[MOD] (Alpha 5) The Clay Mod v0.4

Started by mipen, July 19, 2014, 08:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mipen

The Clay Mod

Description:
The Clay Mod adds a new resource to the game called clay (get it?). Clay is acquired by first making a pool of water on the ground using a new machine called a terraformer. Then you can place a Clay Extractor over the water and it automatically extracts clay. You need to bake this soft clay into bricks using the Clay Oven. These can be used to build upgradeable walls, which are faster to construct than stone walls, and when fully upgraded can transmit power and will have nearly as much health. To store the large amounts of clay you may end up with, you can build a Clay Compressor. This will store up to 5000 clay inside it. Colonists haul clay to the machine for it to be stored. If you want to get clay out of it, press the Dispense Clay button (located on the Clay Compressor UI) and the Clay Compressor will spit out up to a stack at a time. Once it has dispensed some clay, it will not be able to store any clay for 30 seconds. Placing an automatic clay oven next to a clay compressor will produce clay bricks automatically. The auto clay oven takes clay directly from the clay compressor (this is the only way to feed it clay) and bakes it into bricks, hands free.

Features:
>>Automated production of a new resource 'clay'
>>New upgradeable clay brick wall structure
>>New clay brick floor

>>New late-game automatic miners
>Must research them, currently auto metal, silver and uranium miners. Have abililty to be used with other mod metals such as tin, copper etc. Just need the defName.
>Must be placed on a 'Fissure'. These can be created by using a 'Fissure Generator', which is unlocked via research.
>Each miner has a different fissure size requirement, and can only be placed on a fissure that meets that requirement.
>Pawns designated as miners will seek out these machines and operate them
>These machines dig deep into the ground and extract minerals (how much, how often and what is extracted is defined in a def)

Upcoming:
There are many upcoming features, like an automated crafting system for clay bricks using the clay compressor(done), automatic mining systems(done), and hydrogen generators! Plus many many more.

I welcome any and all feedback on how to improve the mod, plus any suggestions on things to add. Even if you just want to horribly abuse me, I'll still read and take in to consideration what you have said =]

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8n7yu51xtu1035/TheClayMod%20v0.4.rar

How to add a new AutoMiner:

If you want to add a new automatic miner, or edit an existing one, simply go to the mod ThingDefs folder and open the 'Miners.xml' file.
To add a new one, copy one of the existing miner's defs and paste it (to use as a template). Most of the def is the same as any vanilla building, so give your new miner a new defName and label. The tags you are looking to change to influence the miner's production are:
<timesPerDay> --This represents how many times a day (20,000 ticks) that a miner will produce something
<amountProducedPerDay> --This represents the total number of resources that the miner will produce each day
<resourceToProduce><thingDef>xxx</thingDef></resourceToProduce> --This represents the thingDef of the item or resource you want the miner to produce. Put the defName in the place of the above 'xxx'. You must do this because the miner class reads the resource to produce as a thingDef, and will not work if you leave out the tags <thingDef> between <resourceToProduce>. Note that it is possible to put any thingDef in here, such as a pawn or building. However it is strongly advised against because it could (and probably will) break the game. Please just put in resources or stackable items. To determine what size fissure the miner requires, you can put either: mip.OnFissureSmall, mip.OnFissureMedium, mip.OnFissureLarge or mip.OnFissureUniversal. Each is pretty self explanatory, however the universal one will let the miner be placed on any fissure.
To edit an existing miner, just change the values in any of those three tags in one of the existing miner defs.
Just like a vanilla work table, the miners require a WorkGiverDef for colonists to know what to do with them. If you create a new miner, you will need to go into the mod's WorkGiverDefs folder and open the BaseWorkGivers.xml file there. Copy and paste one of the workgiver defs for one of the miners (any will do, you are just using it as a template) and give it a new def name. To get colonists to use your new miner, you need to put the defName of the miner you created into the <workTableDef> tag. Give your new WorkGiverDef a new name, and if you want to, change the verb and gerund tags(these are optional, you can leave them the same if you wish). You can also change the <priorityInType> tag, to move the miner up or down on the priority list. A higher value makes the work more important than a low value (someone please correct me if I am wrong, I'm not 100% sure). And that's all to making your new miner!

Changelog:

[v0.4]
>>Miners now need to be placed on 'Fissures'
>>Added a new machine to produce fissures, called the fissure generator
>>Added new fissures: Small, Medium and Large
[v0.3]
>>Added new automatic miners
>>Added new workgiver and jobdrivers to automate pawns using the miners, now pawns designated as miners will seek out the miners and use them.
[v0.26]
>>Fixed power transmition bug
>>Reupload with assembly included
[v0.25]
>>Fixed clay walls upgrades
>>Added clay brick flooring
[v0.2]
>>Added the automatic clay oven, you can now automate making clay bricks.
>>Changes to the clay storage
>>fixed the material costs for the structures

Minato

Looks really interesting. I'll try it right now :D

Jerethi50

Uncle Sam wants you for the.... err, can i use your mod in my All In One Modpack ? :)

Minato

Quote from: Jerethi50 on July 19, 2014, 12:31:08 PM
Uncle Sam wants you for the.... err, can i use your mod in my All In One Modpack ? :)
Yes, please! I want to have it all together :D
Btw. Big fan! :D

mipen

Quote from: Jerethi50 link=topic=4858.msg46990#msg46990 date=14057

Sure, go ahead! :)

chaosgroupie

Where do I find the terra forming machine?

mipen

Quote from: chaosgroupie on July 19, 2014, 07:52:36 PM
It should be in misc once you have done the research. You must first research the fertilizer pump, and then the Terraformer research option unlocks

chaosgroupie

Quote from: mipen on July 19, 2014, 08:48:49 PM
It should be in misc once you have done the research. You must first research the fertilizer pump, and then the Terraformer research option unlocks

awesome, thanks  :D

mipen

Quote from: chaosgroupie on July 19, 2014, 08:52:01 PM
Quote from: mipen on July 19, 2014, 08:48:49 PM

awesome, thanks  :D
No problem! :D Let me know if you have any other questions

123nick

you should add clay floors to walk on. they would be both nice looking and making colonist happy and fast to walk on.

mipen

Quote from: 123nick on July 21, 2014, 04:36:09 PM
you should add clay floors to walk on. they would be both nice looking and making colonist happy and fast to walk on.
Coming up =] along with many other things :D

ncraiders

I am having an issue with the clay mod,  When i build the clay walls after a while the durability of the walls just starts to raise at its highest point that i saw it was almost 2000 durability.  And after loading the game sometimes my walls loose power conductivity even tho i researched it.  I am using this mod in conjunction with the betterpower mods wall lights.  i dont know if that might be the issue or not.

Geoblazer5

If a terraformer makes water in game, could it technically be used to make a lake, pond, or coast?

mipen

Quote from: ncraiders on July 21, 2014, 07:10:18 PM
I am having an issue with the clay mod,  When i build the clay walls after a while the durability of the walls just starts to raise at its highest point that i saw it was almost 2000 durability.  And after loading the game sometimes my walls loose power conductivity even tho i researched it.  I am using this mod in conjunction with the betterpower mods wall lights.  i dont know if that might be the issue or not.
That is strange. Is it happening when you save and reload the game?
Quote from: Geoblazer5 on July 21, 2014, 10:37:15 PM
If a terraformer makes water in game, could it technically be used to make a lake, pond, or coast?
The terraformer acts like the fertilizer pump; it will spread out a pool of water around itself, but stop after a certain radius. Unfortunately, the water is static and only slows movement speed down (potential use for a trap?)

ncraiders

To be honest i have only noticed it after saving the game and loading it later when i wanted to play again i can fix it by removing the doors lights and clay walls and rebuilding but then i loose resources so i decided to not use it in normal games till i can get it to work without having to rebuild the items all over.