childhood, backgrounds and being unable to do jobs

Started by TrashMan, July 25, 2014, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 25, 2014, 06:44:19 PM
Nobles really will rather starve to death then do any real work IRL hence why most are gone now.

This is sarcasm, right?

I wonder if any one of you guys has even been really hungry? I mean the pure hunger you experience when you haven't eaten anything for 2-3 days.
Trust me, you'd do ANYTHING then just to get something to eat. You'd eat the most horrific food, food you normally wouldn't even consider. You'd eat s***, bugs or whatever.

Dying from hanger is horribly slow and painful. Also, survival instinct.

Shinzy

Quote from: TrashMan on July 26, 2014, 12:12:58 PM
Nobles really will rather starve to death then do any real work IRL hence why most are gone now.

This is sarcasm, right?

I wonder if any one of you guys has even been really hungry? I mean the pure hunger you experience when you haven't eaten anything for 2-3 days.
Trust me, you'd do ANYTHING then just to get something to eat. You'd eat the most horrific food, food you normally wouldn't even consider. You'd eat s***, bugs or whatever.

Dying from hanger is horribly slow and painful. Also, survival instinct.

Yeah the statement should be something more in the lines of
"Nobles really will rather eat paste from the dispenser than cook"
=P

Rahjital

Perhaps the colonists who don't want to do certain jobs could be forced to, but they would do it with level 0 effectivity and get a severe unhappy thought (-25 "Had to something I absolutely despise")? People refusing certain jobs is fun most of the time, but then there are the cases when you have 7 colonists and only one of them can haul and clean.

Somz

Quote from: Rahjital on July 26, 2014, 03:22:28 PM
Perhaps the colonists who don't want to do certain jobs could be forced to, but they would do it with level 0 effectivity and get a severe unhappy thought (-25 "Had to something I absolutely despise")? People refusing certain jobs is fun most of the time, but then there are the cases when you have 7 colonists and only one of them can haul and clean.

Or when the whole colony's burning all around, most of the other colonists are incapped but the one in perfect health refuses put out the fire and starts eating on a burning table.
He died by the way, I executed him. Gotta love playing god. (。◕‿‿◕。)
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

Rahjital

Quote from: Cyst on July 27, 2014, 07:30:16 AM
Or when the whole colony's burning all around, most of the other colonists are incapped but the one in perfect health refuses put out the fire and starts eating on a burning table.

Ah, but you could have forced him to fight the fire by drafting him and sending him near it... poor colonist, he didn't have to die :'(

Shinzy

Quote from: Cyst on July 27, 2014, 07:30:16 AM
Quote from: Rahjital on July 26, 2014, 03:22:28 PM

ohh makes me wish the colonists afraid of fire would really be afraid of it
like flip out and panic sort of "THeeeRee's a fire on the taaableeee!! somebodytakeitouuutt nooooooooooow ohshitohshitoshit!"

I had colonist Johnson (McClane once who was afraid of fire and I got attacked by tribals right after being sieged. everyone else were already mad and imprisoned, tribals start to whack the walls of my buildings and let the prisoners free
but Johnson had a shotgun, he killed half of the tribals on his own cause they were more focused on trashing my buildings
so I could get them one on one in most cases
ofc I started taking screenies of him fighting the tribal in the "diner" after I thought
I could actually survive this.. but um.. mental break!

There's no happy endings in RimWorld
only occasional badassery

oh and he was afraid of fire, to link any of this to be on topic :-[
and and I had a burning table too

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Rahjital

Quote from: Shinzy on July 28, 2014, 02:51:07 AM
There's no happy endings in RimWorld
only occasional badassery

Now that's something quote-worthy!

Somz

Quote from: Rahjital on July 27, 2014, 05:56:19 PM

Ah, but you could have forced him to fight the fire by drafting him and sending him near it... poor colonist, he didn't have to die :'(

Nah, as I said the now ex-colonist refused to put out the fire, he was unable to do it and it cost the colony a fortune. He had to go, for the rest of the colony. (。◕‿‿◕。)
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

supruzr

Most of the backstories provide disadvantages. Some are totally without function and act only as flavor. This is meant to be a difficult game. You can reroll any number of times you want without CCM and pick and choose exactly what you want with CCM.

If you want to start in the easiest possible way, generate 5 characters with backstory: Shelter Child / Spaceship Salesman, and you can make each colonist an expert in 3-4 different skills. Since Melee, Medicine, and Artistic are all totally useless, and Social is half useless, there are only 7 important skils to cultivate.

If you don't want to start in the easiest possible way, then what's the gripe here, exactly?

TrashMan

Sanity. Logic.
And dislike of "artificial" difficulty.

Modi_Operandus

I think things will get even more strange when personal traits are incorporated to the game as well. I kind of like the random things that certain people can't do. I like to trying to figure out the backstory of the colonist with the random traits they receive. Going as far as deciding that someone who can't haul must only have one arm.

w00d

i started a random game and got 3 guys who would not do any manual labour. So they would not build, would not haul and errr yeah... so they all quit from starvation.

tbh i agree that these traits are a waste of time unless they give massive boosts in other areas which these guys did not have

putsam

I agree on the Hauling part for 99% of cases where you can't haul items

But I do rather like that there are some jobs that people are simply unable to do RIGHT.
You should be able to draft all people to do any job, but their mood is what is affected when they do the jobs.

An Empath who shoots a gun will GO INSANNNNENENEN thus meaning it'd be better if they never did that job. But you should be able to force them to do it to your own detriment.

Funny cause my empathy had a mental breakdown and beat the crap out of my lv 20 hunter. the hunter had half health and only hit 1/4 times while the empathy hit every time

bobucles

When's the last time you saw a guy suffer a mental breakdown and only one cop is needed to restrain him? Dude. Send the whole crew.

There is such a thing is being so woefully incompetent or scared or insecure that a person can refuse to do much of ANY job. That's why NEETs exist!

StorymasterQ

Quote from: bobucles on August 08, 2014, 06:57:29 AM
There is such a thing is being so woefully incompetent or scared or insecure that a person can refuse to do much of ANY job. That's why NEETs exist!

Are you saying that NEETs are nobles?!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here