How to remove texture background

Started by Vehicular_Zombicide, July 04, 2019, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vehicular_Zombicide

I'm trying to edit the textures for a preexisting mod, but all the textures I've edited end up surrounded by a white square, because the background of the png file isn't transparent for some reason- but the unedited textures don't have that issue. It's a bit of a dumb question, but how do I remove the background to fix this?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Kirby23590

Do you have Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.net, or just any Graphic software?

I think you need to add a Alpha layer which adds transparency with the magic wand tool... To remove all the white background around your image and sprite.

Since microsoft paint doesn't have any way of adding transparency or alpha layers to remove that ugly white square background.

I use GIMP 2.8.33 BTW...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Vehicular_Zombicide

Yeah, I have paint.net but it lists the initial photo as the background layer. Is there any way to alter which layer is the background?

K

The background layer in paint.net isn't privileged over any other layers. You can rename it, reorder it, and do anything else with it that you can do with normal layers. The actual background layer is just the bottom-most layer, regardless of name.

Kirby23590

Paint.net... Then follow these steps here.

Try using the Magic wand on the white background and press then after that press the delete key button on your keyboard... It should show the grey and white checkers as the background around it instead, then try saving it as a PNG and try checking if the background and the sprite will no longer show off a ugly white square around it.

Using the Windows Photo Viewer or any Image viewer to know if the background is now transparent will let you know the white square is gone...

JPEG and GIF readds the white square background on your sprite, so save it in PNG.

Yeah also have Paint.net as well... But i use GIMP more but still have some familiarity with both of them along with PS.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.