Overwhelming Waves

Started by ianfkyeah, July 11, 2014, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianfkyeah

So I tested my theory, and deconstructed all of my turrets, I had 3 colonists and 1 prisoner, and sandbags. The test showed that the amount of Bandits is not calculated based on the amount of colonists and turrets you have.

- Cassandra Classic
- Day 109
- 3 Colonists (Had 10+ but all died and I reformed with a random passer by joining the village.)
- 0 Turrets (I Deconstructed them to test.)
- Sandbags
- Fair resources
- Mods; Blastings Charges, Clutter, Core, Glassworks V, Miscellaneous, Project Armory, BetterCrops, Cotton, CottonCarpets, MoreFloors

Please calculate the amount of Bandits on the amount of Colonists/Turrets you have, and not on the amount of days passed!

Nickvr628

If I am correct the amount of raiders and their weapons depends mostly on how well the AI storyteller thinks you can defend yourself. I have had times where I lost all but 3 of my colonists from a massive raid, and then 3 days later another group came and I freaked out thinking it was the end of my colony. But it was only 3 raiders with pistols. So I think it is a combination of your defenses and how many days have passed.

ianfkyeah

Well with that logic it doesn't make any sense in my case; I had 4 colonists after all of my 10+ were wiped out and I had roughly 4 turrets yet I got a wave of about 15 bandits?

Doesn't seem logical to me, should definitely incorporate the amount of colonists you have is what i'm suggesting.

Halinder

Fifteen bandits with 4 colonists (or was that what the 10+ was, can't tell which one you meant for that specific situation) and four turrets is actually quite standard. Turrets can do plenty of damage and bandits tend to have weaker equipment than your settlers. A combo of turrets and colonists behind cover (slag, rock chunks, sandbags, etc.) is enough to do a large force in. Just remember that your turrets explode in a 3x3 radius and to make sure there's only one entrance to your colony so you can set up a choke point.

BetaSpectre

At some point there shouldn't be one HUGE group of raiders but multiple smaller groups each with a purpose.

Get in and steal or break and intimidate.

Raiders should try to extort colonists for money not risk their lives for little to no gain. If a colony is somehow strong but poor raiders should avoid them.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

ianfkyeah

Quote from: Halinder on July 11, 2014, 07:50:47 PM
Fifteen bandits with 4 colonists (or was that what the 10+ was, can't tell which one you meant for that specific situation) and four turrets is actually quite standard. Turrets can do plenty of damage and bandits tend to have weaker equipment than your settlers. A combo of turrets and colonists behind cover (slag, rock chunks, sandbags, etc.) is enough to do a large force in. Just remember that your turrets explode in a 3x3 radius and to make sure there's only one entrance to your colony so you can set up a choke point.

Check out my edited first post haha.

Evul

If I am not completely way out. Raiders is calculated by the material and stored value of colony also by the amount of colonists. That means the cooler and more awesome base you have the larger the raid becomes.

(Did not see anyone that brought that up.)

Untrustedlife

He never said what storyteller he was playing on, tell us which one are you on, and please share the save file.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

ianfkyeah

Quote from: Evul on July 13, 2014, 04:52:36 PM
If I am not completely way out. Raiders is calculated by the material and stored value of colony also by the amount of colonists. That means the cooler and more awesome base you have the larger the raid becomes.

(Did not see anyone that brought that up.)

That doesn't make any sense at all to be a basis, you may have tons of resources, but 1 Colonist and you are expected to take on a massive group of Bandits? Seems completely illogical, like I'm suggesting, being based on the Colonists and Defense weaponry you behold seems to be a far more sensible structure in my opinion.

But thank you for explaining the current basis of what waves are dependent on.

Quote from: Untrustedlife on July 13, 2014, 05:11:08 PM
He never said what storyteller he was playing on, tell us which one are you on, and please share the save file.

I did in the original post, I apologise, I recently updated the post with the screenshot and deleted all the information, it's now changed.

BetaSpectre

Raids would make sense if the raiders weren't here to kill you but raid your stockpiles to get your "wealth" but wealth should be in dropped resources that are take able

Raiders steal not go on suicidal charges.

Tribals should be determined in strength by a different formula, but shouldn't get larger than 20 guys tribes aren't moving cities.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO