in - animal product out, since they have a lower hunger rate than a normal pawn and still produce 15 milk per day.
So this allows me to make fine meals in great quantities, and I'll start making some packaged survival meals for travels when the research for that gets completed. But right now I really need to focus on turrets cause those mechs are really starting to be a problem, so PSM will have to wait!

AileTheAlien

Since I died pretty early when I tried this last year, I'm doing an easier version of it:
- sea ice, but the farthest south I can get
- no permanent weather in the scenario editor
- I'm playing with mods (mostly my own :), but ones that (hopefully) are either balanced, or balanced for a hard trade-off (e.g. a stomach symbiote that gives you about the same food efficiency as a bionic stomach, but gives you a permanent mood debuff)
- I actually rolled a Gourmand and didn't realize it until I'd started...so that makes up for some difficulty a bit? :)

I'm surprised at my luck so far. I had a migration of iguanas and a drop-pod of agave early on, as well as a trader. Now I have a cloth tuque, iguana-skin parka, and enough food to last me until I can build a freezer (the one annoyance of not having a permanently-freezing map :P ).

EDIT:
I just got two elephants dead from a migration. I'll be rolling in silver for building walls, once I sell these tusks! :P

EDIT 2:
Well then...I guess the tiles on the way to a peace-quest were colder than my home. I died from hypothermia. :S