Allow manual assignation of beds

Started by bjo0rn, July 16, 2014, 07:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjo0rn

Problem: Having control over who sleeps where is useful. Currently I need to assign an occupied bed to prisoners and make sure the colonist have only one alternative.

Solution: Allow player to manually assign beds.

BetaSpectre

Yep, this idea is commonly supported.

Lost a colony due to the bed problem, colonists will sleep in fire. and fighting fire makes them insane...Sigh
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Kirid

This has been suggested so many times but I think its underestimated how useful it will be.
Not being able to assign specific bedrooms affects the entire building layout of the colony.
It forces us to use standard block housing; pick a room size, then build row upon row of identical rooms.
It is possible to micromanage juggle people into rooms, but it ultimately futile.
I've completely given up trying to build colonies with houses near workstations.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Bog

It'd also be nice to be able to order people to go to sleep even when they're not tired..
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Tynan

Funny, this was in the ancient Eclipse Colony prototype; I removed it because people were spending all their time microing every colonist action like it was The Sims. It obscured what the game is about, which is abstracted control.

Still, assigning bed owners is a good idea and I have an idea for how to do it relatively easily.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shinzy

Quote from: Tynan on July 17, 2014, 11:26:52 PM
Funny, this was in the ancient Eclipse Colony prototype; I removed it because people were spending all their time microing every colonist action like it was The Sims. It obscured what the game is about, which is abstracted control.

Still, assigning bed owners is a good idea and I have an idea for how to do it relatively easily.

I really love the idea of the colonists leading their own lives
and being selfsufficient much like in Dungeon Keeper II
But they really really go all out on finding the furthest possible free area to bunk in
from their preferred 'job station' and I feel they do it just to spite me

sirdave79

Abstracted control is great. Letting them pick their own rooms certainly makes for more organic play. However I know when playing DF there are times when this can be very useful/borderline imperative for certain setups. The games timeframe and logistics again playing a part to make this more true (in my opinion) most likely in the same way DF does Overriding auto control on a per bed basis would be nice to make those very useful exceptions manually against a more abstracted backdrop. After all when your master crafter picks the bed furthest away from the workshop it doesnt make sense to not move it/him. Let the lowly scrubbers have the rooms furthest from the workshops they never use (or whatevers available).

If you wanted to set up a manned outpost at the fringe of your colony being able to pick a colonist or more to "man the area" at least sleeping in the beds there and doing a bit of manual job prioritisation and managing the tasks in the area might go a long way towards making available a rapid reaction force.

Picking bed owner by text string search for their names would be nice. (an improvement on df, I dont think dfhack search works for bed assignment).

bjo0rn

Quote from: Tynan on July 17, 2014, 11:26:52 PM

I'm all for abstracted control, you've done a great job on that.
However, sleeping spot is perhaps the one thing I wished I had more control over.

Maybe you can find a compromise solution, e.g. the player can select a "preferred bed", but it if a colonist is completely exhausted or in a bad mood and the preferred bed is too far away, they take the closest one. This way players like me feel in control yet the free will of the colonists is never violated as they are free to disobey.

bjo0rn

I just wanted to bring you the news that I just read the change log and it seems this has been fixed for next update. YAY! :)

esk81

I think that beds don't have to be owned by a single colonist. It has to be like a piece of food, reserved and used by the nearest sleepiest colonist just for that sleep time.

Tynan

This is now configurable in Alpha 6. You select the bed, click "assign owner", and choose from the list of colonists.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog