[Mod] (Alpha 5D) Rimworld Extended v0.8

Started by Chiko, July 21, 2014, 05:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth1483

Quote from: PilotBhav04 on July 27, 2014, 06:58:52 PM
And I just realized this mod doesn't work with the Colonist Creation mod. Im no genius but if it works for some of you, sorry and ignore this. But this mod coupled with the Colonist creation mod makes the game amazing.

RimWorld Extended modifies the map generation thus CCM is incompatible with it.  If enough people get interested in this mod and complain about the incompatibility other modders may work out a compatibility file or, hey, maybe chiko would be willing to take a look at he mapgen code for CCM and change his accordingly.

Chiko

Quote from: Seth1483 on July 27, 2014, 09:03:04 PM
Quote from: PilotBhav04 on July 27, 2014, 06:58:52 PM
And I just realized this mod doesn't work with the Colonist Creation mod. Im no genius but if it works for some of you, sorry and ignore this. But this mod coupled with the Colonist creation mod makes the game amazing.

RimWorld Extended modifies the map generation thus CCM is incompatible with it.  If enough people get interested in this mod and complain about the incompatibility other modders may work out a compatibility file or, hey, maybe chiko would be willing to take a look at he mapgen code for CCM and change his accordingly.
Well, I just took a look and found out the only thing I need to change is just copy and replace a bit of code at the bottom of the mapgen. Imma releases a compatible fix containing just that file as a separated download.

The fix works but the file needs to replace the CCM mapgen instead of mine because of the mod loading order stuff. I just uploaded the fix and left the download link in the main page.

felixh

Quote from: Chiko on July 27, 2014, 12:45:11 PM
I've been testing it and I'm actually finding the game more easy and a bit slower paced, even with the more aggressive storytellers. I left a tips section in the main page for those having trouble.

This is the setup I usually go for when I start a new campaign:
(image deleted)
As I mentioned before, having the ability to trade is a lot more useful at first than having the ability to research. With that you could simply sell animal hides, fiber, etc. and be able to buy building materials or use the extra money to pay tribute to other factions and be able to ask for reinforcements when under attack.

I found an error with the Inferno Mortar, though. It displays more information that it can show in the screen. This is probably why there are no vanilla power requiring mortars. I will have to turn it into a turret instead. I will make it like something in between an artillery and turret.

Edit: I also managed to add new music but for some reason, the volume was like at half so you could barely hear the new tunes. I tried different things but I just decided to removed them and shelve the idea.

I tried your setup yesterday and it did work. However this mod makes the early stage of rimworld experience a puzzle game rather than a strategy/simulate game because you have to start with this specific build, otherwise you will get stuck and the game becomes unplayable. At least I think it is a good idea to add a "stone furnace" that requires only stone blocks to build to melt down metal ore with fuel at an increased cost of metal.

Chiko

Quote from: felixh on July 28, 2014, 02:19:44 AM
I've been testing it and I'm actually finding the game more easy and a bit slower paced, even with the more aggressive storytellers. I left a tips section in the main page for those having trouble.

This is the setup I usually go for when I start a new campaign:
(image deleted)
As I mentioned before, having the ability to trade is a lot more useful at first than having the ability to research. With that you could simply sell animal hides, fiber, etc. and be able to buy building materials or use the extra money to pay tribute to other factions and be able to ask for reinforcements when under attack.

I found an error with the Inferno Mortar, though. It displays more information that it can show in the screen. This is probably why there are no vanilla power requiring mortars. I will have to turn it into a turret instead. I will make it like something in between an artillery and turret.

Edit: I also managed to add new music but for some reason, the volume was like at half so you could barely hear the new tunes. I tried different things but I just decided to removed them and shelve the idea.

I tried your setup yesterday and it did work. However this mod makes the early stage of rimworld experience a puzzle game rather than a strategy/simulate game because you have to start with this specific build, otherwise you will get stuck and the game becomes unplayable. At least I think it is a good idea to add a "stone furnace" that requires only stone blocks to build to melt down metal ore with fuel at an increased cost of metal.
I want to add like tiers of the same building types and a stone smelter sounds about right with that. What I have in mind was to add charcoal into the game as a required "fuel" for early low tech buildings like that stone smelter you mention. I also wanted to make it so you could power buildings with charcoal but that requires me messing with dll, which is something I'm trying to avoid.

felixh

Quote from: Chiko on July 28, 2014, 02:27:56 AM
Quote from: felixh on July 28, 2014, 02:19:44 AM

I want to add like tiers of the same building types and a stone smelter sounds about right with that. What I have in mind was to add charcoal into the game as a required "fuel" for early low tech buildings like that stone smelter you mention. I also wanted to make it so you could power buildings with charcoal but that requires me messing with dll, which is something I'm trying to avoid.
You can just use logs for fuel for now, as required material in crafting recipes. That should not require c# coding.

FYI, Haplo, the author of "misc. & MAI", posteed an example of how to make a modding .dll (http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3408.0). If you want to further develop your mod, it may be helpful.

Chiko

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for dll modding threads and this one I didn't see.

Chiko

I've been working on the next update. The furnace will be available from the start, won't need electricity and will also be used to make charcoal. The Basic Smelter doesn't need electricity but their recipes to melt scrap metal and ores into bars require charcoal and take a bit longer than when done with the Electric Smelter. I made it so these buildings need more stone than metal bars.

I also made a Basic Stove that doesn't need electricity to work but needs logs in their recipes instead. But for some reason, it doesn't work. It can cook grilled steaks or simple meals. I'll try something else later but if I can't find a way to implement it, I will have to make use electricity but like half.

Chiko

New update for today. I managed to fix the issue with the Basic Stove and I added some extra stuff:

-Made the Furnace available from the start since it's now needed to make charcoal, a basic crafting ingredient. It doesn't need electricity anymore but now needs charcoal to destroy apparel and corpses.
-Added Basic Smelter, which is available from the start. It's an improvised version of the electric one, which needs charcoal instead of electricity to melt scrap metal and ores. It takes more time and gives less resources too and it also lacks the ability to extract uranium from metal ore.
-Added Basic Stove, an improvised stone version of the Cooking Station. It needs either logs or charcoal to cook instead of electricity. It can be used to make grilled steaks or simple meals.
-Cooking Station now needs to be researched in order to be available for construction.
-Made some early buildings need less Metal Bars and more of the other basic materials like Planks and Stone Blocks.
-Changed the Inferno Mortar into Inferno Turret because of error with electric mortars. It has less range but can fire faster.
-All Turrets and Mortars now have better "health" and can take more punishment before being destroyed.
-Crossbows now have better firing speed.

2rok

Hey, nice work with your mod! Just a thought from me:

Maybe you could add a change log to your front page post so it's easier to keep track of new changes.

Chiko

I've been meaning the do that for a while but I always forget to do that. xD

Also, I just found a bug with the Basic Stove again... The food prepared from it cannot be eaten by anyone. Pawns just keep trying to eat the same food until they either mental break on you or die.

I've been digging around the files to see what the problem is and the reason was because one of the ingredients is not edible = the Logs or Charcoal used to cook them. I have 3 options to fix this that would be best to need some feedback:

1-Simply make the basic stove electric, but it would naturally need less power to work.
2-Make logs edible but that would mean animals would prey on logs and your colonists would eat them when there's nothing else to eat.
3-Delete it and just revert to the Cooking Station being the only one.

Dr. Z

In the pawn stats I saw something like "minimal food quality", to prevent colonists from eating grass and stuff I think, so maybe you could make the logs eatable but of such a quality that only animals eat them, if it works like I think they would then eat the meal because it gets a new food quality. You would also have to protect your logs from animals so this would be a new tactical element and at least not THAT unrealistic.

If that doesn't work I would make them eatable anyway, because if there's really nothing else, why don't eat wood? As long as you survive...
Prasie the Squirrel!

Chiko

Quote from: Dr. Z on July 29, 2014, 01:47:00 PM
In the pawn stats I saw something like "minimal food quality", to prevent colonists from eating grass and stuff I think, so maybe you could make the logs eatable but of such a quality that only animals eat them, if it works like I think they would then eat the meal because it gets a new food quality. You would also have to protect your logs from animals so this would be a new tactical element and at least not THAT unrealistic.

If that doesn't work I would make them eatable anyway, because if there's really nothing else, why don't eat wood? As long as you survive...
Funnily enough, I watched a documentary yesterday about sieges on tv. Starving ppl would start eating their pets, then dead people, then bones and then chairs and tables... so as you say, it's not that unrealistic.

What I could do is to give logs the food quality of None, which means if not even raw food is available, then colonists would start eating wood, which should feed very little and cause mental breaks, if I attach a related thought for eating wood.

About animals... They are simple too hungry, IMO. They search and cleanse the entire map of grass and plants. What about making Muffalos and Squirrels immune to hunger? It would make animals less of a threat to the ecosystem. xD

Boomrats I will leave alone, though. They should be like the ultimate vermin and feats upon your unprotected foodstuff and logs.

Dr. Z

The vegetation is balanced around the fact that animals eat plants, I see no point in making animals immune to hunger plus you have to protect your food and fields so you would take challange away from eraly game. I'm not sure if colonists would eat something with food quality "None" at all because I think the minimal quality for them is "Raw". But go ahead and do that, we will see if it works. If they would eat it, it would be even better.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Chiko

Quote from: Dr. Z on July 29, 2014, 03:41:38 PM
The vegetation is balanced around the fact that animals eat plants, I see no point in making animals immune to hunger plus you have to protect your food and fields so you would take challange away from eraly game. I'm not sure if colonists would eat something with food quality "None" at all because I think the minimal quality for them is "Raw". But go ahead and do that, we will see if it works. If they would eat it, it would be even better.
Is there a way to rebalance that a bit more? because after ending with most of the plant life in the map, animal life will simply start to starve and die nonstop since they respawn, and leave players with tons of free animal corpses to butcher.

I tried giving them a higher hunger threshold but they will continue to eat anything in sight even when just slightly hungry. Also, it seems that the Herbivorous/Carnivorous/Omnivorous tags in pawn diets don't work because I keep seeing muffalos and squirrels eating meat. :P

Dr. Z

From what I know, animaly can't starve at all. I discovered this a while ago when I accidently build in a boomrat in a locked up room, but it was some Alphas ago so I don't know if it's changed.

Anyway, I'm still not getting why you want to change it. I never had an issue with animals eating to many plants. Did you accidently turn off the respawn of plants or something like that?
Prasie the Squirrel!