Abortion

Started by mayoculpa, March 13, 2019, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoculpa

Pretty simple. Every opportunity to recruit a colonist is a tough call - can we afford to feed another person?, are their skills a good fit?, etc. That nailbitingly difficult decision should go double for pregnancy. After all, a baby is basically a new colonist that you have zero idea what their traits are going to be AND they'll start out needing care and unable to do work. A baby at the wrong time could spell death for everyone.

Industrial and glitterworlds around the galaxy would have to have some type of abortion meds.  Heck, even some tribal worlds might have herbal stuff that could do it - Earth used to have a plant like that till the Romans used it up to the point of extinction.

It could work something like: the closer a pregnancy is to term, the more injured the mother is going to get by aborting. With doctor care only, the injury is much more likely to be severe or even fatal. Medicine would greatly reduce the odds of serious damage, especially early on, with glitterworld meds reducing it even more. If you catch it very early even herbal could have a good chance of aborting safely.

There could even be a trait where pawns really dislike abortion and get a mood debuff if they or another colonist have one.

Limdood

pregnancy of colonists doesn't exist in the vanilla game.

Therefore anything that affects colonist pregnancy can't exist in vanilla Rimworld.  If you're using a mod to add colonist pregnancy, then you should bring it up with the mod creator.  Regardless of whether or not anyone else WOULD be willing to help you, no one else CAN except the mod creator of the pregnancy mod you are using.

Unless you're not using mods at all and are just looking to troll the forums with a very inflammatory topic, in which case it was a really feeble troll attempt.

derped

Plus then we should have a whole industry made, for exchanging or selling the body-parts of the murdered babies, so yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen, maybe a modder will do it for you.

ps. I got a feeling you are right @Limdood...

mayoculpa

Quote from: Limdood on March 13, 2019, 01:37:37 PM
pregnancy of colonists doesn't exist in the vanilla game.

Oh snap.

That's actually a relief. I've only recently gotten the game, and I was assuming it just hadn't come up yet. I've seen stories in the forums where people had pregnant characters and didn't realize they were using a mod. Frankly I've been kind of stressing out about how to manage it.

And yeah derped brings up a great reason why leaving pawn pregnancy out of the vanilla game is probably wise. Regular ol' cannibalism and organ harvesting should be sufficiently grimdark for anybody -_-